Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » .

David Archer
RJ: BallC
CO: BallC

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 142
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
My initial, gut-level reaction to your musings is that you all sure over-think the most trivial things sometimes. That being said, it is an interesting thread.

I think you have to divide the question, first off. Are you putting up retail, or industrial wholesale products? If you are putting up retail, then you need to discount more than 25% for anyone but the most desperate to purchase your product, depending a little bit on the price scale you are working in. I might pay 75% of retail for a car, for instance, but not a chair or set of golf clubs. I need to see more like 40% gross margin available to me for a retail product, or it really isn't worth it.

If you are selling wholesale resources, whether first tier or third tier, I think you have to make several determinations. Are you leaving a buyer room to manufacture a price-competitive product with your resources, or are you trying to gouge him? If you don't leave him/her room to profit him/her self, you are probably not going to sell much. I think this kind of wholesaling is the easiest, and fraught with the most pitfalls. To wit:

-If you let yourself worry about arbitragers, you are lost. Who cares who buys it? Your goal is just to sell it! If some idiot wants to buy you out and re-list at a higher price, so what. Did you make what you needed to do what you want to do? I have listed at 10X cost, a very reasonable margin, and still been half of the rest of the B2B. I sold, and sold again the next day while the next lowest price still sat there.

-If you worry(too much) about what others are doing to undercut you, you are probably not going to make enough. If you let another yahoo that is giving it away at a 50% markup, and it isn't enough to really make anything, dictate what you do, when you know you need at least 3X cost for an appropriate ROI, you will not succeed. Figure your necessary return, and go with it. Smart players will suck up the yahoo's goods, and still buy from you too, because you are there in the long run, and you give them a fair price that allows them to succeed as well. You are a reliable vendor to them. I have bypassed the "best" price to buy for a little bit more from a vendor I found to be that reliable. I also bought his stock, eventually, which made me a more dependable customer, too.

I could go on about ways you can out think the problem, but I would bet you get the idea. Just worry about taking care of your business, and let the overall economy do its own thing.

As for multiple listings, I find it a absurd waste of time, unless the quality of the goods is different. The idea that you would charge more for a bigger lot is, of course down right dumber than a mud puddle. Economies of Scale! Kinda says it all. Do you expect your suppliers in RL to charge you more per piece for ordering a million instead of a hundred? Anyone that stupid won't be around long. And if you let yourself worry about them, instead of focusing on worthwhile trading partners, neither will you. As for the long chain of listings by a single player of the same goods...whatever. My great Uncle was the wisest man I ever knew. He used to ask me relentlessly if I was smarter than any inanimate object I was frustrated by, or not? Point being, it is a list on a screen. Is it more than you can handle because some idiot played around on it? Probably not. And they make themselves look like idiots that are too dumb to want to do business with, so they only hurt themselves, ultimately.
Of course, you also admit that you buy for the sake of not typing a number in a box, so maybe they aren't all that stupid, either.

I see no reason to even look at the "New" page except when I am transferring goods. I want to see immediately what the price structure is, so I go to Store or Cat pages. There, you cannot get blinded by the chaos, because there isn't any.

This was a great basket of thoughts. Thanks for making me think it through in words. I hope this isn't too much of a rant. I am interested in what others will say here, as well. Good luck.

Brent Goode

+ / -

I don't disagree with many of the principles you you want to go with. But I also assumed some things. If 2X cost is THE retail of the day, then I still won't buy a lousy 25% margin except out of sheer desperation. And if that is the going wholesale margin, then the retail is too low. It just is.

If you are trying to find a happy medium to insulate against "most" arbitrage, then you are likely not focused on the arbitrage, per-se, but just finding a fair place to price. Even so, arbitraging will seldom ever figure into my own thinking. I just don't care.

"Undercutting" should not be your goal. Being at "the current fair market" should be your goal. If someone is at .05 for power, are you automatically going to .04, even when 99% of the other listings are at .09? You are probably going to list at .09, or maybe .08 if you are desperate for cash. The automatic assumption is that you want to be on the lower end of the spectrum. That is a lot different from always wanting to be the "lowest bar none." (quality issues being equal) I don't mind giving a buyer a deal, of they happen to come along on a low price that I offered, and I got what I wanted out of it. But I also don't mind waiting for a fair and reasonable price, while a couple of low-ballers get out of the way first, either.

All of which leaves you back where you sort of ended up on your first post. Don't we just end up eye-balling it and making spur of the moment decisions because the nature of the game is one of fluidity and flux?
Nathan Dilday
RJ: ndkid
CO: ndkid

Post Rating: -12
+ / -

Total Posts: 47
Post hidden due to its low rating (click here to show post)
Brent Goode

+ / -

For goods that are retail-only, selling them at anything lower than you could make at retail is, I think, a mistake.

Then, why have you placed them on the market at all? The only buyer is another retailer. And if you are the one putting goods out at retail, you are the one everyone else will be setting prices against...and they will be lower than you, because they know why they are there in the first place. To try to wholesale a finished product at, or near, retail is economic suicide. If your thinking is that you can squeeze your buyer's profits this way, and gain share for yourself, you are mistaken. They will just not buy from you, and your expenses and resources sit dead in the water, making you no profit whatsoever. You are actually creating a great opportunity...for someone else.

After thinking more about your post, are you saying he just shouldn't be putting anything on the market at all? If so, you are probably right about expanding stores, etc...but may be missing the point about why he IS putting goods on the B2B.

You need to register or login to post a reply.