Shelves

Previous [1] 2 Next
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
The bulletin said to start paring down goods you don't want to sell, as there will now be 8 shelves per store.
OK.
Is a shelf only one item, then? I put dozens of items on my real life shelves, so I need this stated clearly for my medicated mind to wrap around.

Will this lead to a piling on of only the few most profitable items, or a diversification of goods per store inside a single company? Only time will tell.
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

+ / -

Total Posts: 214
From the sounds of it it will only be one item per slot. And hes changed how they sell. If you have one item, it puts 100% of store sales power into it. 2 items= 50/50. So you're gimping yourself if you don't just stock the highest margin/highest quality item only.
Gamma Alpha
RJ: Gammatron
CO: Gammatron

Post Rating: 5
+ / -

Total Posts: 104
I've gut further concerns.

I can't say I understand fully this decision. I'm in the process of expanding my stores at the moment, they'll be operating again when this new rule is already in work. Should I get rid of all but 8 favourite/most profitable goods now?

Who decides what's gonna be on the shelves?

Finally, what's the reason behind it? Further specialization of retail sellers/producers? I was gladly buying all I could on the B2B market and reselling it with profit. Why narrowing down the number of working shelves, when there are 30+ of them in certain stores?
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
There is lack of details in the news... What about sale power if we are using only 4 or 1 shelve ?
What about B2B Market impact ( if someone cares about it ) ?
Andrew Naples

+ / -

This is a re-paste from the last update thread on the B2b that's relevant:

I've already noticed a change in the raw materials market since the quality merge. Usually people throw up their lesser quality ingredients as they research but that source is gone now. Stuff's still there but in lesser quantity, still usable though.But whats really concerning is that I really don't see how this store change won't kill the b2b market for any kind of finished good.

So I'm a fledgling electronics/appliance power. (was about to make an ad on company forum as my huge factories are almost built). I have 20+ research on almost everything the electronics store sells. I was planning on selling these products on B2b as well because I noticed few people sell electronics/appliances on there. Filling a niche.

My customer base will be cut by 90+ percent for two reasons:
1. If a person has an electronics store and has factories for it. This person instead of buying extra stuff on b2b to fill in gaps now only needs one product to get full sale power. In fact, it is in their best interest to do that with one high quality high margin item. (as is now my best interest)

2. A person has an electronics store without any of the factories. Instead of buying a full complement of my merchandise. They will only buy one item to get full benefit.

I guess I just don't understand why this is all being changed in the first place. This change greatly shrinks a huge draw of the game, making lots of cool items to sell to player and stocking stores. I'd be actively harming myself by not just researching the hell out of the highest margin item and only using the store power for that. And frankly that's a lot less fun then trying to supply as much of my electronics store as possible. This isn't even going into the satisfaction of selling stuff to fellow players on B2b. I've been trying to visualize how this change improves the game but I'm just not seeing it.
Space Butler
RJ: Space Butler
CO: Space Butler

+ / -

Total Posts: 19
I worry about the effect this will have on finished goods B2B as well.
John Galt
RJ: John Galt
CO: John Galt

Post Rating: 21
+ / -

Total Posts: 23
It's not just finished goods you should be worried about. Even raw materials are going to suffer on the B2B.

With more limited shelf space, store owners are going to start having to ask themselves what to give priority. And I think when push comes to shove, most people are going to choose to give priority to items that they can produce themselves. Items that require B2B materials are harder to produce (and less reliable, since prices can be volatile). In the current game, that's offset by the fact that stocking your store fully gives you an incentive. Without that incentive, though, why bother sourcing materials?

To give an example, I run a toy store. It can only stock 9 distinct items, so oddly enough, the 8-shelf limit isn't really doing much to me. But it's already having an effect on B2B. Of the 9 items (all of which I currently stock), only one requires a material I can't create -- stuffed animals require cotton, and I do not have the infrastructure in place to create it. So, I B2B it.

Or, that is, I used to B2B it. As of the announcement, I'm using all my cotton stores to create stuffed animals, which I am selling at discount prices. Once those are all sold, I will be out of the stuffed animal business (and thus, out of the business of buying cotton B2B).

This isn't even the most extreme example. Frankly, there are probably dozens of products that currently only get created via B2B purchases (because of one or two required materials that are very inefficient to get into creating unless you do it in volume or you use the infrastructure to also create other unrelated items).

Integrated circuits is another great example in toy stores -- only 2 of the 9 items in a toy store require integrated circuits. The manufacturing chain to create ICs involves 4 extra factories that otherwise have no use in toy manufacturing. Personally, I am set up for it, despite it not being that efficient, because I wanted the challenge and sometimes prices in B2B are volatile. But I have a hard time believing most toy store owners have done this.

