Ratjoy.com » Forums » EoS General Discussion » Math of Supermarkets v2.0

Math of Supermarkets v2.0

Previous [1] 2 Next
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

Post Rating: 53
+ / -

Total Posts: 266
Well, supermarkets have come a long way since my previous post. Luckily, so has my spreadsheet. Some updated figures:

If you want to produce everything in-house, you need 20 factories. The amount of each factory you will need depends on where you choose to make certain products. My choice almost invariably goes with the smaller factory, unless there is a distinct monetary advantage (sorry Scott, no matter what you say, vineyard grapes are a lose-lose; factory cost and production cost are both lower in the fruit plantation). With that in mind, to produce one wholesale dollar of each supermarket good, per second, you will need:

51m^2 paper factory
62.4m^2 petrochemical plant
68.2m^2 logging camp
92m^2 hot food factory
129.09m^2 smelter
276.67m^2 vineyard
298.92m^2 power plant
321.75m^2 mine
366.65m^2 slaughterhouse
493.67m^2 smokehouse
581.64m^2 well
802.6m^2 dairy processing
1036.19m^2 livestock farm
1448m^2 ice cream factory
1628.99m^2 confectionery
2476.51m^2 fruit plantation
2974.43m^2 food processing
3141.8m^2 bakery
3536.9m^2 beverage factory
3594.64m^2 plantation

The beverage factory in particular has increased because I'm factoring in water filtering. My spreadsheet has "water" and "filtered water" as two separate entries, and when a product calls for water, I specify filtered water unless it contributes 0% to quality. (In practice I'll often use unfiltered water when it only contributes 5 or 10%; your mileage may vary.)

That's some spread huh? Three of the factories produce one product only - paper cartons in the paper factory, roast beef in the hot food factory, and electricity in the power plant. Two more produce two - charcoal and lumber in the logging camp, aluminum and glass bottles in the smelter. At the other end of the scale, 36 items are produced in the beverage factory.

Some single products take up particularly large amounts of factory space. Far and away the largest is milk, using up 690.3m^2 all on its own, or more than the six smallest factories put together! Second is wheat (506 m^2), closely followed by flour (497 m^2). Since different factories cost different amounts, however, none of these is even in the top five in terms of factory space cost. Here the two highest are filtered water ($9.3 million) and sugar ($9.2 million), with cooking oil a distant third at $6.7 million. An oddity at #7 is of all things artificial vanilla extract, taking up 180 m^2 of food processing space at a cost of $3.6 million!

Oh yeah, and the input costs to produce one wholesale dollar of each of our 155 supermarket products? $102.14. That's an average cost of 65.9 cents on the dollar; this is a substantial jump from my v1 average cost of 57.65 cents, and most of it is the cost of filtering water. In fact, filtering the water costs $18.22 all by itself, so if I used well water for everything my costs would be 54.1 cents on the dollar. Is filtering worth it? Well, can you raise your prices by over 11.8 cents to cover it?
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 52
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
After seeing your impressive numbers, I decided to confuse the others even more by throwing out the sales equation.

List of variables:
$price - Your product's listing price (in cents)
$quality - Your product's quality
$store_size - Your store size
$price_avg - World average price for this product (in cents)
$quality_avg - World average quality for this product
$price_base - This product's Wholesale Value as listed in the Pedia pages (in cents)
$selltime - A custom variable I can adjust to balance sales between very small and very large products, as of now it is at $price_base ^ 0.65 / 20, can also be changed manually for each product.
$category_price_multiplier - A category variable I can use to affect all products in a category (world events)

$n_sold - Number sold per tick. Partially sold units (< 1) will be carried over to the next tick(s).

Currently used equation:
$n_sold = $price_eq * $store_prod_eq
$price_eq = ( max(0.3, (1 + 0.02 * ($quality - $quality_avg)) ) / $price )^2
$store_prod_eq = ( (0.3 * $price_avg + 2 * $price_base) * $category_price_multiplier )^2 * $store_size / $selltime;

Next week's planned addition:
$n_sold = $price_eq * $store_prod_eq * demand_eq
$demand_eq = (3/(1 + 2*$demand_met))^2

demand_met is a decimal number calculated by supply/demand.
Demand Met % as shown in Pedia is equal to demand_met * 100%
Chad the Launderer
RJ: Synreal
CO: Synreal

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 148
So basically I won't sell any jewelry for months. Wonderful.
Garry Hurst
RJ: jackosbournelookalike
CO: jackosbournelookalike

+ / -

Total Posts: 151
o_O ?!? O_o ;)
Mister Death

+ / -

So, make toys, or handbags or something.
zxektok megatron
RJ: zxektok

+ / -

Total Posts: 140
bagsie rubiks cubes - i love em

anyway - i would love to see your sheet to see where i could make "shortcuts"

for example - what building makes the salt from halite
does food processor do alot of the confectionary things like coca butter and powder?
are you using bakery to make flour or processor?

curious - fancy sending me it for a nosey :)
Mister Death

+ / -

I use the cheaper factory (by m^2 price) for almost everything. So all my chocolate products are made in the confectionery. Sugar I make in food processing, not the beverage factory, just because I am making 42 products in the beverage factory and only about 20 in food processing. I make flour, batter and sandwiches in the bakery, and ham in the smokehouse.

The only exception to the m^2 rule is in fact salt! My mine is in a separate company and I'd have to build a whole R&D building just to research salt if I made it on that side, so I make it in my food processing plant. I might change this later.
Billy Vierra
RJ: Saffrian
CO: Billy Vierra

+ / -

Total Posts: 84
Mister Death,
Thanks for giving out the math however I am having nothing but trouble trying to figure it out for my spreadsheet. I am guessing the issue with with the category price modifier... is the current one listed anywhere?
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Currently all at 1.2
Billy Vierra

+ / -

Thanks Scott! For some reason I cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong.

It seems like the formula is pretty close to perfect for oranges, however its not even close (says I should sell ~ 1/5th what I actually did) for gas. The selltime variable is what seems to make the most difference from what I can see, is it possible that its different from what is shown? Also is there a way to get the current variables?
Dariush Legion
RJ: Dariush
CO:

+ / -

Total Posts: 13
I just ran the formulae through Wolfram Alpha. Apparently for basketballs my $price_eq is something * 10^-10 while my $store_prod_eq is something * 10^10. That's ridiculously precise. o_0
Billy Vierra

+ / -

Anyone have an idea why the formula is so far off for Gas?
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Anyone have an idea why the formula is so far off for Gas?
I intentionally doubled the base value for gas about a week ago to give people a reason to build gas stations. No other reason besides that.
Billy Vierra

+ / -

ok, I am not crazy then :)

I am still off by about 12% now so I would like to make sure that I understand what you did :). $category_price_multiplier went from 1.2 to 2.4, correct?

Scott (Admin)

+ / -

No change in category price, but

Gasoline:
Base value: 1000 ($10)
Selltime: 1.0 (instead of 4.46 for anything else at 1000 value)
Billy Vierra

+ / -

Ahh perfect, now it shows correctly for me. Also when the changes are made to things such as sell time, are they posted anywhere?
Previous [1] 2 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.