Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Ratjoy.com General Discussion » What did that last \'fix\' do exactly?

What did that last \'fix\' do exactly?

Previous 1 2 [3] Next
Dan Laurence
RJ: Sourpuss
CO: Sourpuss

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 49
FWIW, here's the response I got from Scott:

Used to be selltime = value^0.65/20, I changed it to selltime = value^0.75/x or value^0.80/x.

I forgot what x is, but value is in cents, and anything at $1 is not affected, anything less sells faster, anything more sells slower.

I was just expecting the tipping point to be higher, but food products and other crappy small items need/needed some love.
David Archer
RJ: BallC
CO: BallC

+ / -

Total Posts: 142
Wow, so basically anything besides fruit/crops and golf balls got nerfed?

I was not expecting "higher end products" to mean anything over $1 base value. That's like 90%+ of all retail products.
martin uzz
RJ: Martinuzz
CO: martinuzz

+ / -

Total Posts: 59
The change seems to have benefited my farmer's market. I'm selling stuff a lot faster than a few days ago. But perhaps that's because of normal market development, not due to the change.

I must say, I'm a bit baffled by people posting that they bought 6000m^2 retail space. How on earth can they afford that? I just barely managed to get my company value to 900k, and my farmer's market to 130 m^2. It kinda makes me want to give up playing before the game has even really started. Perhaps its an idea to reset everyone, cause huge differences at this early stage of the game, caused by bugs, exploits, and server tweaks makes the whole competition game a bit moot. Server's only been running for less than a forthnight, and already there's players so much on top, that new players / players who were less fortunate / insightful will never be able to catch up / compete with them.

EDIT: I think my main frustration is something like this: Player A sets out to be a fruit producer, determined to start researching fruit quality right away, to make name as a quality fruit producer. He spends most cash on research labs, fruit fields and a farmers market.
Player B buys 10 boats on the import market, doesn't research anything at all, and a few days later buys a 1000m^2 research lab from the profits made off selling the boats. He then starts researching fruits, and catches up with the hard-working fruit producer's quality in half a day. So it seems the morale here is "If you want to have quality fruits, sell boats". Yes, that makes sense. Uh-huh. It just doesn't feel right.
Perhaps some mechanic could be devised, that rewards specialization, or disadvantages generalization. Example: For every research lab of a specific type built, the research times for items in that lab are reduced, and/or: for every different type of research lab built, research times are penalized. Perhaps, even implement this on a per-product basis. There should be some incentive to specialize, in whatever you feel like.
David Archer

+ / -

@Martin: We already had one reset. There was no exploit. Just using the game mechanics as they were at the time -- then people complain on the forums and we get an "emergency fix". Farmer's Markets are low-profit and with the increased maintenance fees and salaries, you have a large portion of your cost per unit hidden from you on the game interface. Look at the top players list and notice that NONE of them went into agriculture (even though the old game tutorial gives you a plantation to start, your real best bet is to sell it and get into a market that actually is profitable).
martin uzz

+ / -

Yeah, I guess that's where my main issue lies, with the current mechanics. See the EDIT I just made to the previous post after you posted the reply.
David Archer

+ / -

@Martin: Yeh, I posted a suggestion about company archetypes that would help reward companies for specializing in one industry but since you can run multiple companies, it doesn't really address your concern. Maybe the same thing could apply to player archetypes like they were in Cap2. The NPC's you could hire had different skill levels for different types of businesses (mining, retail, factories, etc).
martin uzz

+ / -

That's not a bad idea. IIRC, switching to a different product (b it on sales, research or whatever part of the process) would reset, or at least decrease the experience gained by the module's crew, right?

I'm having a buzzingly blissful brainstorm fit atm, and will make a suggestion post on this topic once I piece it together.
Previous 1 2 [3] Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.