Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next
Nathan Dilday
RJ: ndkid
CO: ndkid

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 47
Just a "me, too" post, mostly.

Scott, thanks for acting quickly to clean up the problems. I personally think that, as the user base gets larger, the ability of any given bad actor to greatly move the market will be proportionally reduced.

I do agree that the rules, as few as they may be, probably ought to be included within the framework of the game interface somewhere, rather than assuming that users will find them here, and even conceding that most players will not pay attention to them.

This game will, ultimately, represent what Scott wants it to be. If he wants a small player base that at least nominally works via a recommendation system, I think that will lessen abuse, especially if a player is held at least partially accountable for the performance of those he recommends.

But, given that a small player base has difficulty making the markets efficient given the volume of products, a desire for a larger player base would be reasonable, and working on a recommendation system may not keep a sufficient flow of new players to grow at a useful pace. I don't have a good sense of how often players leave the system, so I don't have a good sense of how many new players are needed (per tick? :-) ) to break even.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Although this is something else, I've finally decided to spare the time to add a ToS for new registrations.

http://www.ratjoy.com/login-register.php
Iam Asham
RJ: Wheezematic

+ / -

Total Posts: 2
So why am I in jail? I haven't paid much attention to the goings-on of the stock market and both my companies are privately owned,so I very much doubt I inadvertently annoyed any investors. Yet I found myself being dragged off by El Presidente's goons. Now, I find the very concept of a "white collar crime" rather silly, but being arrested even before you had a chance to commit one? That's just wrong.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 3
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
I'm sorry, your case is a mistake (the Q999 goods). You'll be released immediately with $5 mil and 1000 influence as apology.
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

+ / -

Total Posts: 167
Another vote against explicitly privatizing registration. Some friction in the signup process (captcha, maybe a tiny "why in 50 words or less do you want to join EoS?" micro-essay requirement) would be a good impediment at least against bot shenanigans but that's ultimately a griefing issue where banning those dinguses when it happens is the only real solution.
Jim Frazer
RJ: Kenneth Noisewater
CO: Kenneth Noisewater

+ / -

Total Posts: 25
I think there are some things that could be put into the game that would lessen the "fraud" without having to be too draconian. Just some random ideas:

Import/export markets are (I believe) your intended way to put floors and ceilings in place. Price floor/ceilings for the B2B based on import/export prices need to be physically enforced instead of conceptually. IE (made up numbers): a 15 quality strawberry imports at 15 and exports at .06. You could safely put floor/ceilings on 15Q B2B strawberry prices at 15/.06 and greatly reduce the impact from those trying to launder money. Floors/ceilings would obviously be adjusted based on quality (a 0 quality strawberry would be 11.5/.04). Could call it FTC enforcement.

Also, would it make sense to make the threshold for IPO be based on company level instead of owner level? Have the limit something like a level 6 company or 2500 m^2 of factory/retail space.

If a public company's net worth is ever below their loan amount (or net worth is $0), have the bankruptcy courts step in and prevent the selling of any factory/retail space until the company is considered "solvent" again. The CEO's assets in the company would also be frozen, preventing them from dumping stock
Matthew Suozzo
RJ: Buckaroo Bonzai

Post Rating: 5
+ / -

Total Posts: 40
The dependent should not be on factory space because not all companies should exist solely for mass-production or mass-sale. 2000m^2 of airplane factory? 200 million. The bar for public offering should remain on company value.

Regarding the price limit scheme, I think this violates the principles of a free market. Speaking for Scott, I think the principles of the free market are more important over preventing fraud. I think price manipulation should remain legal (albeit within limits) and the tools necessary for detecting fraudulent purchases be built. Again, the fundamentals of the game shouldn't be compromised even though it may be a bit more work on the admin's end.
Derp Aderp
RJ: Bertha Van Ation
CO: Fancy McPants

Post Rating: -7
+ / -

Total Posts: 22
To that guy suggesting banning proxies at the apache level: shut up. A lot of people use proxies legitimately - when I check the game from work, I am behind a proxy. That doesn't mean I am making thousands of accounts. Thank you.
Revanchism Mc. K
RJ: Revanchism

Post Rating: -23
+ / -

Total Posts: 11
Post hidden due to its low rating (click here to show post)
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
"I think the principles of the free market are more important over preventing fraud."

"I think price manipulation should remain legal (albeit within limits) and the tools necessary for detecting fraudulent purchases be built"

Hmmm...

There has never been a "free market" in the history of the world. There isn't one now. And there is nothing like a free market in this milieu. There are (bad) import and exports that are not based on anything like a free market, or they wouldn't be so out of whack. Today's precipitous drop in retail prices did not happen because of a "free market."

I wish people would get this utopian fantasy out of their heads. It would make everything a lot easier to deal with. And nothing is more important than maintaining a level playing field for all players, which means controlling fraud. And that means rules and regulations. This is the classic dialectic between unbridled capitalism and pretty much every other aspect of civil society.

I am not trying to start an argument here, or take any individual to task.(Nothing personal to Bonzai, he just happened to say it on this thread, so his quotes got picked) But I see this in so many sites. It is never true, and just never will be.
Blast Hardcheese
RJ: Blast Hardcheese

Post Rating: 5
+ / -

Total Posts: 24
I will ensure market regulations for a fair playing field. For a reasonable amount of money I will ensure that it is fair for you and not the other guy.
Minwoo Hyeong
RJ: Dead Eyes

Post Rating: 3
+ / -

Total Posts: 8
If you're not a naturally hard worker it's hard to understand things like laissez-faire. However, this doesn't mean it's not an important value. If you're not making this world a better place with your blood, sweat, and bootstraps get out of the way or you'll get a face full of 12-gauge Freedom shells.
Revanchism Mc. K
RJ: Revanchism

Post Rating: 2
+ / -

Total Posts: 11
My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray humans. You know why? Because they breed. You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that. And so what you've got to do is you've got to curtail that type of behavior. They don't know any better.
Control Volume
RJ: ControlVolume
CO: Control Volume

Post Rating: 2
+ / -

Total Posts: 43
When you see the effects of what they're doing to the economy, remember these words: We will survive. No -- we'll do better than survive, we will thrive. As long as these people are not in control. They are taking you to a place to be slaughtered!
Z J
RJ: Cosimo de Medici

Post Rating: -17
+ / -

Total Posts: 2
Post hidden due to its low rating (click here to show post)
Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.