Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Ratjoy.com General Discussion » What would you improve?

What would you improve?

Wouter Buckens
RJ: Awesome Enterprises
CO: Awesome Enterprises

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 7
Hey all

I came across this game about a week or so ago, and I've been playing a lot of it. I really enjoy it, but there are some aspects that I think don't work very well or that just don't exist in this game.

For the past couple of months or so I've actually been working on a game concept of my own, which is pretty similar to this game (also inspired by the old Capitalism games), and I was wondering - which aspects of EoS do you like the way they are, and which would you improve? And how would you improve them? Are there any features you feel are really important for a game like this that aren't in EoS?

Anything is welcome here. Suggestions for new features, things I should consider... I can't promise if all ideas will make it into the actual game but I wouldn't ask if I wasn't planning on listening :)
Bruce Heitz
RJ: Berkeley Food & Farm
CO: Berkeley

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 162
Hopefully you are using something like HTML 5 for your code rather than tying it to Adobe Flash. This game works pretty much like it was designed to do. Having a learning curve that is friendly to new players is a plus. The only thing missing in EoS is the ability to do player to player invoicing. But the B2B market works well as a substitute for that, even though it might seem a bit tedious at times.
Wouter Buckens

+ / -

Of course I'm working in HTML5 :-)

I'm working on a 'contracts' feature, where two players can agree to a certain number of goods at a certain price, with failure clauses and completion bonuses. I think this is kind of what you meant by player to player invoicing?
Goldy Goldyisle
RJ: Goldyisle
CO: Goldyisle

+ / -

Total Posts: 8
Other normal attractive features :
1) Buying/Selling of Product's research.
2) Buying/Selling of Buildings.
3) Contract between players as Wouter says; for a definable fixed moths.

Other Extraordinary features that require extra efforts to coding :
1) Adding other sector industries eg. too many : shampoo, detergents, juices, toothpastes, fertilizers, Constructions, Sat elites, Weapons, Armors, Drugs(Pharmaceuticals) etc.
2) Different City wise lands --> Multinational companies.
3) Various transportation system regarding city-nation transportations.
Wouter Buckens

+ / -

Those first three points will all be in my game, they're pretty basic features.

As for the other three:
1) This will be a community effort, I plan to add the basic production chains myself (I estimate about half of what's in EoS) and build a 'production chain designer' tool where everyone can submit production chain suggestions and all the good ones will get added into the game. I will have to check the submissions manually though, so I don't end up with cars made out of swiss cheese or something xd

2) Already working on that. My game will have different cities, each with a different size and population, and your company can have factories or stores across the world. There will be different employment costs, different tax rates, and different available resources, so you'd have to do some research where best to start your company.

3) This kind of ties in with the previous point, transport and logistics will definitely be an important factor to consider if you want your company to go global. I'm even thinking of letting players set up transport companies themselves (instead of just charging a 'transport fee' on all transportation). This is just an idea though, but I think it could add a whole new level of depth to the game if some services were also player-run instead of just 'the system'.
Goldy Goldyisle
RJ: Goldyisle
CO: Goldyisle

+ / -

Total Posts: 8
1) Transportation of goods by all 4 means : By
Road
Air
Sea
Rail

2) Influence :
We can create cummunity bldgs.
Hospitals, Library, School etc which enhances life of people in the City. Thus creates influence for players in return that bldgs. will need supply of certain products to fullfill its activity. eg. Hospital will need cotton, drugs etc. Library will need books, chairs etc.
Wouter Buckens

+ / -

1) Of course :)

2) I'm definitely going to add it to my list of features, hadn't thought about it much but the community buildings could be yet another area for the players to branch out to.
Tiny Hogwaffle
RJ: Caligula
CO: Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Total Posts: 128
Having player owned transport companies would be real cool, as would having an actual map that you can purchase land on. Would be cool if you had ore deposits like in PC Capitalism; also, you have to find the right climate to grow crops and can't just grow anything anywhere.

Also, how about player owned banks? How about player owned and run stock and commodity exchanges? Real short selling, real options trading...

Get rid of quests; they're unrealistic and create loads of wealth out of thin air. Also, it could be more challenging than this game; anyone can get filthy rich easily, in this game.
Wouter Buckens

+ / -

Some good points there.

I've thought about having one huge map, like in the Capitalism PC game, where everyone can just buy land, in fact that was my original idea, but it would be very difficult to develop but also in terms of sustainability, a huge, persistent world (and it would have to be really huge to make it somewhat realistic) requires way more server power than separate plots per company, so server costs would be too high for me to maintain. If I had the means and the time then I definitely would. But it's just not feasible for me to do it that way.

Ore deposits won't be 'on the map' as such but there will be differences between locations that decide how much ore you can get from a mine. In areas where there's no coal to be found for example, the efficiency of coal mines will be very low. So if a player wants to get into mining he'll have to prospect first and see which ores are available where.

Player owned banks is something I'm considering, but it's on the 'to revisit later' list together with player owned transport companies (and a bunch of other types of buildings from the service sector). I want to focus my development on the industry part of the game first.

Quests are extremely artificial, and I don't think they have a place in any business game that wants to simulate the real world. So I won't add quests.

