Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » Temporal market pressures currently absent.

Temporal market pressures currently absent.

Chris Barber
RJ: Cholmondeley Smyph

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 7
Perishable goods should perish.

Discuss.
Billy Vierra
RJ: Saffrian
CO: Billy Vierra

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 84
I agree, I also believe this was already mentioned as a to-do item by Scott :)
Chris Barber
RJ: Cholmondeley Smyph

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 7
Well, then. Not much to discuss, huh?
Tony Wooster
RJ: Johnny Appleseed

+ / -

Total Posts: 41
He's stated a long-term goal, though, meaning "probably never." How should perishing occur? Stock depletion? Quality reduction? Both? Does it end up placing an inordinate amount of micromanagement strain, especially on new players?

Also, I note that -- for apples, at least -- we flash-freeze them IRL; the apples we buy at the supermarket (year-round) are often a year old. Thoughts?
Billy Vierra
RJ: Saffrian
CO: Billy Vierra

+ / -

Total Posts: 84
I think we need to do something about it for sure. The issue is that it also means a whole lot more data needs to be kept. I do not know how much he is currently keeping, but I assume that its just the total amount per QL per product. To do that he would have to do it per batch run.

As for how, it would have to be depletion. Once milk gets old, you do not think well this just is not as HQ as I would like.

However I think it would be an extremely good feature that opens up a whole lot more to the game. An entire tech tree (so to speak) as far as good preservation. Maybe having optional ingredients that add additional preservation depending on their QL. So on and so forth.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
From a data perspective it's simple, just add another column to the warehouse table with a name such as: creation_time

and then perhaps a column in the product list called "quality_decay_time"

and add another equation to the updater script.

(and of course a creation_time field in the b2b tables and any other relevant tables)

As for the tech tree to reduce decay time... that'll be something entirely different.
Roald Adriaansen
RJ: Wuvil
CO: Wuvil

+ / -

Total Posts: 146
With decaying stuff that would open up a lot of need for frozen/canned products etc.

Or... give my refrigerator business a massive boost... :P
David Stark
RJ: Zarkonnen
CO: David Stark

+ / -

Total Posts: 53
How about fashionable goods, like clothes and accessories? They could go out of fashion, so today's Q20 designer sunglasses are next week's Q5 designer sunglasses.
Roald Adriaansen
RJ: Wuvil
CO: Wuvil

+ / -

Total Posts: 146
Fashion does come back into fashion though
Paul Giggs
RJ: Paul Giggs
CO: Paul Giggs

+ / -

Total Posts: 14
If perishable goods are going to err perish then durable goods need to have a chance of a recall/lawsuit when someone's Q1 jet loses a wing during flight.
David Stark
RJ: Zarkonnen
CO: David Stark

+ / -

Total Posts: 53
Roald Adriaansen: So next week's Q5 designer sunglasses could be Q50 glasses in 3 weeks' time? This could tie in quite well with inverse temporal market pressure, that is: aging wine and port.

Paul Giggs: I'm never quite sure how to visualise Q0 goods. Is a Q0 scarf basically a length of sandpaper? A Q0 wedding dress a shapeless silk bag? Do people buy these things because they are desperate to clothe their naked forms in anything at all?
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

+ / -

Total Posts: 266
To me, Q0 is the "industry minimum". A Q0 aircraft can be certified by the FAA but has rows of wooden benches for the passenger seats. A Q0 scarf is what you find at Wal-Mart, or maybe Goodwill. Q99 fruit comes from this place - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-radio-and-tv-17352173
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

+ / -

Total Posts: 167
How about fashionable goods, like clothes and accessories? They could go out of fashion, so today's Q20 designer sunglasses are next week's Q5 designer sunglasses.

Might make more sense to look at this as two separate things:

1. Perishability/Durability, a coefficient for different categories of items that effects the time before an item loses a tick of Q (a day or half a day for perishable items, a week for highly durable items).

2. Market fads. The people of Econosia might develop a sudden trending taste, or distaste, for certain items, as an essentially random social event. (Though a period of faddishness followed by a period of anti-faddishness might be a common pair of events in that case, at least until the hipster market can rebalance the demand side by acquiring the unpopular good ironically.)

So a pair of sunglasses may slowly lose some of its sparkle in the warehouse, but if The Summer Thing is sunglasses then sales are going to be relatively great in any case for a couple days.

You need to register or login to post a reply.