Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Suggestions, Technical Support and Feedback » Count dividends as expense

Count dividends as expense

LP Paradoxian
RJ: LP Paradoxian

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 18
I know, this isn't the case in the real world but EOS accounting has nothing to do with the real world. All the money inflows (including the issuance of stock!) are counted as revenue and all the outflows, except dividend, are counted as expense. Because of this I'm of the opinion that dividends should be expenses too.
Cian Kemp
RJ: Cian Kemp
CO: Cian Kemp

+ / -

Total Posts: 183
Well, I guess it would encourage public companies to give good dividends as a way to dodge taxes. Investors would probably like it since they would get more dividends. On the down side, the "expense" would keep the company's stock price down.
LP Paradoxian

+ / -

I honestly don't know how the stock market algorithm works but if profit is important issuing a huge chunk of new stock should increase the stock price, right? But afaik it doesn't.
Cian Kemp
RJ: Cian Kemp
CO: Cian Kemp

+ / -

Total Posts: 183
It actually does. That's a big problem with the market right now, and how so many people are raising billions of dollars by issuing shares. Buying up the stock makes the price go way up, then issuing more shares gives a ton of "profit" and the next day the price will climb steadily for a while. It will even keep climbing while you sell off the shares. I did that with KFC when I was tired of running it and wanted to sell it off. It climb to a high of $810 a share before I sold it off. That's also one of the reasons PROPHET is at 4700 a share right now. It's nuts.

It also has a tendency to drop sometimes for no apparent reason. KFC dropped to a penny a share later and the current owner picked it up super cheap (it still had lots of cash laying around from the issue too).
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
@ LPP You mean it SHOULD DECREASE the stock price?

Cian got it right, that's the problem.
LP Paradoxian

+ / -

I guess the algorithm is a bit messed up :).

The suggestion still stands, count dividends as expenses because all other inflows/outflows are counted as revenues/expenses.
Andrew Turner
RJ: Thomas Lazygun

+ / -

Total Posts: 44
Dividends shouldn't count as expenses for taxation purposes. Unless players as well as companies can get taxed.
LP Paradoxian

+ / -

I agree under normal conditions. But the issuance of shares shouldn't be counted as revenue either. And the construction of buildings shouldn't all be put on the expenses side either because you can get almost all your money back by selling the building.

But that's not the case in this game. All in and outflows are revenues and expenses. The only exception are dividends. That's why dividends need to be expenses for it all to make sense.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
And the construction of buildings shouldn't all be put on the expenses side either because you can get almost all your money back by selling the building.

Thanks, I forgot about the construction/research/purchase counting as equity on the revenue sheet.

You need to register or login to post a reply.