As for the 'wealth out of thin air' thing, the way I see it is that there should be a fixed amount of money in the game, initially owned by the banks and governments, and then later it will transfer to the players through sales and contracts. For every new player there will be a small influx of cash into the central bank, but other than that I want the total amount of money going around in the game to remain about the same, and over time decrease slightly relative to the number of players (due to a limited influx of cash for each new player). There will be no 'magic money', things like welfare and government grants will be paid for by the taxes that companies pay, market fees go to the organisation that is maintaining the market (initially the central bank, later they can be player owned). I feel this will make the game a lot more difficult and also a lot more realistic.
Tiny Hogwaffle
RJ: Caligula
CO: Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Total Posts: 128
I don't see why having a map would take more server power. Though, admittedly, my programming experience is limited. I think it would be more complicated to code, though.

There is the problem of people dropping from the game, leaving land they've purchased sitting there doing nothing. Maybe the land could go up for auction if a player doesn't log in for a while. Also, if the game got popular, there might be a problem with all the land being bought up, leaving no room for new players. Maybe new territories could open up to meet demand. That does sound hard to do, though.

You could have something less complicated, with territories similar to a Risk board. The players would choose where to build their businesses, and would compete for market share in each territory.

Anyway, it sounds like whatever you do, it will be an interesting game.
Adam Oakley
CO: Adam Oakley

+ / -

Total Posts: 1
This game is exactly what I was looking for except for the stock market. Railroad Tycoon 2's stock market and bond system was excellent. Something like that would be great.

If you have a working stock market players could control financial services companies in addition to banks: fund managers, investment trusts, underwriters, etc.

Quests can help keep new players' interest. Instead of artifical rewards the system could trigger quests for production of certain resources when the market was undersupplied and for other products that use certain resources in their production when oversupplied.

The trouble with developing a game like this is knowing where to start. You could create an infinitely complex simulation of the real economy.
Wouter Buckens

+ / -

@Tiny
There are a couple of things that are a whole lot more difficult with a 'persistent map' type game. The most important considerations for me are:
- Server memory management: Loading an entire massive world and keeping it active would consume a lot of memory.
- The economy simulation would get a lot more complex, instead of saying "hm, this city has these and these stats, let's apply those to the buildings in it", I'd have to examine each tile and see how it fits into the world, yes this would make for an even more realistic simulation but it would also increase the amount of development work required tenfold (if not more) and would require a lot more CPU power to run.
- Once the world is full, it's full. Nothing new can be built. This could be prevented by having a very large map, but then the first point here comes into play again.

So while it is technically possible, it's just not achievable for me to develop the game like that. However, I will add multiple cities that will basically work like the "risk board" type thing you said, where every city will be a "region" that players can expand to, but each city will work pretty similar to this game, where you have an area that is just you. Although building will be a bit different, but more on that later :)

@Adam
For the stock market, I'm still not sure how exactly I will approach this. I myself don't have a lot of experience with stock trading and all that (I play these games for the industrial part, producing goods and selling them) so I'll have to do some research first.

As I said before, quests will not be implemented. If a market segment is undersupplied it will be up to the players to see this and jump in. Which they will.
ronak chheda
RJ: Texas Tycoon
CO: Texas Tycoon

+ / -

Total Posts: 31
Is this Zajohans from Simunomics?

If yes, welcome here.

If no, then too you're welcome to EoS world!
Ares Alecto
CO: Ares Alecto

+ / -

Total Posts: 1
very fine game indeed. I am a capitalism fan for 10+ years now and i am glad i find this one. I just wanna know is this game will be upgraded with new features in time?
Philip Trick
CO: Philip Trick

+ / -

Total Posts: 3
Stock trading would have far more value if there were a good reason to go public. In the real world, the incentive is to make more personal cash.

I think that if you ONLY score the user based upon their liquid personal wealth (cash on hand + current publicly traded share value) then you might be able to create some level of liquid market. The market in EOS has zero incentive to trade -- money is too easy to come by and your score is based upon the grand total of all of your private companies and stock value. I don't see any reason to go public unless you want to transfer a company to someone else.

Additionally, there needs to be a reason for different public stocks to compete with each other through dividends, etc. In the real world, diversification and natural competition provides this pressure, but that's hard to create in a game. You could possibly create that pressure by providing a diversification bonus to individuals with multiple holdings so that they have a reason to buy and sell other companies. So 1 stock grants you strictly market value, for 2 stocks, you get a 1% bonus to your stock value, for 3 stocks a 3% bonus, etc capping out somewhere around a 100% bonus to your stock value.

You might even do something like only adding 50% of the stock value to the score so that at maximum diversification (V * .5 * (1 + 1) = V) a dollar of stock is equivalent to a dollar of cash. This way, dividends are given high priority by stock purchasers and are a good way to lure investors in.
b archer
RJ: sloane inc
CO: sloane

+ / -

Total Posts: 21
Want to improve player time away if it's more than 2 weeks or a month put them jn holiday mode until return to game.
Relish shares in any company owned.
If a player is running a company and the owner leaves give him the opportunity to buy it privately via npc bank at reduced costs.

You need to register or login to post a reply.