Voting System

Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 21
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Testing first - it works!

Oh, and I'm sure everyone knows, the real reason I'm posting this message is to brag about how I've re-invented the wheel in a day.

Next thing I'll do is to implement something like a bash.org rating system, so players can do the forum modding instead of me (I'm dumb & lazy, remember?)
Scott (Admin)

Post Rating: 4
+ / -

Oh, and here's the plan:

For now all users start with 10 karma, and each vote has the power of 1/10 of the user's karma, rounded down. (that's 1 right now)

Any time you click on a +/-, it adds/subtracts "power" from the thread's rating AND the poster's karma.

All threads start at 0 rating, Any thread rated -10 or below will be shown as "Under rating threshold (Click to Show)", and any thread rated -20 or below gets instantly deleted.

Users with < 0 karma will not be able to start a new topic. Users with < -10 karma will not be able to post at all.

To prevent abuse in the future, votes will only affect users below 250% of your karma (so trolls can't simply register 10 accounts and "spam -" on someone with 1000 posts and 25+ karma. Also as the number of players increase, new players will start with 5 karma, and eventually 0 karma. (So they will first need some up votes before they can rate others)

Let me know if you have anything to add, I'm off to zzz...
Scott (Admin)

Post Rating: 4
+ / -

Newest update:

To address karma growing out of bounds...
User with 50+ karma will use up their own karma (= 2% - 1) when voting positively (+) on others.
Voting negatively (-) to ban posts/users will not affect voter's karma.
CEO Kogut
RJ: Kogut

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 29
Is it intended that I can vote on my own posts?
Scott (Admin)

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Yes, except when you vote for yourself it won't change your Karma.
Matthew Suozzo
RJ: Buckaroo Bonzai

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 40
I have to say, while I understand the rationale behind limiting up-voting at the high end, I think the current system will severely limit the number of upvotes that occur. I would liken it to my habit of stockpiling potions in every RPG I play simply because I either "might use them sometime" or I "want to see how many I can collect." (By the way, I'm quoting myself there if it wasn't apparent) I think a similar pattern of hording will result in those who quickly reach the 50 karma from there being a karmic upvote penalty.

Maybe my simile is weak and maybe my conclusion isn't valid but time will tell how karma ends up being spent. That being said, not the biggest deal if anything goes wrong.

You need to register or login to post a reply.