Bots

Previous [1] 2 Next
Huginn penis
RJ: Kou Ichinomiya
CO: Huginn RollbackRequester

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 31
When I check my company news I see quite a lot of bots active, buying 1-X of a product. Especially the ones buying 1-50 integrated circuits every 15 minutes.

Made me wonder:
-Should we as a community report such events?
-Are these types of bots considered legal?
-Is this something we allow just because it is hard to tackle and doesn't give a big edge anyways.

I'm mostly curious about the 1st point: Should we and how many of us are willing to report such events and how many of us dislike bot usage overall? ( I assume that if there are enough people who would there will be counter measures )
Hajji Pajji
RJ: Trade Merchant
CO: VonDutch

+ / -

Total Posts: 194
I'm confused:

What can a bot accomplish than me creating a request cannot?

Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Bots are illegal in every game site I have ever played but this one. The inhuman advantages of bots are obvious and sick. There is considerable discourse in these forums about them. They are probably more responsible for the downturn in player activity than nearly any other dynamic in the game. Scott has shown no interest in curtailing them that I have ever seen. It has created more ill will in this world than anything other than the old market scams. And I am really splitting hairs there.

Hajji: Plenty! And at a speed you cannot begin to keep up with.
Huginn penis
RJ: Kou Ichinomiya
CO: Huginn RollbackRequester

+ / -

Total Posts: 31
A request doesn't fill itself right? Someone has to go the the request page and sell it to you. The bot just buys when the product is available on the b2b making it way faster, more reliable and sometimes just silly.(buying 1 product to fill the warehouse)

I feel like were back at the bot discussion thread. I just want to know what you guys feel morally about this, and if we should act one way or another against it or leave it be.

For me: I feel bots are indeed a way of cheating, which is dislikeable in itself. It makes me feel like I witness someone stealing cigarets in the supermarket: you want to report it to someone who can handle it in silence but you can't. Therefore you continue to wait in line as normal and ignore this ever happened.
Hajji Pajji
RJ: Trade Merchant
CO: VonDutch

+ / -

Total Posts: 194
Well, I'm not qualified to speak for Scott, but I believe he does agree with all of us, but being a one-man show and most likely also having to have a paying job to fund his "hobby" he would rather use his valuable free time to improve the current product elsewhere, and then once it gets to an "acceptable playing level", then start cracking down on cheaters (which we all agree a bot is)

Again, just my opinion
Mike Barnett
RJ: D.Knell
CO: Angelo Mysterioso

+ / -

Total Posts: 46
Bots have killed many a decent game. I just don't get it. I think if detected, the user should be warned once, and deleted on the second offense.
dan bra
RJ: King
CO:

+ / -

Total Posts: 55
I would guess a bot would be able buy stuff at any time/just when new goods posted on market, while request can buy only at the end of each tick. huge advantage
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
this game is designed for bots ( massive automation helps a lot ), if you don't like it you should find another game..
dan bra
RJ: King
CO:

+ / -

Total Posts: 55
let me get this straight, bots are not illegal??!
Mike Barnett

+ / -

bob, with all due respect, you're the kind of 'player' that ruins games. massive automation helps in everything. it doesn't belong everywhere. i'm not arrogant enough to speak for the game designer, but i doubt if that's what he had in mind. but hey, if shortcuts and borderline cheating work for you, it's ok. everyone should know their limitations.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Bob has always been a dipswitch around the bot discussion, and his basic statement isn't even true. Idiots who need bots use them, Scott has (Hajji) always just sort of gone with the flow on it, not seeing how it keeps killing his player base.
Bob Malone

+ / -

I asked Scott several times to forbid bots, in PM and in this forum , wasted time since he doesnt give a shit about this issue. For the notice, I never used any bot in this game ( in any other game too ).
And yes this game is designed for bots, each time BallC asked a feature to help automation, Scott implemented it. This is especially true for the store.

Mike / Brent : stop saying bs... ty
Mike Barnett

+ / -

I'll stick by what I said. You can call it BS all you want. Bots ruin games. Defenders of bots ruin games. Can I be more clear?

Judging the intentions of the person that created the game by random actions, especially given the fact that he goes AWOL from time to time, I'm not sure how much thought he's given it. I'd guess that he never had a thought that started with "I think I'll design this game for bots".
Bob Malone

+ / -

I am not defender of bots, that's even the contrary, so why do you focus on me ?
And maybe he doesnt think "I think I'll design this game for bots", but when BallC asked him a new feature, he's smart enough to guess the purpose of it.

Like I said above, he doesnt give a shit about bots, there has been tons of complains and it has always been allowed, even if it ruined the game.
Mike Barnett

+ / -

'this game is designed for bots ( massive automation helps a lot ), if you don't like it you should find another game.. '

when someone tells me to shut up or leave, i tend to focus on them. just a bad habit, i guess. sorry.
Bob Malone

+ / -

"if you don't like it you should find another game" is facts based. Bots have always been allowed in this game, so if you don't like playing against/with bots, you know what to do...

Please note that I would be glad to see new rule about it, but this doesnt change since months/year so I would not expect much change in that direction.
Previous [1] 2 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.