Ratjoy.com » Forums » Ratjoy.com General Discussion » Scott is Back

Scott is Back

Clif Purkiser
RJ: Clif
CO: strollen

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 5
I played EOS for several months but once Scott disappeared, I stopped playing.

I'd love to play again if Scott is going to be devoting time to improve or more importantly market the game. However, I'd really like to start the game on fresh server where people don't have tens of billions of dollars and insane quality products.

So my question to Scott or anybody else is are the plans to do a restart and if so when might that be?
dan bra
RJ: King
CO:

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Total Posts: 55
i agree with this guy^
Christopher Fowler
RJ: W. T. Snacks
CO: Sirkh

+ / -

Total Posts: 71
Scott has stated before that he would not do a player wipe. In fact if you took the time to search the forums you would find the very reason why he won't do such a thing at this time - the players themselves and their choice to abuse certain features of this game. A few bad apples ruined the bunch and because of it there won't be a player wipe.

Then again it is the intrinsic nature of humans to be greedy, selfish, conniving, manipulative creatures that exploit all resources and abuse their environment, whether is is an online game or the world itself. That is why we have players who bot, who gouge prices, who abuse bugs, who use exploits, and so on and so forth. That is why I am not surprised that there are such individuals in this game who cause problems for everyone else and as a result ruin the fun for everyone.

I am not disagreeing with either of you Clif or Dan. I am just stating the facts. I mean, a player wipe would be nice but that would not solve anything in the long term. In fact it would be rather detrimental to the game itself. Player wipes cause people to leave games because of attachment to their virtual selves and possessions in those games. Therefore a player wipe would cause this game to lose more players than anything else in the history of this game.

Just work at developing your own companies and maybe someday you won't wish for a player wipe that you won't get anyways because Scott has said that he will not perform such a thing. He said such a thing just before the launch of [i]Capitalism Online[/i] last year, and I think Scott is the kind of person to stick by his guns.
Hajji Pajji
RJ: Trade Merchant
CO: VonDutch

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 194
Two comments:

How would "me" losing all my money effect your game? And as Chris mentioned above, if you wipe "my" money I'd quit and therefore that'd effect your game by having less players....

And two:

If you want a "level playing field" start on CO, I just started over there and there aren't tons of billionaires.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
I think it is important to remember that this is a test site. It is actually beneficial, even crucial to keep the mega-players here as they put other kinds of stress on the system that allow Scott to test everything at many levels of play.
dan bra
CO:

+ / -

What about opening a new server (not physically, a different "world" of the game).
this is extremely common in many browser games.
dont get me wrong, the game is fun. but its controlled by just a couple of mega companies, who plays it basically, as if its a single player game. and i say let them stay in the old world if they want to.but open a new one for the others sake.

I dream about a game where players are actually competing each other, fighting over market share and fluctuating demand makes people storming new markets. right now every mega-corp is entrenched in its own niche and they aint going no where and so does this game eventually if this never change

the people who talks in the forums are of a very distinct 'demographic'
the people who are the most active and posts in the forum, tend to be the the bigger players who are by no means the majority.
and what i mean to say by that is, people here do not represent the true interest of the average player and this is something for the admin to remember.

Hajji Pajji

+ / -

Everything you say you want is on Capitalism Online server....

And I actually agree with what BB said about on the EoS server, these mega-corps help see what could happen to the CO server
Christopher Fowler
RJ: W. T. Snacks
CO: Sirkh

Post Rating: 57
+ / -

Total Posts: 71
the people who talks in the forums are of a very distinct 'demographic'
the people who are the most active and posts in the forum, tend to be the the bigger players who are by no means the majority.
and what i mean to say by that is, people here do not represent the true interest of the average player and this is something for the admin to remember.

You're full of it. I may be one of the older players in this game and I may be an active forum-goer but I by far am nowhere even close to being considered one of the bigger players in this game. I would downvote your comment for that sweeping generalization you made in your post but I am out of votes.

I dream about a game where players are actually competing each other, fighting over market share and fluctuating demand makes people storming new markets. right now every mega-corp is entrenched in its own niche and they aint going no where and so does this game eventually if this never change

We have that already in both Economies of Scale and Capitalism Online, just in varying degrees. You can compete with the mega-corporations. It just takes patience, determination and confidence in yourself and your business.

What about opening a new server (not physically, a different "world" of the game).
this is extremely common in many browser games.
dont get me wrong, the game is fun. but its controlled by just a couple of mega companies, who plays it basically, as if its a single player game. and i say let them stay in the old world if they want to.but open a new one for the others sake.

Casual games like Runescape and Evony do that because they have a population that is large enough to require such a thing. Capitalism Online and Economies of Scale have maybe a little over a hundred people online at any given time so such a thing isn't necessary until the mainstream population becomes intelligent enough to understand a game like this and thus takes this game up instead of choosing to play Farmville or Bejeweled.

If you're tired of not doing well in Economies of Scale then just get better. Ask for help and listen to those who perhaps are more experienced than you are. Don't just rush in like one Leroy Jenkins like how many people on the internet do when it comes to video games. Take your time to develop an understanding of the game and then get better. Just get better and you'll be fine.

The alternative is Capitalism Online but personally that's easy mode. I can make close to $10.0 M a day in Capitalism Online with just a farmer's market and a boatload of condiments bought from someone else. That is why I play Economies of Scale - Capitalism Online is too easy and thus you can't really get to the level you can with Economies of Scale.

