Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS Newbie Station » a 800m store VS 2 * 400m stores, which is better?

a 800m store VS 2 * 400m stores, which is better?

Weicong Sng
RJ: Park Min Young
CO: Psychotic Nutcase

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 59
Can someone list down the advantages/disadvantages of each arrangement for me?

I currently have a 400m store, upgrading to say, 800m would mean 100 whopping hours of down time. That's 4days and 4hours for you, and that's A LOT of profits lost. I'm thinking of having a second 400m store.

and if you extrapolate from here, since I have like maximum 12 store slots (6 free slots and 6 extra slots which i have to pay for).... I may as well use them all right? Maybe I should burn all 12 slots on the same store.... If I open up all the land slots for my stores, build 11 more stores and then subsequently upgrade them accordingly, all it takes is around 4-5 days for me to have 12 stores of 400m each. 4-5 days to reach 4800m of store? And subsequent upgrades, I can decide to upgrade just 1 store at a time, the other 11 stores remain functioning and i lose only 1/12 which is like 8.5% of profits throughout the upgrade time.

Well the problem is that in terms of selling speed of 2*400m stores = selling speed of 800m store, am i right to say this? Even if this assumption do not hold..... Surely it beats upgrading my one single store at snail pace and having 0 revenue/profits throughout...
eric scott
RJ: Erik Scott
CO: Sappo

+ / -

Total Posts: 130
I know the discussion came up about maintainance fees, specifically that operating 2 buildings of equal dimensions will cost more than operating 1 building of same.

So that is one point, having 5x500m2 buildings might (in the future) cost more than having 1x2500m2 building.

Weicong Sng

+ / -

I really need more input on this, data on the cost of building maintenance between 1 x 2500m2 VS 5 x 500m2 would help.
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 167
At the moment, maintenance fees for multiple facilities vs. a single facility are identical -- it's linear with square meterage.

Salaries scale up exponentially, m^1.2 last I heard from Scott in the forums, though I'm not clear on whether they scale with total square meterage owned by a company or with the square meterage of each facility. If the former, there's no difference between multiple facilities vs. a single facility; if the latter, your advantage for now is with multiple smaller facilities.

That could change in the future.

For any business turning a decent profit on daily production and/or sales, the opportunity cost of having your sole facility shut down for a serious length of time probably justifies the multiple facilities approach if you have the land to spare. So if you are, or intend to remain, a fairly specialty company such that you'll have extra paid-for-already lots sitting around unused, go ahead and site that duplicate facility or five.

If you have to shell out some pile of extra millions just to unlock another hectare of Econosian real estate because you're already using all six-or-ten that you start with, factor that into your calculus. If you're a cap-level company with tens or hundreds of millions of net worth, that's not a big deal; if you're still quite small and an extra million bucks (or eight million, or twenty seven million) of irretrievable sunk costs is a serious issue, consider just stocking up a bit and shutting your facility down for expansion instead at this juncture.

Very short answer: in your situation, you would not be harmed monetarily and MIGHT be have a direct financial improvement in salary costs by doing multiple small facilities.

The one caveat here, and one that someone with direct experience here would have to address: my assumption is that if you have multiple stores of the same type, you need to maintain inventory for each of them independently. Which means that if you have five shops instead of one, you're spending five times as much time fiddling with the store interface. Which, in my opinion, is an overwhelmingly compelling reason to stick with downtime on the expansion of a single flagship store, because to hell with that.

An improved store interface may make that less of an issue in the long run.
Weicong Sng

+ / -

oh great setting prices is done individually each stores? ohhhh GREAT :(
Innocent Bystander
RJ: Matthew Matician

+ / -

Total Posts: 76
I can confirm to the contrary that settings are global across same-type shops in a single business. I set prices and which quality goods to sell in one shop, and the rest mirror it. You can get away with clicking on only ever clicking on one shop.
Innocent Bystander

+ / -

Although you do have to set advertising on a per-store basis. But that doesn't have to be done all the time.
Weicong Sng

+ / -

So multiple stores is better than 1 single store of combined size? The way I see it right now,the profit lost from upgrading a single huge store far outweighs the losses due to loss of economies of scale by spreading into many smaller sized stores?
Innocent Bystander

+ / -

Depends on your goal. Like Josh said, if you have unused spaces and you're not planning on using them for anything else ever? Then yeah, multiple stores are probably the way to go.

The other downside to multiple stores is that advertising is less effective per dollar: I need to pay advertising on a per store basis and, because advertising is more effective the larger the store is, the less effective it is (per dollar spent) than lots of small stores.
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

+ / -

Total Posts: 167
I can confirm to the contrary that settings are global across same-type shops in a single business. I set prices and which quality goods to sell in one shop, and the rest mirror it. You can get away with clicking on only ever clicking on one shop.

That's a relief, then. Thanks for clarifying!

You need to register or login to post a reply.