Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS Litigations » Suing: Howard Roark and Galt Industrial Inc.

Suing: Howard Roark and Galt Industrial Inc.

Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next
Matt Leitch
RJ: Howard Roark

Post Rating: -4
+ / -

Total Posts: 8

I did not create a new account nor have I created a series of shell companies to intentionally defraud investors (but that does give me an idea...)

I was effectively handed majority ownership of an existing company with assests I immediately set about liberating. There are NO rules against this and there is NO code of conduct I agreed to prior to playing EOS. To create one now and set about enforcing it retroactively is absurd.

This game will evlove as its players and ultimately RJ see fit.
Create all the rules you wish - Everybody gets a trophy - make the game as perscriptive as possible.

If one cent of my wealth is looted from me as a result of this - You can have it all.

I cannot stop you from destroying EOS. Howard Roark will not be a part of it.

David Donlon
RJ: Fenious Buttersmith

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Total Posts: 79
I was effectively handed majority ownership of an existing company with assests I immediately set about liberating. There are NO rules against this and there is NO code of conduct I agreed to prior to playing EOS. To create one now and set about enforcing it retroactively is absurd.

lol, no.
Shawn Purkey
RJ: Sepiche

Post Rating: 5
+ / -

Total Posts: 1
You know Howard, I probably like many others here had some sympathy for you initially, but a couple things about this stand out to me.

First, whatever you may tell yourself, using the b2b to transfer money from a publicly traded company you control is quite obvious theft. I was a share holder at the time, and your actions contributed to the state of the company and contributed to a significant loss for me and many others whether you're will to acknowledge that or not.

Second, there are SO many different ways to make a lot of money in EoS... a hell of a lot more than $140m, but this is how you chose to go about it? That says a lot more about you than anything else you've said here really.

Personally after seeing the exchanges here, I'm even more convinced the book should be thrown at you. And honestly, the amount you stole is laughably small man... just take the hit and walk it off. No need for all the theatrics.
John Bouton
RJ: John Bouton
CO: LOL

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 20
Howards Roark knows that taxation is theft. Steal one red cent from him and he's Going Galt.
Andrew Wiggen
RJ: Andrew Wiggen
CO: stessier

Post Rating: 8
+ / -

Total Posts: 16
Wait, Howard is actually mad about this? I thought he was just playing along after getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

I like the idea of codified rules. Kind of a pain, and completely unnecessary in a world without Howards and Enrons, but that's the world we live in. (Publishing and Law Books can be the next Tech line opened up in the next update!)

I wouldn't want Howard to leave, but do think there should be some punishment.

Ay Vee
RJ: Ay Vee

Post Rating: 8
+ / -

Total Posts: 33
Considering his name, I'm not sure if he's actually mad, or just RPing. :)

Personally, I think that he deliberately used the B2B to circumvent the game mechanics, knew he did so at the time, and is butthurt because he got called on it. These transactions are after suspicious trades started getting flagged in the logs (possibly before the system which lets players know which trades are suspicious was implemented, but there were public consequences of money laundering applied before that system went into effect). I think it's morally reprehensible to think that as majority shareholder he's only responsible to himself. But he's right there appear to be no codified rules.

I never was a shareholder of GoonPower, so I have no interest in a specific settlement. I do think it needs to be codified for the future that CEOs/Chairs have a fiduciary responsibility to the robo-pirate-zombie-ninja-ghost shareholders in addition to the human shareholders.

On a side note, it would be really cool if we ended up with a player run court system (with players as judges, and Ratan as the appeals court) with pleadings and amicus curie briefs and such, as appeared to be developing in the middle of the thread. Something like a "court" subforum in which each case has a thread and judges get limited moderator authority... :) :)
Art Vandelay
RJ: Arthur Vandelay
CO: eightysixed

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
A voting system on the Punishment would be ideal.
Matt Leitch

Post Rating: -2
+ / -

I love cookies - Let's go with that analogy.

No question I had both hands and both feet in the cookie jar of GoonPower Inc. I also had 99% proportial ownership of the cookies and the jar when the previous owner dumped shares. I think we all understand that in reality this would never happen ie. the stock price would rationalize the situation by sewering once 90% of shares hit the market.

I have since learned that robot shareholders are real and they protect us from the evils of this risk. I was not aware of their presence at the time or that I had any duty of care to them.

Shawn Purkey - There are several people on this forum that feel I have violated their version of absolute morality. They have labeled me a criminal and a fraud. So be it.
As a shareholder of record at the time you are the only one that has legitimate claim to make. I ate your cookies.
I have admited to this and as an act of good faith offered to compensate you for your "significant loss"

But let's examine what you are really entitled to. I'll assume your total ownership was 0.5% (Looking at your situation this is probably generous but it serves to illustrate a point) Total assets in dispute are $143M so techincally your piece of the cookie would be $715K.

I have offered you $2.04M (510,000 shares x $4.00)
Yet you feel entitled to more. You think they should 'throw the book at me'.
All I ask is who did I steal from and what book do you want to throw?

There are others that had no stake in these transactions whatsoever - but now feel they have an obligation to play the moral authority. That's always funny.

You are right there are many ways to make money in EOS. When suing other players on this forum becomes a legitamate one - That's where I loose intrest.

