Increasing sales

John Smith
RJ: Petri Dish
CO: Johann Smith

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 42
Hey,

maybe a silly question - how do you increase sales? Not B2B sales, but normal sales from stores. Are the knobs really just:
1) square meters of stores
2) advertisement
3) quality of products sold

I understand also the number of slots used in a store influences the sales for a particular product, but on an absolute scale using less than all slots is afaik still worse, so I'll ignore that.

As for quality, mine isn't usually stellar, but I'd assume "ok", i.e. not too far from world average.

The reason I'm asking is, I keep extending my stores (and do the occasional advertisement), yet my sales appear to be tiny compared to some other companies. Does this really mean they simply have 100k+ sqm stores (potentially not in a single store of course, but multiple stores)?
Bruce Heitz
RJ: Berkeley Food & Farm
CO: Berkeley

+ / -

Total Posts: 162
Yes to #1-#3. your prices in your stores will also have some effect on your selling volume.

Some people do have some pretty large stores, which does increase volume sales. When you have a small total store m2, you will appear to be "tiny". Not to worry, as your sales will grow along with your store sizes. Sometimes it just takes a while to get some momentum going.
Tiny Hogwaffle
RJ: Caligula
CO: Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Total Posts: 128
Also, the % demand met affects how much you'll sell -- a higher demand already met in a product means you'll sell less of it.

Right now, on the CO server, it would probably not be profitable trying to sell motherboards, as they're at 234.46% demand met. Candy, on the other hand, is at 0% demand met.

Also, some products seem inherently more profitable than others; cars are bigger bux at 0% demand met than candy. But cars are usually at a higher demand met than candy, so maybe candy would be more profitable to get into.

The OP wrote:
"The reason I'm asking is, I keep extending my stores (and do the occasional advertisement), yet my sales appear to be tiny compared to some other companies. Does this really mean they simply have 100k+ sqm stores (potentially not in a single store of course, but multiple stores)?"

Yep, it's because your competition has lots and lots of store space; way more than a new player could afford. If you don't want to wait long time to build up the cash to build big stores, you could possibly start a corporation and look for investors. However, even if you have the cash, stores take a long time to build up.
Andrew Carnegie
RJ: Andrew Carnegie
CO: Andrew Carnegie

+ / -

Total Posts: 94
I STRONGLY recommend against using the game's stock market -- as a way to build up a corporation with cash from other players. Yes, initially, you gain the advantage of that "extra" cash -- seems huge to a new player. BUT, what is little noted in these forums is the following: if you own and control all of your own corporations, w/out any stockholders, you can use the bank feature of the game to move $ from companies that have extra cash to your personal account, and then invest that "new money" into the new company.

Strive to maintain 100% private control of all your companies if you can.

look at the EOSpedia, find the columns highest average store price, and average demand met.

then, see if you can easily make or buy all the raw materials necessary to make that product. Then you can sell it in your own stores.

(for some reason, few players in this game actually deal w/each other on a regular basis, and they would in the real world.)

Store size, R&D level, factory size, raw materials (coal, produce, etc.) --- these all go into influencing how attractive your products will be in the market.

Look at Apple products vs other high tech products. Apple has a huge dedicated fan base that is willing to pay far higher prices for anything Apple.

This does not mean there is no market demand for non Apple products.

same in this game, at least in theory.
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

If you start a corporation, eventually you want to buy back the shares and turn it into a private company, because you can't take money out of a corporation, I guess. That could be a pain if your investors become inactive.

Andrew Carnegie started out with a corporation; I was one of his investors. He had trouble buying back shares because some of the shareholders became inactive, if I remember correctly.

However, it's probably the most realistic way of getting capital to expand with, in this game. Other ways are: Starting a small private company and building it from scratch, which might take a long time. Getting a job with an established player that pays shitloads; some people do that. Or... cheating.
John Smith

+ / -

Thanks all yeah that is more or less as expected.

I don't think I want to become a corporation and give out shares, for the reasons mentioned - I like keeping control and easy transfer of money, etc. The gotcha around players going inactive is another good reason, too much risk.

I guess I'll just keep growing my stores as I've been doing all along (maybe a bit more aggressively), and in parallel try to increase my b2b activity further as a separate income. Though yeah, it doesn't seem like many players use the b2b market a lot, at least not many players buy my offerings ..
John Smith

+ / -

Oh, and I don't think I want to become an employee and leech money off of somebody else's success :-) That doesn't seem fun.
Andrew Carnegie
RJ: Andrew Carnegie
CO: Andrew Carnegie

+ / -

Total Posts: 94
actually, working for some of the other players is really more like a real world job--- they really want you to spend lots of time on the details of the job they hire you for

if you don't mind spending possibly up to several hours a week, and if the job pays well enough (not less than $200 mil a day), then it is worth considering

you won't be leeching -- you'll actually earn that fake game cash, thru your investment of time

other than that, as the old cliche goes, patience is a virtue

in this game, and in other bus sim games i play, as in real life, what most often messes up a great plan is impatience, so a player takes on far too much debt, then cannot grow the company fast enough to continue expanding, pay for salaries, supplies, production, ads, and service the debt

so while debt can serve you well, once you've got a strong retail company going, just try to be patient, and best of luck in growing your fantasy company
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Maybe this sounds kind of strange, but I actually enjoyed the game more when I started out very small facing stiff competition from big companies and learning as I went along. Obviously, the game is still fun for me, 'cause I keep coming here; but it was even more fun back then. I'm seriously considering restarting over, just for the hell of it.

By the way, you might want to take a look at the "How did you get your start" thread, under EoS General Discussion.

You need to register or login to post a reply.