I'm done

Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 341
@Victoria : this is definitely a brilliant idea.
Michael Tsui
RJ: Reisen
CO: Reisen Udongein Inaba

+ / -

Total Posts: 45
But this would necessitate virtual stores for not over-the-counter items.
Bob Malone

+ / -

In fact it would just mean disable B2B market during "tick"
Nwabudike Morgan
RJ: CEO Nwabudike Morgan
CO: CEO Nwabudike Morgan

Post Rating: 13
+ / -

Total Posts: 108
Sorry Moe, you're probably right regarding my incompetency on the store design, and I had to make the choice given the design limitations.

If you have a better way please do suggest it, but until then this complaint is as good as saying we need to solve the budget problem, not raise taxes, AND not cut spending.

You're telling us that our suggestions of how to fix your game without breaking its mechanics didn't exist? Ludicrous.

By the way, what is the point of automatic quality mixing when you have a fixed number of store slots? Wasn't the whole point of quality mixing to reduce the number of used store slots?
Bob Malone

+ / -

I would go for :

- up to 16 shelves per type of store ( shelves settings for one store are applied on all same type store )
- 2 ticks per hour instead of 4
- B2B / Store market merged, and B2B store closed when tick update on-going

Would you consider it as an acceptable tradeoff ?

( merging quality is maybe not more usefull regarding computing time but still usefull for database size )
gabi gabi
RJ: Gabi

Post Rating: 4
+ / -

Total Posts: 4
Well with 8 shelves i'll just focus on making 8 products or so, focusing all my factories and research on them and ignoring the rest. Time to choose 8 products.

B2B? It will be useless, i'm more than able to make only 8 products. Why should i buy something on the B2B? Why should also i sell something on it? Either i sell it on stores or, if it something i don't place on shelves... uh i don't even produce it anyway.

As for being self-sufficient, i also think that specializing on something and relying on the B2B for raw materials/selling the final product should be more efficient better than just being self sufficient

@Victoria that's a good idea
Nathan Dilday
RJ: ndkid
CO: ndkid

+ / -

Total Posts: 47
I'm coming to this conversation late, but I, too, would be greatly in favor of combining all of the land into a single pile, so that there wouldn't be a financial disincentive to focus on just retail or just manufacturing.
Eddie Beahre
RJ: Eddie Beahre
CO: Max

Post Rating: 8
+ / -

Total Posts: 12
I am for whatever keeps the game running. Lets not anger the gods that created this world instead lets focus on exploiting its fruits. If there is one thing humans are good at is adapting to become efficient.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 7
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
and the boom/bust cycle kicks in,
For a game that was supposed to simulate free market forces, there is a lot of forced impact being planned. It seems to me we have had enough boom/bust cycles with just the player activities, which was supposed to be the idea.

I like the combined land plot.

I dislike the B2B/Store combination. If you must kill the B2B, then let players ship goods directly to one another on a wholesale basis. The idea of shopping at the store of someone else because you are being undercut is a stretch, first off. But would eventually lead to everyone having the same price. This, of course feeds, into the idea of everyone having the same eight, highest-margin products to keep up with the Joneses. Again, a flat, grey, lifeless world.

Any way you look at it, eight store slots is a dismal failure. Planning on 10k players is hoping for a lot. Not just drinking the koolaid, but bathing in it. The more you water down the game, the less you should plan on players, since they are already dropping like flies over the mere idea.

It seems the idea of dividing the selling power based on the number of products one carries is bass-ackwards. If you have one product, less people will come to your store. Only shoppers who want only one product. Side selling and up selling are key to any retail environment. You can't go through a fast-food drive up without playing 20 questions, and it is all to up sell. You have to have multiple products to maximize a store's potential, not less. Ask any marketing dept in the retail world.

I appreciate the problems with throughput and etc.. I am not a programmer, but I get it. Never-the-less, there is no use going through any of this if you are just going to create a board game that can be found anywhere else on the web, or on a toy store shelf.

While I am thinking about it, It never made sense to me that a Farmer's Market carried things like ground beef and cocoa butter. Anything processed should stay in a super market or on the wholesale side. I have never seen a silk necktie in a sporting goods store. I don't buy my Lazy-Boy in the same store that I buy my air conditioner or dishwasher (yes, I have been to Sears and I know they happen). I have never seen "retail" stores for raw steel and titanium bars. Perhaps refining what these stores are doing would better serve you in focusing your energies, as well as cut down on the shelving issues. I would bet you could cut 30% from the store facings right there. Granted, one or two would be expanded, but that is a more easily solvable bite to take. Perhaps getting rid of the hats would also help the apparal industry. Has anyone here ever made them?

Certain items should probably be B2B only. Metals, threads, leather, raw milk (milk sold in glasses only in a grocery store, really?), chemicals and its derivatives. Ready to consume goods should be in consumer stores. Everything else should be B2B only, raw resources and first tier, semi-finished materials. Of course, you can keep all the finished goods there as well, though I agree that the general changes you are making will kill the need for that.

Finally, the idea of justifying the changes with people wanting to play a solo or social game is thin, at best. The core idea is an interactive market game. I don't spend a lot of time socializing here. Without a chat room it is difficult at best, anyway. But the draw is the way the markets are interactive at every level. If I didn't want even that in my game experience, I would buy some boxed software and that would be the end of it. Justifying what you are doing is a great way to paint yourself into a corner without realizing you have a brush in your hand. I have come to respect you better than to allow that.
Jim Eikner
RJ: Jim Eikner

+ / -

Total Posts: 23
I can currently manufacture 35 different products but will only sell the one with the best margin. I will re-evaluate daily before I make my next 24 hour production run. To sabotage the sales of that best item with other, lower margin products seems counter-productive. And yes, I'm self sufficient but will continue to expand my products and store types once I get a handle on the new system...
David Donlon
RJ: Fenious Buttersmith

+ / -

Total Posts: 79
Can't one still manufacture more than 8 items if one wants, and then sell whatever is getting the best return each day? Since nothing ever goes bad, you don't lose your investment if you build something and wait to sell it.
Moe Jack
RJ: Moejack
CO: Moe Jack

+ / -

Total Posts: 128
"Sorry Moe, you're probably right regarding my incompetency on the store design, and I had to make the choice given the design limitations."

Hey! That wasn't me!
Michael Tsui
RJ: Reisen
CO: Reisen Udongein Inaba

Post Rating: 19
+ / -

Total Posts: 45
Hear him, Scott. Goode did hit the nail on its head.
Bob Malone

+ / -

"Hey! That wasn't me!"

You are the collateral damage of this thread.
Nathan Dilday
RJ: ndkid
CO: ndkid

+ / -

Total Posts: 47
From a more technical perspective, if the problem right now is scalability of the tick-calculations, there might be other ways to deal with it in the short term. Could denormalization of some of the values speed up processing? Where are the bottlenecks in the current script processing: on the db, or in the web app?

If products weren't sold at multiple stores, but instead there was a one:many relationship between stores and products, there wouldn't be as much need for each store to process at the same point in the tick, just so long as each store was processed within the same 15 minute window.

Yet another choice would be to see if any more of the script logic could be pushed off to a sproc to handle, and whether that improves efficiency.

These are just guessed based on how I suspect the code is structured, but I hope they've been illustrative of methods other than just setting each type of store at a 8-item limit (and, further, setting it up in such a way that for any given tick, selling more than one item will lower profit compared to selling the one correct item) that might help maintain performance over a larger user base.

If push comes to shove, I, for one, would be happy to submit some real-life money for better hardware.
Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.