As a player it has been pretty interesting reading the different perspectives on this. Whatever you might think of Howard - Thanks for your comments.

Matt.
David Donlon
RJ: Fenious Buttersmith

+ / -

Total Posts: 79
Doesn't anyone else see that Howard is trying to apply unwritten rules to get him out of having broken unwritten rules? ie, he's saying he shouldn't be punished because all rules should be posted in a game, never mind that we are talking about a beta game. Where does that rule come from? If the appeal is to "common sense of fairness" then hey, how about someone ripping people off on purpose? Doesn't that cross the "common sense of fairness" barrier too?

It's pure unadulterated irony!
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Good lord, this is the second time in as many weeks of me playing that this has arisen. And I am more accepting of it as practice, as I play and see the other negative business things that are slowly growing on me as part of the experience, though notable dangerous to players and the future of the game, possibly.

I am thinking that if we are going to allow this kind of corruption, then we should also have prison sentences. As it appears that one week is about the same as a year (based on my character's aging) Then a 10 year prison sentence would be a 10 week ban from the game.

Now, if all you lawyers playing the game can come up with a set of sentencing guidelines, we can really have some fun with the criminals. *Big smile, goes back to reading sales reports and drinking over-priced coffee.*
Minwoo Hyeong
RJ: Dead Eyes

+ / -

I have performed a thorough count of unnecessary breaks of character between the two parties and have found Noxiousdog to have the majority. Under these metrics (which are arguably the most important in this case) Noxiousdog should be fined a not partly wholly insignificant amount.

An alternative method of deciding this case would be to use an existing set of rules in absence of actual game rules. Clearly, the most applicable code here is American prison code. When an convict in prison appeals to authorities, no matter the reason, he is vilified by the convict community and often receives a message to this effect via forced bloodletting. This is established common law, referred to as "snitches get stitches".

So while some ambiguously stated "common sense" may dictate that Howard Roarke is at fault, more rigorous and established methods of justice weigh in his favor. In fact, the two most important factors that should be considered here, that Howard is a better roleplayer and that convicts would shank Noxiousdog, not Howard, are the only things that should be considered.
Hank Reardumb
RJ: Hank Reardumb

+ / -

Total Posts: 2
If this is a game that is intended to grow and add users, banning people for operating within the allowable (non-hacking) confines of the game is ridiculous. I am not involved in this scandal (because I suck at EoS), but tend to side with Howard.

His actions may have been underhanded, but aren't prohibited by the rules of the game. I think underhanded or corrupt behavior should be allowable, as should a board who can levy fines against players who behave this way and are caught. But there shouldn't be jail/bans outside of true instances of cheating or hacking.

TL/DR: Either create strict rules that require everyone to be perfect citizens, or allow corruption with in-game negative consequences that allow those players to continue playing.
Richard Ripberger
RJ: Rip
CO: Rip

+ / -

Total Posts: 153
So Howard how much of that cookie was yours? So anything you gained that was not YOUR part of the cookie was actually taken from another user or NPC, or the GOVERNMENT. The governing body has an interest because it was defrauded of taxes due to it.

I think the bigger problem that is being missed by all this is the people that dumped the shares and made a fortune. There are more companies than this one that were founded under the pretense of pumping up the price ravaging the companies and dumping the stock at the inflated price leaving a floating turd like goon power became. I would imagine that Howard would not have taken his actions if he hadn't ended up being Chairman unexpectedly and found himself unprepared. Then seeing that he had been screwed by the previous chairman he followed suit.

This bigger issue is one we need to address and perhaps a board comprised of Chairman of the largest corporations would be a way.

I would ask Howard not to take all this personal and to point out that I think everyone is MUCH more concerned about finding a way to rid the game of these things than to punish him. Your perspective on this is just as valuable as everyone else and contributing to developing a solution would be more of a service to the community than paying any fines.

I would submit the idea that there be a Board of Trustees for the stock exchange that should develop policies for participation in the exchange. With the power to not only fine but to suspend or revoke a persons ability to participate in the exchange.
Hank Reardumb
RJ: Hank Reardumb

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 2
^^^ That is what I was trying to say, but Rip did it so much better.
Matt Leitch

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

I think you are on to something Rip...

In this case the 'government' could not have owned any part of GoonPower Inc. at anytime. If they did the share price would not have behaved so irrationally after the initial selloff. If someone/something stepped in an bought all the outstanding shares the stock price should not have changed & Howard would never have been Chair/CEO.

If a share buyback update works effectively - this issue is solved. Howard could have used the company's money and bought back all availible shares. Raising the stock price and giving him a true 90% ownership in GoonPower Inc. He could then sell his shares and 'legally' realize their value - 90% of the cookie.

Instead he used the B2B to surface value. From a taxation perspective the government is kept whole because Howard still needs to pay taxes through the affiliate he sold to.

As a player I would not want to see the element of 'creative accounting' eliminated entirely. Like many others I have been burned countless times in the EOS stock market -but that's the risk and part of the fun. It also illustrates the importance of obtaining a controling intrest. I have 'inherited' companies in the past, done work to build them back up only to have a big fish pull the rug out from me because I could not afford to obtain control.

In my opinion we don't need more rules or kangaroo courts dishing out ham-fisted justice. It all gets too arbitrary - and who watches the watchmen?
Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.