Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » Can I Have Loads Of Free Research, Too?

Can I Have Loads Of Free Research, Too?

Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next
Moe Jack
RJ: Moejack
CO: Moe Jack

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 128
Scott, maybe average quality only among the businesses active in that sector. I am not sure how you averaged, but if a company that never started researching beverage tech is included, then it will be really low. Maybe set a floor of Q3 or something and average from there.
Innocent Bystander
RJ: Matthew Matician

+ / -

Total Posts: 76
I like Moe Jack's idea for calculating average quality.
Harold Holt
RJ: Harold Holt

+ / -

Total Posts: 28
The capitalism plus techs weren't random, some of the AI just loved long term research. If you turned on the option to look at their firms you would notice they often had multiple 11 year research cycles. The idea was they would sit on the bulk of their capital researching a few products in an area and takeover the market once the research was finished.

But anyway, to get back on topic, can I have the technology for 30 Quality throughout the apparel sector? My orange bow ties are bizarrely being dismissed as inferior on the market.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
No Harold, what I was referring to is: "Company X just joined the competition" - an entirely new company with all the research you had.

I'm a little stuck on implementing the UI though... maybe an additional screen when you click on the product in the R&D. Maybe some useful notifications on the list screen and checkboxes... guess it's more complicated than I thought it'd be. I'll put it off till the weekend.
Harold Holt
RJ: Harold Holt

+ / -

Total Posts: 28
If it was an average of companies with prior existing research in the field, the average would quickly drop as everyone chose the cheaper option to start off.
Victoria Raverna
RJ: Victoria Raverna
CO: Victoria Raverna

+ / -

Total Posts: 107
Is this going to make most players only keep minimum sized research center if the cost is relatively cheap? Instead of doing the research to be ahead of the others, most will probably choose to stay 50% of the average?

If it is too cheap, it'll discourage investing in research and hurt those spend large percentage of their revenue in research. If it is too expensive, people don't use it.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

If it is too cheap, it'll discourage investing in research and hurt those spend large percentage of their revenue in research. If it is too expensive, people don't use it.

I like how you put it.
Victoria Raverna
RJ: Victoria Raverna
CO: Victoria Raverna

+ / -

Total Posts: 107
I have an idea to do something like this but also promote interaction between players. So how about instead of people paying the "bank" to speed research, the game allow people to license/sell techonology between each other. So maybe if you want to produce higher quality car, you can pay someone that have that quality level for license to produce it. This will make it possible to have a research company, a company that specialized in researching and licensing technology to others.

Maybe to make it more complicated :), you make it so that when you license a tech from other, you can produce it and have to pay extra cost per unit to the other company, but at the same time, it'll allow you to catch up faster with your own research since you can learn while producing those licensed quality products.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Maybe to make it more complicated :), you make it so that when you license a tech from other, you can produce it and have to pay extra cost per unit to the other company, but at the same time, it'll allow you to catch up faster with your own research since you can learn while producing those licensed quality products.

I'm sure it's possible, but it would be too much work (for me). Again, I didn't realize the complexity of this thing (especially in terms of its effect on networth related abuse-ability) until after I started working on it. So it'll be a while.

Moe Jack:
maybe average quality only among the businesses active in that sector.

Thanks! That works.
Tony Wooster
RJ: Johnny Appleseed

+ / -

Total Posts: 41
How about we just allow for economies of (research) scale -- researching through five points at a time or somesuch -- and/or just make it cheaper to research in well-researched fields (average with a Q3 trim)? Or maybe just that queue system. :D

I don't think insta-upgrade is necessary. Just making it easier to go from zero to semi-competitive would be enough.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Ah... Thanks Johnny, you solved my problem!

Just use the world average to make researches cheaper - and that automatically takes care of the issue.
Guy Hungerford
RJ: Lucidia Less

+ / -

Total Posts: 3
I realise you already have an answer you like now, but just a thought: you could give a discount on researching any level that is held by X number of other companies, 1/2 a percentage point per company up to a maximum of 50%. So if 100 (or 1000) other companies already have researched plastic level 10, then that's 50% off the time and cost; if 20 companies already have then it's 10% off. That gives you a catch-up factor without having to calculate averages or "averages of sectors" or weird things like that.
Mike Anon
RJ: John D. Stoneknocker
CO: John D Stoneknocker

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
So does this mean I should not bother expanding R+D facilities at the moment?
Adam Snider
RJ: Adam Snider
CO: Sad Adder

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
Djuara Kurniawan's idea is actually pretty awesome. I realize that it is too complicated to implement (for now?), but I would love to see that idea eventually implemented.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
My orange bow ties are bizarrely being dismissed as inferior on the market.

Is that maybe because they are...orange? :D

I like the ideas around pegging quicker research to some lower levels, or industry averages. I agree with the thought that too much could definitely be a rain cloud on those that truly invest deeply into cutting edge research.
Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.