Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » How did you get your start?

How did you get your start?

Tiny Hogwaffle
RJ: Caligula
CO: Tiny Hogwaffle

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 128
If you still have your very first company, you might still have the store sales history from when you first started playing. It's kind of fun to look back on.

When I first joined the game, I had not much of an idea of what to do, like most newbies. There was a mega-corporation called Frontline, I think, that had millions of cars, trucks, SUVs, and vans for sale in the B2B. I saw them listed in the B2B and thought, "why not?" I'll buy some of them and start a lemon lot.

Of course, the auto industry is one of the most competitive industries in this game, and not the best for a new person to start in. My first auto dealership was about 50 m2, and cars and stuff were all over 70% demand met, or something like that. So at first, I was only selling one vehicle about every hour, for about $70k revenue every hour. These vehicles cost about $40k in the B2B, so I was making maybe $25k profit every hour. Then I started selling wheels and seats, and those made about $1k every 15 minutes.

I crawled along slowly like that for a few weeks. I think I eventually expanded the dealership to something like 300 m2. Then I saw gasoline for sale in the B2B, so I decided to build a gas station. Gasoline wasn't very profitable, but there was another mega corporation called PARC that was selling lots of different ice creams and beverages in the B2B, so I started selling those in the gas station, and they were profitable. I started making $200k to $300k a tick, and I thought that was big bucks.

Eventually, Frontline stopped selling cars in the B2B, so I sold the dealership and concentrated on selling stuff in gas stations. I notice there was not much demand met in several beverages, so I built a factory and started producing my own. Things were going along great until a mega corporation called Derpman Beverages finished expanding his millions of m2 in store space, and suddenly there was a load of competition in the beverages I was selling.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, starting small and struggling to make a profit; more fun than when your company is huge, I think.
ansi coder
RJ:
CO: Poola Rangadu

+ / -

Total Posts: 18
My start had a little more luck involved. When I started, I had no idea how to use B2B - I just figured that I'd follow what the tutorial did. I built a farm and started growing apples. I made a farmers market to sell them. I had no idea on how much quality mattered, so I kept selling apples in shop with quality 0 for a few days.

Then I saw that my company had high technology of manufacturing vanilla extract(41). So I started manufacturing it - I put the first batch on B2B and it got sold within an hour! I saw that Idaoud produce bought it and relisted for a higher price - I thought that I was selling too low, so a couple of days later when I had the next batch, I put it up for higher price. Idaoud still had my vanilla beans listed and I put my beans up just a little less than what he is selling for. I dont know what it is, but those beans never sold.

Then I fancied being a boat salesman - so I built one retail outlet and bought a few boats from B2B to sell. I think it was my biggest shop at 100m². I had no idea of how demand met worked at that point - all boats were 75%+ demand met. Needless to say that I was selling like 1 boat per 2 real life days. At this point I was frustrated with these multiple failures and started reading forums. I found a bunch of useful threads that gave me a strategy to deal with this.

Next venture was designer hand bags - I saw that demand met was at 0% from EOSPedia. so I started selling them - this worked amazingly well. Amassed almost half a billion networth mostly from designer hand bags and a few other smaller margin items in just a few days.

Since then, all the ventures I have undertaken have been very successful. I ended up selling my first company for profit and the money just kept multiplying :)
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Yeah, that seems to be the way it goes in this game: You struggle for a while when you first start out (assuming you don't exploit your way to riches right off the bat, lol), then you find your niche, and suddenly there is exponential growth every week.
ansi coder
RJ:
CO: Poola Rangadu

+ / -

Total Posts: 18
Heh, yep! now I buy billions worth of cola from you :D
M Burch
RJ: Farmerbob
CO: Farmerbob

+ / -

Total Posts: 151
I've stopped and restarted so many times. I tend to stay in a market till I get bored with it, then sell off my old company and make a new one.

Right now I have an 8-product farm on test, selling eight different crops/fruits at 100+ QL through a bunch of farmers markets and supermarkets.

On the main server I have 8 different smelted goods at around 90 QL that I'm selling from a bunch of industrial stores.

No B2B sales at all right now - other than overflow raw materials.

I did do something a while back though which was interesting. I might start doing more of it. I simply created a company, then sold it.

