Scott is Back

Previous [1] 2 3 Next
Jurry Hart
RJ: jurry
CO: Jurre

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 78
Scott is back on the development of EOS/Captitalism, he never abandoned us as some thought.

Even more there's an update on hist player profile:
3/7/2013:
A deep apology to you all.

A major update is under way and is expected to be applied near the end of March. he servers will be taken down for at least 2 hours but the maintenance message will be sent 3+ days ahead of the update date.

Steve Relf
RJ: Steve Relf
CO: Steve Relf

+ / -

Total Posts: 12
So i decide to quit, and scott comes back....
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Yeah, Steve, I heard he was waiting for you to quit before he would come back.

Seriously, I am glad he is back, and hope you will too. I have a dispute with the idea that "he never abandoned us as some thought." Of course he did. I hate to be the one to point out that he just freaking disappeared for months and left the ship to drift, the inmates to run the asylum into the ground, and the enterprise as a whole to get beaten bloody.

That being said, I, for one, am excited that he is back. I can't wait to see what he has figured out in his months of hiatus. I am also particularly interested in getting the High Court open for business. I am also anxious to see the fate of the nation's bot population.

This is great news. I shall have to get the presses rolling again.
Tomaž Rozina
RJ: Mytheos
CO: Mytheos

+ / -

Total Posts: 17
Thats awesome guys/girs :)
Especially with update things!
Steve Relf
RJ: Steve Relf
CO: Steve Relf

+ / -

Total Posts: 12
I wont be activly playing untill he actually updates something, but ill keep checking in now and again.

Scott if your there post on the forum...
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
that's a good news, waiting more infos from him.
Hajji Pajji
RJ: Trade Merchant
CO: VonDutch

+ / -

Total Posts: 194
I'm with Goode... So he's back? But he's to busy to post on here? But he's going to have time to be back?
Jurry Hart

+ / -

I don't want to be rude nor do I want to offend anyone, but the fact is that this game/project is being developed in Scott's free personal time, and is provided to us totally free.We just can't pretend he dedicates his free and personal time 100% to us.

I do understand the reaction/doubt about the future. But starting to immediately question his future involvement isn't quiet encouraging.

Since there should be a major update around the end of march, probably he's busy reviewing and or rewriting code to add or be able to add the requested features that where added in the time of his absence.

I propose to wait until the major update has arrived, and then see and if needed ask Scott to be more present/communicative on the forum.
Bob Malone

+ / -

in any case, this remains a 'wtf' communication.
Brent Goode

+ / -

I don't think you are being rude, Jurry, but I think there is something you are missing.
Scott was incredibly communicative when he was around. And he walked at a time when there was a lot of bickering about problems in the game. So to hear that he is back from someone other than Scott himself, and to hear that Scott is working on something (which we have heard before, by the way) that will be released at a later date from someone other than Scott himself, is not particularly reassuring. Not that I doubt your sincerity in declaring these potential events, as I believe you believe them to be accurate, but many here feel forced to take a wait-and-see attitude because they have been there and done that.

AS for the "and is provided to us totally free," nonsense, that is a choice Scott made. And it is obtuse in some ways. He has always been vocal about entertaining the idea of developing the site to cash in, whether by starting premiums, advertising, or selling it outright. This is the investment part of that. Do you think he could charge for the experience people have been playing through for the last few months? I understand your argument, and even agree with it a little. But it isn't as black and white as all that by a long shot.

BTW, if this update is what he was working on before he disappeared, he is going to end up restarting everyone from scratch. People will be compensated based on their company values in some way, and we will all be starting over with new (smaller) plot concepts. I can promise you, if that is what happens, there will be a lot more for you to defend than "its free so shut up." ;-)
Jurry Hart

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

I can agree with what you're saying Brent.

About the communication issue I agree, that it has been absent since his disappearance.As for the news I brought is available on his player profile, so I just copied it here. The fact that I believe them to be accurate is due to a response I received from an inquiry I made in the past, about this project/game, where Scott told me he was working on the code.

For the rest I just put myself in the point of view of Scott, to explain me better:
>>>
Let's say I was Scott, I started this project/game, I get people to play the game. Make changes, I receive bug reports, complaints about bots, people not plying nice, etc etc... for some reason I stop development and disappear .... time passes ... For reason X I want to take up the project again, but I prefer to do it on the low to avoid being flooded with messages/requests. After some time I see the code review/additions come to a point where I decide to update my players profile with some news, I respond to some inquiry I received in the past. Then I see people putting in doubt my future commitment to the project/game.
<<<
At this point me(Jurry), thought a minute and decided that this "doubt thingy" isn't very encouraging to read for the person who decided after a long time to come back, and thus I decided to post what I posted, to let know my idea. I agree this is only a supposition.

I didn't had the intention to say "its free so shut up.", but more something in the sense of "This is not a payed service, so don't expect the same treatment as you would get from a payed service".

Bob Malone

+ / -

I am still wondering why he doesnt post on the forum.
Just saying few words about what happend and/or what will happen doesnt cost anything.
Paul Jikanski
RJ: Paul Jikanski
CO: Paul Jikanski

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Him not posting or making an OFFICIAL return (other than the update on his player profile) allows him to work at his own pace. And not worry about checking forums every single day and responding to all the requests, comments, concerns, or whatever else that would flood the forums upon his post.

