Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Suggestions, Technical Support and Feedback » Logins cancel when you log in somewhere else

Logins cancel when you log in somewhere else

David MacIver
RJ: DRMacIver
CO: David R. MacIver

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 47
i.e. if I log in on computer A then at some point later log in on computer B when I come back to computer A I will have been logged out.

Is there a good reason for this? It's a little annoying and doesn't seem all that pointful.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Short Answer: Because I'm paranoid about security had to make sure it's you.

Once you are in you're given a new token to be used to validate your player on every page visit, so when you sign in from elsewhere the old token is invalidated and thus you're forced out.

In public spaces you can even log in at https://www.ratjoy.com (it'll redirect you to http:// after you login)

If it's of any concern, I'm rewriting the employment system right now so you'll be able to configure the privileges given to your employee(s). That opens up possibilities for you to create multiple accounts and hire yourself as a workaround to this problem, and I can care less if you're "company-sharing" by hiring your friend with full access, as long as (s)he's not complaining about low wages.
David MacIver
RJ: DRMacIver
CO: David R. MacIver

+ / -

Total Posts: 47
I'm not sure forcing only a single sign-on is actually that useful for security. The only scenario I can see it actually helping on is if you've left the game logged in on a public terminal, for which a better solution is "Don't do that". Anything else they've already got your password.

One thing things like gmail (which I care a lot more about the security of than I do EoS) does is when you have sign-ons from multiple locations it displays a little note somewhere saying "You are also signed on in X other locations with the following IPs" and lets you cancel other signins. reddit has a similar feature.

The employment system would help this for one of my use cases, but my main one is just that I use multiple computers and don't especially want to have to keep signing in on each.
Alexia Perdhaer
RJ: Alexia Perdhaer

+ / -

Total Posts: 100
it's especially harsh if you've left a window up that is refreshing on another computer :(
Nwabudike Morgan
RJ: CEO Nwabudike Morgan
CO: CEO Nwabudike Morgan

+ / -

Total Posts: 108
Even more annoying is the constant need to sign in when switching between the game and these forums. Every once in a while, I luck out and make a graceful page transition, but I usually get kicked to the homepage with a login box.

You need to register or login to post a reply.