Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » Mister Death's quick guide to maximum profits

Mister Death's quick guide to maximum profits

Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 266
Okay, I'm going to let out a little secret here: I'm a professional math nerd. I make my living helping university students learn math. So, here's the big secret for making the most profit in EoS:

In stores, sell at exactly twice your cost.

Seriously, that's the whole trick. It's simple, although the reason why it's simple is a little complicated. (It involves solving a differential equation, and if you've never heard of one, you probably don't want to.)

Actually, the trick is a little deeper than that, because your cost isn't always your cost. For instance, if you're making a product that you can export or retail, your cost is actually the export price. Think of it this way: you're effectively buying it back from the exporter in order to sell it in your store. The difference between your cost and what the exporter will buy it for is called arbitrage, which is just a fancy economics term that means "free money".

Even if you can't sell your product to an exporter (e.g., minerals, milk), you may be able to sell it to other players. Or, other players could be willing to pay more than the export market. Either way, this price again works as your "cost" when it comes to the retail sale. So let's refine the quick guide a little bit:

In stores, sell products for twice the amount that anybody else would pay you for it (or twice your cost, whichever is greater).

Any questions?
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 9
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
The above message is endorsed by The People's Beloved Dictator.
Karim Shibl
RJ: karim shibl
CO: hamdy

+ / -

Total Posts: 62
mmmm
and how would i know this price if i'm buying it from b2b?
Walter Yorkshire
RJ: Walter Yorkshire
CO: Walter Yorkshire

Post Rating: 10
+ / -

Total Posts: 132
According to the guide, if you bought it for $50 on the B2B market then you would sell it for $100 in your store.

Mister Death

+ / -

Correct, Mr. Yorkshire.

The question I was expecting to hear but didn't was, Gee, Mr. Death, I'll have goods left over if I sell them at that price. What do I do with those?

What a great question! (If I do say so myself.) Well, what you do with your excess goods is, sell them to the exporter! Or the other player! Or your supply quest! (Which means you should never have to sell your "own" fruit for less than $3 in a store.) You'll make more money this way than you will by lowering your store price.

If there's no exporters, and no other players want it, and you have more than you can use in your factories ... well, stop making the stuff!
Garry Hurst
RJ: jackosbournelookalike
CO: jackosbournelookalike

+ / -

Total Posts: 151
Well congratulations, we no longer, have a system that mimics the economic design that retailers use in real life, in every retail store I have ever worked in, the general rule is 3xcost=retail price, 2xcost=major sale, anything less is clearance, or target is mass sales high volume low profit. if my supplier can produce 1,mil apples/day at .50 cents I should be able to sell 1/mil day at 1.50 minimum in a decent sized store, this model in my opinion is not really even close to a "scale economy" so take it or leave it hate me or love me, either way.....
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

I probably gave out the wrong data.
I actually changed it to 2.5x base price after I saw it running for a tick immediately after implement the thing, and base price already has a 30%+ mark-up from cost (due to time cost).
Mister Death

+ / -

That's interesting, because every store I've ever worked in would have wet dreams over a 100% markup, much less 200%. My Dad ran a bookstore, standard rate before the big box store came to town was 66% markup, more like 20-25% afterward (he retired round about that time). Real life supermarkets are working on an average 15% markup or less. They make their money on volume. I have no idea what business you were in Garry, but I'd like me a piece of that!
Roald Adriaansen
RJ: Wuvil
CO: Wuvil

+ / -

Total Posts: 146
Yeah... Most buisnesses make more profit from volume
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

I think everyone's just too happy at the moment with 0% tax and $0 maintenance cost.

My goal is to make the game challenging, so you can certainly expect the NEED for a 100% markup sooner or later, while still operating at a <15% margin.

You need to register or login to post a reply.