If you guys really would like Scott to come back, let him return the way he feels comfortable. No one knows why he left. No one knows why he returned. Until we know those things, people should back off a little bit and let him do his thing. Everyone has RL problems, and problems on the interwebs can just make them worse, or result in not wanting to deal with said interwebs at all.
Brent Goode

+ / -

As far as I am concerned he has not returned at all. All we have is a date that he supposedly logged on once. He has done that before. Had so many of these people not stuck around doggedly awaiting his "return" he wouldn't have anything to return to. I remember one of his last posts being that he was busy playing another browser game.

That was his choice.

I don't care what any apologist has to say, he left everyone hanging. He has been gone a long damned time. He has not returned. The root of his headaches are still here in the form of poor player controls. Nothing has changed there for more than half a year.

Those are his choices.

I see no reason to feel angry at him. I feel no reason to feel sorry for him. I don't care how "comfortable" he is in coming or going. This isn't psych lab 101. He is a big boy. He isn't the first one to burn out on a project. He doesn't owe me anything, but he owes some of the players that stuck it out all the way through an explanation.

Those are his choices.
Paul Jikanski
RJ: Paul Jikanski
CO: Paul Jikanski

+ / -

I don't play this game awaiting anyone's return. I play this game because I think its fun. Whether Scott returns or not, I will continue to play likely until the servers are shut down or I get bored and move on to another game. (I came here from virtonomics, which is actively developed, although I still hop on there once or twice a week to manage my company)
I play this game the way it is "supposed" to be played, despite the people who may bot or exploit. I don't trade between my companies to complete B2B quests. All my companies are private so my only stock market involvement is investing in other people's companies and hoping they run a legit business so one day my stocks pay off. Battling the people who don't do those things makes it even more fun, at least we have some real competition.

I didn't even start playing until AFTER Scott left. So I've never seen him here at all.

Scott may not have "returned" in the sense that you want him to, but unless his player profile got hacked and someone is trolling us via the developer's own profile, he is most certainly still working on developing the game, whether he makes public announcements about it via the forums or not. If no update comes by the 2nd week of April, then my apologies for the above paragraph.

I was not trying to get anyone to pity Scott, or feel bad for him, or be a carebare via forum posts. Simply just take a step back and look at the situation as a whole. Not everyone is 100% dedicated to something that doesn't earn them money, they do it for fun in that case. If Scott made this game for fun (which is apparently the case here), then he enjoyed coding and programming, not discussing these things on the forums. Many (most?) online browser games receive little word from the developers, if any at all. Maybe posts about upcoming updates and that's it. However, announcing that you do not wish to participate in discussions on forums about the game, but wish to continue developing, can possibly be discouraging to the players who wish to have an active relationship with the developers.

And it's not just a date that he logged in, it's a message with an included date of when he posted that message. He typed that date himself, announcing an upcoming update, not the computer programming updating his log in time. So unless someone hacked his account, I would consider this a low-profile return, with a message to the players with which he does not want feedback. If he had said that on forums, and then simply never responded to any further posts on that thread, I imagine most people would react negatively.

Sorry if you feel that Scott abandoned you and the players or whatever the case may be, but since he worked on the game in his spare time, for nothing but the joy of working with computer coding/programming, and is FAR from well a known company or even a company at all, public announcements and active relationships with players are far from necessary or even expected. If he did this before he left, then that is just a bonus and +1 for Scott for doing so. Like you said, if he left, that's his choice. We shouldn't hold anything against him. If he made a public statement announcing his return, and then did not return, or respond to posts on that forum, that would be a different story.

Again, I'm not trying to defend Scott or anything, I have never even met him (or whatever you would consider that over the internet). But I enjoy the game he provided me for free, so however he wants to proceed/return is up to him, his choice, and I will not change the way I play based upon what Scott does, because I like the game as is. Any further development is just +2.
I guess my point is that (if his player profile is correct) he simply would like to return to developing the game on his own, at his own pace, working on what he wants to work on, rather than to the becks and calls and demands of the forums and people who are not paying him (although they may like to). It's just that I've played many a browser game, and never have I seen one created, developed, managed, and ran by 1 single person, for free, especially not by someone who USED to be so active in the game's community.

However this post may come across I hope no one takes it personally. I do not wish to argue with anyone, I would rather keep positive relationships with all. I hold no grudges in game based on forum conversations/debates. After all, we are all just sharing our opinions. In fact I enjoyed reading your posts in World News BB Goode. I found myself wondering why there hasn't been any new ones in months!
Brent Goode

+ / -

Your points are fairly made and fair enough. As you said, you never "met" Scott, so have a bit less to go on than those that waited for him to return based on other impressions that Scot himself left. I don't think anyone here really holds much against him. I think it is more a sense of being let down after how excited he got over every detail of the game, and the fun he had "playing" President of Econosia. I would hope he comes back with some of that spirit still left in him. A beat-up-defeated-and-resigned Scott would indeed be a letdown.

For my part, I would like to see him say something to those hardy souls that waited and continued to play. They deserve something from him, and I would be shocked if he didn't say something eloquent, humorous and heartfelt. It is who he seemed to be. But I would also be happy to see him pull back just a tad from his involvement level before he left. He kept a hell of a pace, and I am not surprised he burned out, if that is what happened. I would hope he would finally get the point about certain game rule/structures that caused a lot of his headaches. I have often wondered if he wasn't spending time with other dev's figuring out some of those things. We shall see.

At any rate, you seem like a loyal fan of the game and I hope whatever he does is worth your faith and effort. He is a mostly pretty smart guy, if stubborn at times. AS I said earlier, I know what he intended to do before he left, and I am most interested to see what he does in that regard. It will certainly burn some people's bacon, but should be a fun new slant on this game. Again, we shall wait and see, which is all we can do anyway.
Previous [1] 2 3 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.