Jokers

Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
I'd love to give those players a reason with the exact times and causes, but too bad they wasted too much of my time so I'm no longer able to do that.

Essentially here's what I did today since I got up:
Wipe out those 5000+ accounts created by bots, player and company
Track down market purchases/sales on private companies, punish all offenders
Track down market purchase/sales on sold companies, punish all offenders
Track down market purchases/sales on public companies, punish all offenders, pull out stock market activity and compare stock transaction time with market transaction time, punish the previous owners if they ran away.
Put major offenders into jail (generally transaction amount > $100 mil)

Once again, my goal is to make this game great for the enjoyment of great players, quality presides over quantity.
david wile
RJ: Noxiousdog
CO: Noxiousdog

+ / -

Total Posts: 25
Scott, sorry you had to deal with all that. Thanks for youur time and effort.
Scott (Admin)

Post Rating: 29
+ / -

No problem, just adding more weapons (shortcuts) to my SQL arsenal.

I think we need to change the slogan to: "A new adventure every night."
address unknown
RJ: DropsySufferer

Post Rating: 3
+ / -

Total Posts: 32
There are no stated rules for B2B and the stock market until rules are created then this sort of thing is going to keep happening from time to time.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse?

First there must be laws.
Ham Bunny
RJ: Hambunny

+ / -

Total Posts: 12
The admin expect people to be prudent, not running around scamming others.
Control Volume
RJ: ControlVolume
CO: Control Volume

Post Rating: -2
+ / -

Total Posts: 43
"The admin expect people to be prudent, not running around scamming others."

Human nature has not deviated from being opportunistic and selfish since recorded history. Expecting people to be prudent when presented from an easily abusable system is naive at best, negligent at worst.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

First there must be laws.

Let's be honest: most people don't read the rules - otherwise I wouldn't have people asking me questions every week (such as: "Is it ok to have multiple accounts?") when the answers are already around in "Forum Rules" and in "Questions and Answers".

I'll just repeat the simple and honest rules:
1. Play fair - interpreted however I'd like to interpret it, but generally just the golden rule
2. Common sense - based on the tyranny of the majority

If in doubt, think about your actions from other players' perspectives.

"The admin expect people to be prudent, not running around scamming others."

Can be corrected as:

"The admin practically expects most people to be lazy, not running around scamming others." Against the given few not-so-lazy people, the admin always wins.
Nwabudike Morgan
RJ: CEO Nwabudike Morgan
CO: CEO Nwabudike Morgan

+ / -

Total Posts: 108
People view the forums as a separate, unnecessary entity for playing the game. And they're right. Players should not have to view these forums and browse dozens of threads to learn (guess?) what they can and cannot do. A short, codified set of rules visible within the game's navigation would be a valuable asset, whether you believe me or not.
Guy Hungerford
RJ: Lucidia Less

+ / -

Total Posts: 3
As an alternative to closed registration, you could have a semi-open system; anyone can make an account and start playing. But in order to do certain things - take out loans, float yr company, sell goods on the B2B for more than $100, maybe something else? - anyway, in order to do some of the more interesting stuff, you have to get an approval from an existing player with X amount of... fame? Then if that person turns out to be a good citizen, you get some more fame (to encourage actually approving people) and if they turn out to be a joker, you lose a bunch of fame (to encourage careful vetting).
Weicong Sng
RJ: Park Min Young
CO: Psychotic Nutcase

+ / -

Total Posts: 59
How about making it so that loans can't be gotten instantly? Perhaps the applicant have to wait 1-3 working days for it to be processed.

Or perhaps make it so that loans is solely dependent on networth WITHOUT the actual cash in the company's coffers?
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

Post Rating: 36
+ / -

Total Posts: 266
The silly thing is, if people put as much effort into their companies as they put into their schemes and bots, they'd be legitimate billionaires. Take it from somebody who, as of yesterday, is, never having bought nor sold a single share.
Roald Adriaansen
RJ: Wuvil
CO: Wuvil

+ / -

Total Posts: 146
What about email validation required?
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

What about email validation required?

Yup... bots can do those - and obviously they just did.

My all-time favorite captcha that probably works:
http://random.irb.hr/signup.php

Guy Hungerford:
... you have to get an approval from an existing player with X amount of... fame? Then if that person turns out to be a good citizen, you get some more fame (to encourage actually approving people) and if they turn out to be a joker, you lose a bunch of fame (to encourage careful vetting).

I think this is a better idea, or better yet - loans can only be given from players to players.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 3
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
or better yet - loans can only be given from players to players.

I am not wholy sure that will accomplish what you want. It seems it would just start a backdoor loan mafia of players that would loan cash to corrupt friends and start some sort of ponzi scheme. The whole point, I think, is to take the temptation out of their hands in the first place.

I am in agreement with Morgan, without something like stated rules, they will always be trying. I have seen multi-paged documents full of detailed stuff, and rules as simple as "manipulating flaws and unknown bugs is strictly forbidden." I prefer the latter, as I don't read the long documents. but I always scan the short simple stuff and get a good idea of what I can expect if I wanted to cheat.

The one thing you can never do is give in to the idiotic notion that "people are rotten to the core, so don't bother." I spent my first years out of college working a 24/7 residential treatment facility (B-mod) for "troubled youth." No matter what you think, you get what you expect from people. If you expect the best, and say so, you will get it more often than not. If you expect the worst, well... I think there are those here that wish to continue the chaos and negativity they have created and will keep verbalizing the negative in order to preserve the anarchy.
Victoria Raverna
RJ: Victoria Raverna
CO: Victoria Raverna

+ / -

Total Posts: 107
I think the goal is to slow down the process so that people can't cheat and ruin the game in one or two days.

If you add some mechanic in the game to slow down the process like for example limit the amount of loan that is available to players as one pool that are adjusted as the economy of the game world grow and also based on lowest NW of last 7 days of the company that want to borrow money.

Also limit the amount of shares you can sell in one day, maybe by limiting the fund of public non player investors so that when you IPO, you don't get the money instantly until investors actually buy the IPO shares. And if you sell your shares, you only can sell whatever the public investors can absorb.

If it'll take over 7 days for the cheaters to cheat the system with every step of the process, then it'll not be damaging and they'll grow tired of it because you can undo whatever they did before they reach the next step.
Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.