Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » Petition: Ban (Newbie) Fruit Imports

Petition: Ban (Newbie) Fruit Imports

Jayle Trigger
RJ: Berry Punch
CO: Applejack

Post Rating: 36
+ / -

Total Posts: 93
Unilateral Representative of New Companies (URNC) demands the government ban imports(or raise duties) of apples, limes, lemons, strawberries and blueberries.

Them foreigners are taking our jerrrbs!
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 266
I've been asking for a blanket import/export ban ever since I learned the darn thing existed. I think it subtracts from the game much more than it adds. But then, Scott never listens to me ;-)
Roald Adriaansen
RJ: Wuvil
CO: Wuvil

+ / -

Total Posts: 146
As someone who was here before import/export, I support it staying here. As with all things stuff needs tweaking, Quality reductions etc was one step, the new fruit price jump (effective tomorrow) is another step.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Without it, there would be no way for a beginner to fairly compete. I also like the idea of dropping the quality levels. I would think that, along with the auto-buying at the whole sale minimums (with no adjustments for q-lvl) would give newbies a reasonable starting place until they can research products enough to compete on the B2B or in retail. Though it would help a lot if they could choose to manufacture at lvl 0 for that.

I must say, I get tired of older players crying over not being ablr to force everyone into their pre-established pipelines. If you have so maxed yourselves out, then perhaps it is time to find another game with more breadth and depth. This one is still just in beta.
Walter Yorkshire
RJ: Walter Yorkshire
CO: Walter Yorkshire

+ / -

Total Posts: 132
The quality for all import goods have already been dropped, however looking at fruit it is still at a reasonable high Q30. Having said that I did a quick comparison of apples. You can currently buy Q15+ apples for $0.75-$1.50 each while importing apples currently costs £3.71 each. This import price is before tomorrows tariff increase on fruits so I am not to sure if it really is that big of an issue. I have generally bought fruit (not that I buy much, being mainly in industrial) from players over importing.

Also, I am definitively not maxed out :P My prospectors company may be well developed, but overall there is still loads to improve and opportunities to pursue.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
I also try to buy from players over the NPC, just on principle. I do find an extraordinarily large pool of players that think their wares are worth quite a bit more, B2B, than they could ever sell for. :-(

Of course, the other logic that pervades this milieu would be: Don't ever buy from players if you can help it, as that enables them to survive, and even thrive. And we can't have that! ;-)

This forum needs some emoticons!
Control Volume
RJ: ControlVolume
CO: Control Volume

+ / -

Total Posts: 43
Buying from players who supply materials or goods you don't make yourself is beneficial to both, and it's much better to be competing with the few people who rose with you rather than sitting at the same level as everyone else and competing with them that way. I don't care if the guy who sells me wine is doing better in the wine business, since my wine sales are doing better than everyone else besides him.

Also starter fruit imports are a non-issue at the moment. The biggest competitors in starter fruits are other newbies, and you're dumb if you still import apples when there's pages of dirt-cheap q15-q20 apples available.
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

+ / -

Total Posts: 266
I must say, I get tired of older players crying over not being ablr to force everyone into their pre-established pipelines. If you have so maxed yourselves out, then perhaps it is time to find another game with more breadth and depth. This one is still just in beta.

If that comment was directed at me (and I don't see who else it could be directed at), it was anything but "an older player crying". I was against import/export even when I was a new player. I don't think it adds anything to the game. I think it hurts new players more than it helps them; I thought so as a new player and I think so today. I think that by providing an infinite and reliable source and sink, it subtracts breadth and depth. Furthermore, I know that by only providing infinite sources and sinks for arbitarily restricted sets of products it skews the game balance. I've specifically adjusted my factory balances to account for the impacts that the set restrictions impose on the supply/demand balance.

This is a change I've been lobbying for for months. I'm not losing any sleep over it; I just think the game would be more interesting and fun without the infinite sources and sinks.

You need to register or login to post a reply.