Ratjoy.com » Forums » Off-Topic Discussion » New Computer

New Computer

Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
I just bought a touch-screen laptop to test out the game, and so far I haven't seen any problems :-)

(A computer, not a tablet)

Don't want to start a war here, but I like Windows so much more than iOS or Android.
Garry Hurst
RJ: jackosbournelookalike
CO: jackosbournelookalike

+ / -

Total Posts: 151
hear hear, love it too....

but i want a ios emulator similar to dosbox.
Jurry Hart
RJ: jurry
CO: Jurre

+ / -

Total Posts: 78
Not to kindle the war , I own an ipad so if you want I can do some testing from it, in case you're intrested.

Downside of an ipad you can't develop on your own device unless by paying 99$ to apple to sign your code.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

No, the downside is... you can't develop on iPad, period.

Apple forces you to buy a Mac in addition to the $99 Dev sign-up; or you can go the Hackintosh route which may be more trouble than it's worth.

I'm never an Apple fan, but I pre-ordered an iPad before the thing was made - because I've searched for a super-light-weight multi-color multi-touch slate computer for years and Apple was the first to get it out.

Only problem is after playing around with it for a day I realized it's not actually a computer. I just use it for map, music, and reading now, purely consumption. Content generation is hard on the device, even typing an e-mail is a pain, not to mention coding. Granted it's much better than on any smartphone, but still no where close to a real PC for people who type normally*.

*As in typing with the correct cases and punctuation marks.
Roald Adriaansen
RJ: Wuvil
CO: Wuvil

+ / -

Total Posts: 146
Apple is just overpriced for what it is anyway

custom builds ftw
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

+ / -

Total Posts: 266
Don't get an iPad. Get an Eee Pad. That's what I've been using to play EoS since day 1. It's a bit on the slow side, but it does most of the things I want to do, and the keyboard dock just makes it so much more functional.

That said, my next computer will be a proper tablet laptop. I'll never go back to a computer without a touch screen, but I miss my online poker (-:
Christopher Fowler
RJ: Brasswick

+ / -

Total Posts: 8
I've never had a new computer. I'm typing this post right now on an old Compaq Presario 5320US that was built in or around 2001. I got it refurbished for $150, and it does everything I want for gaming, music, and videos with the parts I managed to scavenge and put in. Also I've never used a tablet computer outside of Angry Birds and one astronomy app, so I really don't have any use for one.

Also, I used to use Apple computers all the time when I was in school. My favorite was the Apple II. So many fun little games on that. Too bad the one my class had caught fire in the middle of English one day.
Matthew Suozzo
RJ: Buckaroo Bonzai

+ / -

Total Posts: 40
Asus Transformer Prime comes really close, for what it's worth. Price isn't great but Tegra 3 and keyboard dock make it a worthy entrant. I bought it to see what it could do and was impressed by it's responsiveness, display, and weight. I found the keyboard almost unusable but the dock ups the battery life to 10-12 hrs (awesome). The day I returned it, Asus unlocked the bootloader and an Ubuntu port was released. Would've liked to have tried it out but the keyboard was a real deal-breaker.

Re: Scott's comment. Completely agree about content consumption over creation on tablets. My compromise was the Samsung Chromebook. Before you jump all over it, it has solid battery life (8+ hrs), gorgeous screen, and, big for me if you hadn't already guessed, a stellar keyboard. All I really use is ssh without Xterm (Chrome OS has a great ssh terminal) and Google Docs for word processing so the Chromebook works perfectly. Also: super light and reasonable price.
Karl Katzke
RJ: SpecialK

+ / -

Total Posts: 3
Consumption vs. Creation? I think there's an IDE for developing on the iPad now -- Codea, I think it's called.

Several authors have started to write books on the iPad or at least edit them.

Personally, I've worked for a week via my iPad when my main laptop was broken. I work in IT.

But yes, I mainly read books and play games on my own iPad.
Luke Trager
RJ: Richard Kner
CO: Richard Knerr

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
Thank you for the iPad compatibility.
Christopher Fowler
RJ: W. T. Snacks
CO: Sirkh

+ / -

Total Posts: 71
I might be getting a new computer in a month or two thanks to the generosity of a friend who is recently finding himself employed for the first time. He is also thinking of getting one for himself, and on the $360 USD or so he would have to spend, I recommended that he get two of these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-Refurbished-Black-Optiplex-360-Desktop-PC-with -Intel-Core-2-Duo-Processor-2GB-Memory-160GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premi um-Monitor-Not-I/22985037

Would this be a good deal or is there one that is even better for a budget of around $360 USD?

- EDIT - Before anyone makes any suggestions, I'm a retro gamer and my friend just wants to be able to play World of Warcraft on decent settings.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

$360 USD is usually good, but I don't think a 2GB RAM - REFURBISHED - Desktop is anywhere close to a good deal.

For "pre-owned", you might as well get this one at $219.99 free shipping
Samsung NP365E5C-S05US Laptop A6 X2 2.7GHz 4GB 500GB
http://www.cowboom.com/product/1314445

Or more choices:
http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm/0_12_0

My recent favorite (but I got one below $500 after tax with Win 7 and a free nook last year):
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP%20ENVY
Christopher Fowler

+ / -

Those look good but as it turns out my friend's plans for employment fell through and now he's getting maybe $100 a month from his job due to the fact that he's only working part-time, so he won't be able to get me a new computer. Thanks for showing those to me though Scott. I might be able to get one of those sometime after I move out of this complex, which should be within the next couple months. It might require though that I save up a bit still, but luckily I've got a payee to help manage my finances.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

If you're not planning on getting it any time soon, then wait till Black Friday / Cyber Monday, the prices really do drop significantly then.

But if you do need something with good value now, I'd say bookmark that techbargains site, and check back every 3 days. I've never used another site to find deals on ready-made PCs since 5+ years ago.
Christopher Fowler

+ / -

If you're not planning on getting it any time soon, then wait till Black Friday / Cyber Monday, the prices really do drop significantly then.

That sounds like a good idea. I should have my own place by then and as a result I should be able to take advantage of those deals. I am unable to take advantage of most any deal right now because I'm on a fixed income and for now most of it goes toward my rent at this group home. But I guess now I have a reason to look forward to Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

But if you do need something with good value now, I'd say bookmark that techbargains site, and check back every 3 days. I've never used another site to find deals on ready-made PCs since 5+ years ago.

I actually did bookmark techbargains right when you showed me that first link that featured it. It looked incredibly useful and even more so for the coming months, so once more I appreciate the link and such.

Until I am able to take advantage of one of those bargains though all I really need to get some more life out of my old Compaq Presario 5320US is a can of compressed air and some 512MB PC133 SDRAM to max out it's memory slots. I think my machine can go up to about 1.5GB of RAM, but I'll have to check again.
Jayson Drake Tan
RJ: Ben
CO: Ben

+ / -

Total Posts: 74
me too, i love windows, but when i used the windows phone i sometimes have problems in dealing with the links, sometimes it does not load.. hahaha i just refresh it and it is fixed

You need to register or login to post a reply.