Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » Arbitrary or Inconsistent Enforcement of the "Rules".

Arbitrary or Inconsistent Enforcement of the "Rules".

Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next
Aaron Barr
RJ: Aaron
CO: Aaron

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 81
all else aside, not worth arguing about at this point. Getting a company super rich by creating money out of thin air does affect everyone. It will just create massive inflation if left unchecked when more and more people start doing it. Sure it won't happen over night. But one has to be careful with balancing money generation (store sales, stock) vs money being removed from the system (maintenance). Too much money being artificially generated will cause inflation. People legitimately making money will suffer.
Kudaros Cornercutter
RJ: Kudaros

+ / -

Total Posts: 17
Yeah, your reaction to seeing perma jailed posters is disappointing. You have a cool idea with this game. It is a cool enough idea that I spent time thinking about how to improve it. You've got tons of people doing that. In the thread which brought you many more players than are represented as posting in this forum (most people just lurk, rather than post in the 'games' subforum), people are doing just that - as well as complaining and making fun of the situation (it is a comedy forum, after all).

But banning players who (this is a poorly disguised defense, as well as unsolicited advice) are tangentially involved without notice or explanation while maintaining what is best described as a double standard is a poor idea. I pulled out of a company that was being used for manipulation (unknown to me until after I realized I had suddenly become chairman of an extremely well funded company) and made something like 400 M from that transaction. My networth went to 13 G over a period of a month of daily stocking, expanding, b2b activity, and planning -compared with whatever nonsense other players have done to inflate their earnings. This is a poor idea because you may think of commercializing this game a bit one day. I certainly would have been willing to pay for 'VIP' or whatever it was called.

Naples/Salad's post has been down voted greatly but it is actually the most pragmatic advice of all.

Victoria Raverna
RJ: Victoria Raverna
CO: Victoria Raverna

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Total Posts: 107
This is a game and inflation is normal because there is no way to balance money generated with money being removed. Trying to balance those will break the game because it'll make it impossible to average players to play when their revenue will be eaten by cost and their company can easily losing money.

People play game like this to grow their company. To keep players, there has to a growth which mean money generated > money removed.

I agree that to get a company super rich using exploit does affect everyone. It changes the balance of the competition. If it is much easier to use exploit to increase your NW, then that make producing and selling products become meaningless in related to competing with other's NW.

Shan Van
RJ: S. Wine
CO: Shan Van

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 18
scott: Considering this is just a game, and one that you have complete control over, I am at a loss to understand why you did not:

a) Ban the original offensive player
b) erase all traces of his ill-gotten gains
c) restore the various game elements affected to their last known (fairest) configuration

I know you're trying to emulate a real economy (where the injustices that some players rail against take place with mundane regularity, BTW), but you can only go so far with a computer simulation.

You have access to the game code and can "hand wave away" any and all problems like these that arise.

Why not just mash the big red RESET THE WORLD button, let the haters hate, and move on?
Victoria Raverna

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Good idea. Does the game has a daily backup? Maybe when something big exploit like this happens, you can just roll back to before the start. This game need a time machine. :)
Aaron Barr
RJ: Aaron
CO: Aaron

+ / -

Total Posts: 81
@Victoria "This is a game and inflation is normal because there is no way to balance money generated with money being removed. Trying to balance those will break the game because it'll make it impossible to average players to play when their revenue will be eaten by cost and their company can easily losing money."

yes, not balance as in 1=1 but balance so that company growth does not get out of control. 2 options right now if I want the robocitizens money.

Option 1, Stores will generate money "out of thin air" when buying products. I have big production costs, building stores, factories, buying supplies, paying maintenance...

Or option 2: IPO and (now disabled thank god) reissuing stock. At the moment these two methods are not balanced at all. Pure stock manipulation companies can gain wealth exponentially faster. This has to be, and will be fixed given time. But lets all just at least acknowledge that stock manipulation was dominating the game lately.

This is why I'm still of the opinion that IPOs shouldn't "generate" money. If I'm a plastic producer with some personal wealth and a toy company is IPOing, I probably want to invest in that. It will directly benefit me and my industry if a toy company has huge factories because they need tons of plastic. So demand for my product is up, and assuming they profit from my and others plastic, stock price is up and again I benefit from my investment.

Thats rational thought. Robocitizens and equations are simply incapable of rational thought no matter what the algorithm
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: -7
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
I'm not going to waste more time here other than stating I've been generally following a player voted list of urgently needed features, and that the stock market ask/bid system is ranked quite low on that vote.

I'm sure most of you won't feel I've been "wasting my time" when the factory/R&D queues got here, right?
Richard Ripberger
RJ: Rip
CO: Rip

+ / -

Total Posts: 153
I think the vote to disable the stock market until it works right would be much higher than that, if we are voting.
Ham K
RJ: SoftThenRough
CO: Spartacus

+ / -

Total Posts: 41
Just suspend the stock market until it actually works right. This current stock market is not based in reality whatsoever and until it is, it will always have extremely exploitable elements (More so than reality thats for sure)
Michael Tsui
RJ: Reisen
CO: Reisen Udongein Inaba

+ / -

Total Posts: 45
Scott, if you have a vote today, "disable the stock market for now" would go very, very high up the list.
Roald Adriaansen
RJ: Wuvil
CO: Wuvil

+ / -

Total Posts: 146
Walter never used any of that money, the goons emptied the entire B2B market which effects *everyone* and thus they get punished.

Hardly hard to understand.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
About disabling the stock market. It's easy to say, but what about anyone who's got any shares in their hands?

I blame myself mostly for all that's happened, because it's me who released a half-finished game into public beta. Also, fixing the issue isn't as easy as you'd think.
Richard Ripberger
RJ: Rip
CO: Rip

+ / -

Total Posts: 153
Disable it and reset. It can always be brought back some day like chat (hopefully) but it would allow a better look at the more important game mechanics without the stock market capital infusion throwing things out of whack.

I don't think you could turn it off on the running game but it would be easy on a restart, just set it to require a $100B company to IPO. Once you are running the new server we could run a test game with stock on this one (with another fresh DB) and see how it works before implementing it in the running primary game.

Without the stock problems all the other issues are small and manageable.
Victoria Raverna

+ / -

Disable stock market when you do the reset and everyone start fresh in the new server. Leave the stock market in this server while you modify it and then unban the goons and all exploiters so that they can try to exploit and you can plug the holes.

Then once the new stock market is ready and goon-proof, you enable it on the new server.
Ham K
RJ: SoftThenRough
CO: Spartacus

+ / -

Total Posts: 41
Just looking at the stock market right now, I wasnt aware just HOW messed up it was, I mean wow its bad. It doesnt matter if people have a hand in the market, just pay out the stock market for legitimate companies and shut it down, its out of hand and insane right now
Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next

This thread has been archived and is closed to new comments.