Currently I am building a glass bottle and aluminum can company on the main server, and will probably be selling it off in a few weeks after I stabilize it's production and get it's products up to QL 100. I figure someone out there will pay a pretty penny for a premade company that will produce billions of cand and bottles per week at QL 100+
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

I'm sure BT will buy it from you. :)
Takumi Iwasaki
RJ: Werner Herzog
CO: Werner Herzog

+ / -

Total Posts: 2
I got started selling fruit, like many people. I did that for a while, and then I took a break from the game. When I came back, I had about $200 million in my account. I think my company had been automatically liquidated due to inactivity. Anyway, I used the $200 million as start-up cash for a new company making clothing/apparel. I did that for a while, but I ended up getting bored with that sector. I liquidated the company and got about $40 billion of value out of it. I used that to set up my current business, which is making bottled drinks (currently Rum, Wine, and Apple Cider). I've managed to get the products up to high QL (all around 100QL) over a short period of time. Supply currently outstrips what I can sell at retail, so while I slowly expand my Cafes (two at a time), I'm putting excess product on B2B. I've also been selling high QL glass bottles for a while, because I produce way more of them than I can currently use. The company is now worth a bit more than $60 billion.
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

You really should give up trying to sell rum and cider. They're really just not very profitable now that I have those pretty much locked up. Maybe you should consider selling Rubber Ducks instead.

Just kidding, man. I like the competition; bring it on.
Takumi Iwasaki
RJ: Werner Herzog
CO: Werner Herzog

+ / -

Total Posts: 2
They're actually plenty profitable. For example, it costs me $0.82 to make a unit of Rum. I sell them $26.85/unit at retail currently. Not to mention the fact that my QL (about 99 right now) is routinely better than the world average. My ability to make bank on this stuff is only dependent on my retail capacity.
shark laser
RJ: Prince Mubune of Nigeria
CO: Semmi

+ / -

Total Posts: 32
Originally I started out as a rubber wholesaler. The market was far more active than it is now, therefore it was quite a profitable business.
After that, the stock market came and went, people made billions, people threw away billions, money was flowing everywhere and I suppose my main's sitting on a tidy fortune right now. There's no challenge to do anything with tidy fortunes except to make them larger, and bollocks to that. I've got a T and that's what I'm sticking to~
Andrew Carnegie
RJ: Andrew Carnegie
CO: Andrew Carnegie

+ / -

Total Posts: 94
what is a "T"? sorry for my ignorance. but I have enjoyed reading stories of how players on EOS got their start.

there's a common thread to many of them too, one which I hold parallels real life business:

player is small, brand new, often going up against huge established companies

player is really excited with new way to take advantage of opportunities others might have missed

player does pretty well, usually after making some really stupid mistakes, just as we all do in real life

player's company begins to rake in larger and large sums of game cash

player often starts 2nd or 3rd company, either as feeder company to 1st, or in totally new industry

player then gets bored playing EOS

as I live in Silicon Valley, and grew up here, and enjoy reading news on daily basis, I've read about lots of start-ups which sound so much like this model

look at Steve Jobs of Apple , for just one example

as kid barely out of his teens, he knew damn well IBM was an ancient dinosaur in the world of computers

and he did whatever he felt it necessary to do to make Apple succeed, including "stealing" concepts he saw while vising Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (Xerox PARC, which came up with idea of laser printer, mouse, screen icons, and a whole host of things Apple -- and Windows -- users take for granted today, but which in the early 1980s were unheard of)

Apple's Board foolishly fired Jobs from CEO spot in 1990s, replacing him with new Apple CEO who had been top dawg at Pepsi, I think. Apple did terrible during this guy's reign, and their stock plunged. I even made money shorting Apple stock in 1996.

Apple Board finally saw the error of their ways, and brought Steve Jobs back as CEO.

and look at all he did just since 2003, until his death a few years ago: launched the iPlayer (is that what it is called? it plays songs downloaded from iTunes store of $0.99 a copy), iPHone, iPad, and on and on

very few young guys keep up their enthusiasm for bringing in new ideas to the marketplace as they get older

Steve Jobs was one of those rare men / young guys // who was a true visionary

and I think one can see the reason for it in something as simple as playing a game such as EOS, which does a pretty good job of simulation the real world of global free market Capitalism (the same thing holds true for many people who start some sort of physical exercise regime.)

