Jokers

Previous [1] 2 3 4 Next
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 12
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Another adventure last night with people using bots to create accounts, not sure what makes them think they can walk away with it.

However the person who did it did succeed in wasting my time - so I'd have to clear up the mess instead of writing code to fix the root of the issues. (Do I know the issues exist before this happened? You bet.)

All those 5000 accounts have been deleted, and the market punishments handed out (at least 400% of illegal gains). Other main offenders will be put into jail for up to 5 game years (35 days).

If your company received fines on money laundering, please don't tell me you're just caught in the middle, after all, you are the one who priced those water at $9,999,999 on the market. "Grief-ers" can now be reverse-grief-ed when their products are bought, as only the gaining party is punished.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 3
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
"Other main offenders will be put into jail for up to 5 game years (35 days)."

You are now my god! :-D
If you want, I'll start making the guillotine for repeat offenders! Unless, of course, you just want to opt for longer prison terms for them. You know, being benevolent and all.
David Donlon
RJ: Fenious Buttersmith

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 79
Thanks for doing this. It must have been quite an aggravation.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Another thing is I'm thinking about making registration private - all new registrations would need referrals from existing players who's been around for some time (or with 20+ karma)
Chandler Hill
RJ: Chandler
CO: Chandler

+ / -

Total Posts: 54
Can't you just throw up a captcha?
Ham Bunny
RJ: Hambunny

+ / -

Total Posts: 12
20+ karma might not be a good idea since not all users are very active in forums. Some legitimate existing players might get deleted.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Can't you just throw up a captcha?

Yes, but we all know they are useless.

Some legitimate existing players might get deleted.

The existing ones will be around no matter what. I was thinking about how Gmail's referral worked back in the days.
Art M
RJ: Matrix
CO:

Post Rating: 3
+ / -

Total Posts: 11
I would just make registration / captach more manual, needing to go through more hoops. I think having referral system will slow down growth too much, besides before people have tried the game, they dont know what they missing.

Also, there is whole bunch of problems with stock market raiders who pretty much swing wads of cash, buy out companies, swindle investors and move on to next company.
Micky Bohangles
RJ: Micky
CO: Micky Bohangles

+ / -

Total Posts: 5
As the recently made CEO of Galt Automotive, I am curious to know what the end game is for these companies that engaged in fraud.

Scoring a massive coup by buying one share at $.46, and securing controlling interest, I now have a company with $750,000,000 loans outstanding, some decent product in the warehouse, and some expanding facilities. No doubt it could be turned in to a profitable business without the loan but that's not the case.

Perhaps we could petition for bankruptcy/insolvency with these companies and remove them? Seems they would just clog up the bottom of the stock market otherwise.
Lorenzo Boccaccia
RJ: Mon Opoli
CO: Mon Opoli

Post Rating: 4
+ / -

Total Posts: 80
http://code.google.com/p/3dcaptcha/

This is a bit stronger
Control Volume
RJ: ControlVolume
CO: Control Volume

Post Rating: 2
+ / -

Total Posts: 43
Private registration will murder growth and is extreme overkill to try stopping this. Stronger captcha technology would be the better solution and would, at the very least, decrease bot registration.

Email registration codes are popular too. They work for large sites, they'll work for this one.
Nwabudike Morgan
RJ: CEO Nwabudike Morgan
CO: CEO Nwabudike Morgan

+ / -

Total Posts: 108
Captchas are still a useful deterrent, if you think that they are worth the minor inconvenience to real users. It takes more time and expertise to generate a bot that can deal with a captcha than one that can't. You could also do something like randomize the field names for your login form fairly easily, so that the bot has to interpret the page instead of sending blind requests, though that is even less powerful than a captcha.
address unknown
RJ: DropsySufferer

Post Rating: 7
+ / -

Total Posts: 32
A captcha is better than nothing and I know for a fact it would have stopped the clown with the bots.

Making registration invite only is your choice depending on how many players you want in the game. Note however that that locking registration would kill player growth.

My alternative suggestion is to simply get a moderator/s to help you out.
Billy Vierra
RJ: Saffrian
CO: Billy Vierra

+ / -

Total Posts: 84
I agree, private registration will kill any chance at a new player base. One thing gmail had was the Google name behind it, everyone wanted to get in.

I would recommend doing some sort of captcha and only allow x registrations per game per x hour period. You can also block (a good portion of) proxies by putting this in your .htaccess file:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP:VIA} !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:FORWARDED} !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:USERAGENT_VIA} !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:X_FORWARDED_FOR} !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:PROXY_CONNECTION} !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:XPROXY_CONNECTION} !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_PC_REMOTE_ADDR} !^$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP:HTTP_CLIENT_IP} !^$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ - [F]

If they manage to pass through the register limit as well as the .htaccess I would recommend using: http://www.maxmind.com/app/proxy it will cost $5 for 1000 queries and the 1st 2 options would block a majority of the proxies, this is just an additional check for the ones that would pass through.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 5
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
I am also not in favor of invite only. I would never be playing under those conditions, and neither would a lot of the folks here. Captchas help.

But the biggest thing is to keep firmly placed limits and AI's on the avenues for cheating, and deal with it as aggressively and definitively as you have indicated above. I hate to keep repeating myself, but sites that don't have these problems, don't have them because they find you and ban you. Period.
Cheating ruins the game for everyone.

I think it is great that so many are supporting the effort to get this under control. When I first got here, a couple of weeks ago, it seemed everyone wanted to run amok by choice. I almost didn't stick around to even start the game. I feel much more confident in the future of the enterprise after seeing this thread, and the other "suit" threads that are exposing these Goons. Well done.
Control Volume
RJ: ControlVolume
CO: Control Volume

Post Rating: -6
+ / -

Total Posts: 43
Randomly banning people without any reason given also probably isn't going to help the game.
Previous [1] 2 3 4 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.