Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS Newbie Station » Opportunities for new players (Capitalism)

Opportunities for new players (Capitalism)

Cian Kemp
RJ: Cian Kemp
CO: Cian Kemp

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 183
Just putting this out here for new folks who may be wondering what industry to get into. With the BallC implosion, there is a big opportunity for profit in the industries he once dominated. Sporting goods, apparel, jewelry, and hot foods are all very low demand met now.

Sporting goods doesn't have a huge player at all in it as far as I know, so you'd mostly be competing against other smallish companies.

I'm in apparel (shoes, accessories, designer apparel, and clothing), so once I finish expanding all my factories to make up for the spike in demand (without BallC my stores started selling out of everything really fast, haha) I'll be a big competition there - but it's a pretty big market there is room for more players in it for sure. By apparel I mean all the items sold in apparel stores - hats, shoes, accessories, designer apparel, clothes.

Jewelry lost both Ted Crisp and BallC's companies so will likely have a pretty big hole in it for a bit. It's being filled by some smaller companies, but there is likely plenty of time to get into the business and fill some holes.

And finally Hot Foods. This industry is less profitable than the others due to the lower value of its products, and it's a difficult supply chain to manage (no imports here) but it could be fun to get into as well.

My suggestion is to focus on the industry you're in and use the b2b for any supplies you can wrangle up at decent prices. It's easier to manage if you can focus on your end products, and promotes a healthy b2b market which is good for everyone. Plus it's cheaper if you can get by on just one or two research buildings. There is a pretty healthy market for minerals and raw materials right now, but some of the intermediaries (thread for clothing, some of the industrial products, many of the ingredients that hot foods need like buns) are in rather short supply. For those you would need to either make a post on the forum stating your need for it and find yourself a supplier, or produce it in house (which requires more R&D and factory buildings, and can get expensive with the land costs).

And as always, make use of the product statistics information to find opportunities of your own and decide which products in your industry would be the best to start producing.
Eddie Beahre
RJ: Eddie Beahre
CO: Max

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 12
Hey my brother is already in the sport industry but like you said really needs a B2b Marktet for glass,rubber,vinyl,nylon,polyester and threads.

Edit: Edqmaster Sport I think is his company
Cian Kemp

+ / -

Yep, it was probably a good time for him to jump into the market. I would categorize him as one of the smallish companies though (23 mil net worth - decent sized, but not nearly big enough to take over the market by himself). Still plenty of room for others.

Take electronics - right now there are 13 companies including myself in the markets of electronics and electronic components. That isn't even counting all the ones in appliances (which overlap a bit since they also sell in hardware stores). Many of these companies are quite large - Testing House and YES are in the 60m range, Please Ignore is in the 80s, and XXV Maius is over 220 mil.
Dan Laurence
RJ: Sourpuss
CO: Sourpuss

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Total Posts: 49
Jewelry also lost Ted Crisp's 500m+ dollar company.
Cian Kemp

+ / -

Quote from the post: "Jewelry lost both Ted Crisp and BallC's companies..."

My response to you: Really? I didn't notice that. /sarcasm

:P
Dan Laurence
RJ: Sourpuss
CO: Sourpuss

+ / -

Total Posts: 49
Bit low on the reading comprehension, I guess.
Cian Kemp

+ / -

Hehe, happens to everyone at times.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Hey...I am in jewelry!
Oh, wait...you said some small companies. Guess I will have to change that. ;-)
Greg smith
RJ: greg smith
CO: greg smith

+ / -

Total Posts: 11
hi all
how do i know how many players r in a particular market?
Roald Adriaansen
RJ: Wuvil
CO: Wuvil

+ / -

Total Posts: 146
Go to statistics and check demand. You can generally work it out from there.
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

+ / -

Total Posts: 214
When my stores finish expanding pies and stuff are going to be pretty locked down (with me and some smaller competitors). But there seems to be a lot of room for other baked goods like bread and cookies. (chocolate chip cookies have been zero demand met for days)
Brent Goode

+ / -

I would just caution new players to really look at the average selling prices for goods before buying from the B2B. If you aren't getting at least 25% margin, adjusted for Q, then it is probably not in your best interest to buy those goods. You will just lose money in the end and the guy that sold it will laugh all the way to the bank. If you see that company is in the retail side of a market, you should probably avoid buying from him/her. Remember, you also have to pay all the overhead for your stores out of that thin margin. If you have doubts, IGM the supplier and try to come to a reasonable deal. Some of them will actually respond and work with you. Sometimes they will make you a good that they don't have room to sell in their own stores.

One of the oldest rules in the book...you can't compete against your supplier!
Jax Teller
RJ: TheDoctor
CO: JaxTeller

+ / -

Total Posts: 40
What happened to BallC ?
Brent Goode

+ / -

Like any unbridled capitalist, he ate himself for profit and imploded.

Seriously, I don't know. I am very much hoping that he and Scott came to some agreement to drop out of the game and put his programing expertise to work making the game better. I am noticing lots of little tiny "play tweaks" going on in beta. I am hoping he is behind some of that. There were ideas tossed about in other threads about him running the stock market, and maybe some of the import/export facets of the game. I would be happy to see that as well. Ball could keep them in line and effective, and Scott could stay focused on general game development. Face it, we need envelopes in the office supply stores!

You need to register or login to post a reply.