With the change that's been announced, it seems like the savvy toy store owner wouldn't even bother with B2B, let alone building their own manufacturing chain. Why even try to create the 2 items that require ICs? You can make the remaining 6 items with nothing but a Well, a Petrochemical Plant, and a Toy Factory.

And, in fact, it reduces even further. Of the 6 remaining toy store items not ruled out by requiring cotton and requiring ICs, 3 of them require a petrochemical product that is unique to them (amongst the remaining toy store items, that is). Balloons require rubber. Dolls require polyester thread. Rubber ducks require vinyl. In contrast, Action Figures, Rubik's Cubes, and Water Guns require only Plastic and Electricity. So, why not just forego anything but 3 items requiring the exact same 2 components?

The more I think about this change, the more I'm dreading it.
Bob Malone

+ / -

If we analyse it, issue is that we will be able to produce what we are selling, meaning that we don't need anyone, we are playing alone vs market.
One way to solve it is to have incompatible shelves between them production-wise.
I explain :
Lets take a toy store as example. If you have the constraints, with the 8 shelves, to have :

- 2 shelves of electronic toy
- 2 shelves of wood toy
- 2 shelves of plastic toy
- 2 shelves of coton toys

It would be very hard to produce yourself the plastic, the wood, the electronic components so you would have to focus one or 2 kind of items, meaning that you would need other players production to optimize your sales.

We can imagine equivalent split on all the stores in 4 or more categories... ( for store that sell few different items, we can imagine to have 1 shelve = 1 product with no possibility to have same item in different shelves ).

Another example : Supermarket could be splitted in beverage/meat/fruits/others food for example... You would need to have 2 shelves of beverage, 2 shelves of meat, 2 shelves of fruit and 2 shelves of others food.

At the end, we would have, compared to today store :

- B2B market still alive (maybe less than today though )
- less micromanagement
- less computing need
- the possibility to specialize
Drew Davies
RJ: Vargo Hoat
CO: Vargo Hoat

+ / -

Total Posts: 16
so glad i spent so much time and money broadening my product lines since specializing didn't make as much money (in the food market). well, back to the plantation!
Michael Tsui
RJ: Reisen
CO: Reisen Udongein Inaba

+ / -

Total Posts: 45
Would prefer that selling of an complimentary category in the same store boost sale of other goods.
So, take an example, if you only sell hot food in a food court, its okay. If you sell some beverages, both sell better. If you sell All 5 categories, everything sells much better, but you lost the advantage of specializing and have to rely on B2B.

That way, everyone is forced to specialize, yet diversify and B2B at the same time.

Toy stores might be screwed btw...
J Atkinson
RJ: Tom Cook

+ / -

Total Posts: 36
I have NO idea what to buy.... build.... or sell anymore?!?!?! I'll just wait.... log-out and come back in AFTER the changes.... then RE-LEARN the game all over again.
If its not relatively the same..... then decide to stay or quit.
Simple, (I guess).... what a pity.... I was enjoying this game too.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Yeah, as I see it, all of these concerns are valid. It will also send the game into the realm of Kapilands, where everyone makes the same, single best selling item. That got so stagnant so fast that people started dropping like flies.

This seems like tinkering for the sake of tinkering. And that is seldom a good thing. It is also counter to the idea of having a "realistic" economic simulation. And yes, I know that I am the one pointing out that things will never bet truly real in a game. But this is so constraining that it will turn the whole milieu into the flat, boxed in feel of a board game.

I also don't think the emptiness of a product category will be enough to drive the breadth of the game's product lines. And even if it does, it cheats the future new players of an opportunity to break into the better products, as the older players will have cornered markets with hi-Q goods at prices of scale that a newbie can't begin to touch. Again, creating a flat world too reminiscent of a Kapilands.

Sometimes it is better to scrap the idea on the drawing board than force it into existence. Can you say New Coke.?
Bob Malone

Post Rating: 4
+ / -

Sometimes it is better to scrap the idea on the drawing board than force it into existence.

I am sure that it can be read, agreed and applied by our beloved dictator :)
J Atkinson

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Personally, I would up-date other things and leave well-enough alone. Maybe it will be a good change... but if its not... players who endured this game, figured it out (finally), and enjoyed it will unfortunately drop off and go elsewhere.
Ive played a number of games over the 15+ years on the net and this one caught my attention.
I played TYCOON-ON-LINE for ages but it got quite boring in the end... this one is as close to REAL LIFE as a BUSINESS game can be.... at one stage, I, too, thought there were too many lines to keep up, but after a few days I found myself LIVING here and enjoying every sale! Hahaha! Good luck, RJ.... I hope your doing the right thing.... I really really do!
Andrew Naples

+ / -

The thing is these changes usually have pros and cons (like the store % rebalanceing) but I'm honestly trying to figure out how this is in any way a good move.
J Atkinson

Post Rating: -47
+ / -

Post hidden due to its low rating (click here to show post)
Previous [1] 2 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.