they get all excited at first, 'cause it is something new, so they're not bored yet

then, after some time, they get bored, and start to slack off

trick is to keep changing methods so it does not fall into boring routine

shark laser
RJ: Prince Mubune of Nigeria
CO: Semmi

+ / -

Total Posts: 32
K -> M -> B -> T -> Q.
Thousand -> million -> billion -> trillion -> quadrillion.
Nick Sirock
RJ: Sam Sirock
CO: Nick Sirock

+ / -

Total Posts: 51
For the RJ Test Server I started selling electricity during that time period in which the prices went to about $0.18 per, that got me a bit of capital (I was still very small at that time so this only made me perhaps a billion over the course of two weeks or so.)
From whatever I made there, I invested in my company through expanding factories as much as possible. From electricity, water and natural gas, I developed my own supply chain, all in my first company "Sirock Electronics". I made mines which fed smelters and crystal producers, which fed petrochemical electronic factories. For the first few months I sold through industrial and electronics stores.
Anyway, I always have a large desire to expand, and when my factories reached around 10k m^2, I started making new companies, each their own portion of the supply chain. Where I once had 3 or 4 of each type in the original company, I now had 10-20, It took several weeks to expand the new factories to the size of the old ones, but had I had enough materials stockpiled to last it out and keep bringing in income.
Once the factories had properly expanded, I had Sirock Electronics, Sirock Mining, Sirock Power, and Sirock Stores. Eventually Sirock Electronics split off its metals branch to form Sirock Smelters. From there I sold metals and desktop computers for quite a while.
By that time many people had left the test server, so I was having trouble selling all of the materials and products I was making, so I reached out for customers here on the forum. Prince Mubune approached me, and told me how to price my products better, and so I began selling more on the market than more stores.
With him I planned on creating a new branch, Sirock Air, which would start production 9 weeks after its creation (I wanted the factories to be size 10,000). Meanwhile I happened to contact Zombie about something he had posted on the b2b, and we started talking and after a few weeks of correspondence he gave me a kind of "internship" at one of his companies. During this time I got most of my factories to a size of 30,000 (Not counting Air), as well as standardized the quality of my materials I used in the production.
By this I mean I made sure any that for any product being made (again with exception of airplane parts) all the materials going into it were at or over 100 quality. This has been something I have stuck with for awhile, my current standard is 110+. Around this time I also created the automobile company, which again required about 9 weeks of expansion.
That leaves us pretty close to now, I don't think Zombie is playing anymore or is at least taking a break from the game, and I am currently trying to get most materials to a quality of 120, as well as expanding all of my factories to 60k in size (Some have only 1 week left to go, others have 4 weeks remaining).
Its definitely getting more and more deserted on the test server so it would be great if the remaining players attempted to form a bit more of a community rather than us all managing our empires as a single player game.
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

"Its definitely getting more and more deserted on the test server so it would be great if the remaining players attempted to form a bit more of a community rather than us all managing our empires as a single player game." - Nick Sirock

Yeah, I've been pretty bored with the test server lately; I've been selling various frozen goods and have had little competition or any interaction with others for a while. The "CO" server, however, has been more interesting because of all the competition I've been getting, and all the interaction on the B2B.

It's a fun game, but it seems like it could be designed better to encourage more player interaction.

On RJ, I have about $150-200 billion cash sitting around. If you want to start some kind of cooperative thing, I could go for that.
Bruce Heitz
RJ: Berkeley Food & Farm
CO: Berkeley

+ / -

Total Posts: 162
When I started, I used the tutorial about the apples like many did I suppose. But apples by themselves just didn't seem like a long term product I wanted to work with. Once I got the hang of things, I just restarted. I built a hardware store and bought some Q5/Q8 aquariums, which sold pretty well. But I knew raising the quality would make it even better, so I started making my own. I added 3 furniture lines to my productions and filled the other 4 slots with B2B goods. Things started moving much faster. Eventually I built a second, third and eventually a 4th company and saw my net worth climb into the billions. I kept going until I ran into a 3 day streak where the game froze my computer so bad, the only way to get out was to unplug it. On the 3rd day I got some corrupt OS files from this and got basically angry and left the game for a while.

I just came back a couple days ago and found my company fully liquidated, but I had 22B cash to restart with, so I restarted. I have a 2nd company working on something I never tried the first time and I hope this works out well. I expect to be profitable again in a few days. I had to invest 5B cash into new buildings, research and inventory, but sales are going ok. Once I get balanced again, the old glory days should return.

You need to register or login to post a reply.