To sum it up and not to be mean, quit whining. Actually play the game for more than a month before deciding that you want something better, and just get better and more skilled yourself. Ask for advice from one of the more experienced players if you're stuck and if you want a much easier time that requires less skill, play Capitalism Online.

Anyways I have to agree with Brent and Hajji, these mega-corporations are a good example of what can go both so very right and so horribly wrong with a game like Capitalism Online. That's why we have Economies of Scale set up as the test server after all. If people don't want to test this game thoroughly then they should probably play the finished product, Capitalism Online.
dan bra
CO:

Post Rating: 2
+ / -

You turned this into me "whining" because thats easy for you attack. Im not talking about my, or any single person's condition. Christopher you especially being really obnoxious, please leave myself out of the discussion.

@Hajji Pajji
in the case this game is all about being a modeling software, you would be absolutely right. but i think its also meant to be a game of its own right?

@christopher
1. So when im claiming the people here do not represent the average player, you claim its not true by saying you personally are not one the most bigger players... please google the logical fallacy term of "Proof by example".

2. "We have that already in both Economies of Scale and Capitalism Online, just in varying degrees"
But is there any argument against increasing these degrees? i must have missed it
Clif Purkiser
RJ: Clif
CO: strollen

+ / -

Total Posts: 5
A couple of points.

@haija "Everything you say you want is on Capitalism Online server...."
I am confused I know of a Beta server EOS and normal server and I have accounts on both. I have $36 million (but my company disappeared which I understand) on the normal server is their 3rd server that just started, cause I was Capitalism Online a year ago.

I don't really care what happens to the existing players cause quite frankly 100 players (or probably less after duplicate accounts) isn't enough to make this an interesting game for me. There are simply too many product lines where their monopolies or oligopolies, too many product where you have to vertically integrate, to be make any kind of money.

If there were are 1,000 players or even better 10,000 (both numbers far less than Capitalism sales over the years). We could open a new virtual servers every few which would level the playing field, and possibly make challenges like the who can accumulate the great net worth in a year of real time.

As you can see from my forum join date. I played this game fairly early, and at time when Scott was considering commercializing it. I heard about from a serious game forum Quarter To Three and Scott even join QT3 and was trying to promote it.

So with all due respect to you devoted fans, like Brent, who I'd really like to hear from is Scott himself.

I personally think that Capitalism is a viable business with some marketing dollars and some way of monetizing. (I'd pay $40-$60 a year for a premium account). 10,000 players 10% pay $5/month= $5k/month.

But there is only one person who can transform Capitalism Online from a hobby to something more, Scott.
Hajji Pajji

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Well I won't try to hijack your post anymore, I agree that it would many many times the enjoyment and depth to both market this game and have 10,000 players, I think everyone agrees with that, I would like to hear Scott's response to that comment as well

Where I come in, your second point of restarting and clearing "billionaires" accounts, doesn't effect or add to the above point you just made, so we differ there
Mlbwy Starwarsfan
RJ: Urist McCheedows
CO: Urist McTycoon

+ / -

Total Posts: 10
Well, I'm a very new player but who said newbies can't give their 2 cents? So here goes:

Unless some of the large companies actually actively try to drive you out of business (which to me right now seems a no) then I don't see a reason to take away the hours of work they devoted to this awesome game.

Let's face it, this isn't a particularly popular game. I found out about EoS from the Bay12 forums, not sure if you guys heard of it but anyways. Honestly cheap advertisement for this game would be to join active, friendly forums to advertise EoS
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
One of the points of the Scale part of Economies of Scale, is that you will never compete with the largest companies for market share. Since demand is based, largely, on the size of the Stores you build, everyone is pretty much creating their own market share by simply building stores to sell products.

I would also like to hear a lot more from Scott. I am always torn when I do, however. His latest note about the stock market is not encouraging. There has always been a somewhat anarchistic, let-the-bad-guys-win dark side to his vision of this game that has left me unnerved and, frankly, disappointed. He admits loving games that are bot free, but won't make his own endeavor bot free, even when the activity is driving people out of the game. So yes, I would also like to hear more from Scott. He is entertaining and interesting. But it is always a two-edged sword for me.

As for Capitalism being easy...I don't find that the case. The big increases in expenses and land costs make it a bit more difficult for new players to get a grip on. The only advantage I see there is that there are fewer players, so it is easier to find a market niche to address. Knowing that the Import/Export feature is going by the wayside soon, I would encourage players living on that to get engaged or they will have a hard time when that game is upgraded.

Finally, I don't know that calling EoS a "game in its own right" means anything profound. It is the test version. Of course it is supposed to be a functional game. But it is also a place where the most unpredictable things can happen for the sake of seeing what results, and how players react. I don't assume anything Scott does there is ever going to make it to prime time. It might, it might not. That is the kind of the point. It has been a while since he cut the production of crops due to drought, or jacked demand for shoes through the roof, but that is what EoS is here for.

As for me being a fan...yeah, I guess so. But make no mistake, these forums are full of my discontent as well as my support. Like most players here, I try to simply call it as I see it.
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
Ratan Joyce [Write to Ratan Joyce]
something
Full-Time Investor
(Player Last Active: September 21, 2013, 1:15 PM)
Hajji Pajji

+ / -

Anyone know how to contact scott

You need to register or login to post a reply.