Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » Encouraging Steady Play in EoS

Encouraging Steady Play in EoS

Matthew Suozzo
RJ: Buckaroo Bonzai

Post Rating: 3
+ / -

Total Posts: 40
TLDR: I think products should be moved to your warehouse as they are produced at factories instead of having the complete contents of the job moved on completion.

In my experience with EoS so far, the time required to manage your business effectively is great but more than this, running a business requires CONSTANT attention. I see one area that would certainly make my life easier and I think others would benefit as well:

Making production returns gradual instead of a lump amount at the end of the production, regardless of its accuracy to actual commerce, would open up EoS to a more casual player-base.

Especially for new players relying on store sales and not B2B, having a trickle of Lemons or Limes instead of waiting for the end of production would both encourage continued attention for new players and make the punishments for taking a 12-hour break much less severe for everyone else.

In the early days of my company when I was strapped for cash and needed a constant stream of products to sell at my market, I kept having to stop my production short when my warehouse (and thus store stock) ran low. Correct me if I'm wrong but there isn't any penalty for stopping a production task. This almost incentivised my obsessive starting and stopping of production.

I think my prescribed solution would be unobtrusive to established players and a real boon for the game's retention.
David MacIver
RJ: DRMacIver
CO: David R. MacIver

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 47
I'm super in favour of this solution. I've resorted to ridiculous amounts of stockpiling before I offer something in the retail market in order to make sure I don't have to constantly manage the output.
Atorek Flarecrystal
RJ: Atorek Flarecrystal

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 11
Gradual production sounds quite nice, I'm much in favor.
David Stark
RJ: Zarkonnen
CO: David Stark

+ / -

Total Posts: 53
I agree also. In practice, I'm spending a large amount of time managing the flow of goods through my company - doing short runs, constantly buying stock, constantly re-starting the sale of goods when I don't manage to buy or make stock in time and the stock level drops to 0.
Spoor Wishfull
RJ: Spoo Drunkenpass

Post Rating: 35
+ / -

Total Posts: 2
The decision for updates to happen at the end of the cycle is one designed to minimize the load on the database, so having production created as it happens could lead to a performance hit on the game. A half and half solution might be nice, say updating each account once per hour on different ticks (ie user id mod 4) to distribute the load. This also has the benefit of being scalable, you can divide the player base over more ticks to increase performance.

Of course there is always plan b which I'm doing. Don't do small runs, do long ones instead and just accept that your stores will lie fallow for a while while you convert to a more efficient structure, just like in real life! Of course you are still going to encounter the exact same problem again as you balance your factory to store size ratio.
Wizzard Hicks
RJ: Wizzzard Siggy
CO: Wizzzard Siggy

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
The major problem thus would run into now is with the scaling prices. The larger amount you produce at once makes the run cheaper, and I am under the impression that stopping early recalculates the price.

other people have the right idea- do longer production runs. If you are supplying stores then set your prices to a point where you only need restocked when your production run ends.
David MacIver
RJ: DRMacIver
CO: David R. MacIver

+ / -

Total Posts: 47
Sure, every hour would be fine. I'd even be ok with it only doing it lazily - if you run out of stuff in a store pulling anything you've already produced out into your warehouse. That being said, seeing as store calculations happen every tick it doesn't seem that much worse to make warehouse ones do so as well.

You need to register or login to post a reply.