RJ Cooperative Group

Previous [1] 2 3 4 Next
Nick Sirock
RJ: Sam Sirock
CO: Nick Sirock

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 51
As I said on the other board, "Its definitely getting more and more deserted on the test server so it would be great if the remaining players attempted to form a bit more of a community rather than us all managing our empires as a single player game." So I was wondering if anyone else is interested in forming some kind of group, so that it isn't like we are only playing with the NPCs. Please post here if you are interested, as well as any ideas about what we could do to make things more cooperative in the test server. For instance I have a huge production chain with high quality items that I would be happy to help supply other players with.
Werner Heisenberg
RJ: The Empire Business
CO:

+ / -

Total Posts: 4
I would like to join a group.
shark laser
RJ: Prince Mubune of Nigeria
CO: Semmi

+ / -

Total Posts: 32
Oh, this already exists in a form. I didn't really make it public though.
I suppose I can integrate what deals I've managed to establish to this group you're proposing.
Tiny Hogwaffle
RJ: Caligula
CO: Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Total Posts: 128
I was thinking something along the lines of: we pick some industry. For example, the auto industry. One player makes the engines, another makes the bodies, another tires and seats, yet another assembles the car, and sells the cars to whoever wants to have the dealerships, or on the B2B. Instead of doing all of it yourself. Doesn't have to be cars; that was just an example.
Andrew Carnegie
RJ: Andrew Carnegie
CO: Andrew Carnegie

+ / -

Total Posts: 94
It seems to me what here is being suggested would be something similar to what I call the real world of global free market capitalism. Not that many large corporations today are 100% vertically integrated. When I joined EOS last year, I immediately checked the B2B market, and could not find many raw or intermediate goods for sale at a reasonable price. I recognize any company, real or fictitious here on EOS, has to make a reasonable profit on the goods it sells.

But it strikes me most players here on EOS want to form vertically integrated companies. Look at the list of all the top players in the game. You'll see most nearly all of them own several companies. And they usually are vertically integrated, where a company they own produces raw goods that then sells to one of their other owned companies that then sells intermediate goods that finally sells to their retail stores, where they often control much of the retail market.

If you check at the products these different companies make, usually you'll find they do not list for sale on the B2B market any raw or intermediate goods--- perhaps they do list for sale final consumer goods. But if they do, these are only listed for sale at such ridiculously high prices no retailer could then turn around and sell them and make a profit.

So I am not sure I see the need for a new organization in EOS. Just suggest to the longer time players they might want to reorganize their companies as they all have more fake EOS money such that they represent here on EOS what ails the real world economy today: the 1/100th of one percent who take home the vast majority of the world's annual income, and more to the point, who control the overwhelming majority of the world's wealth.

Let's see a fictitious stand against the current model of global free market Capitalism right here on EOS. Let the wealthiest players reorganize on a voluntary basis their companies, so they list at reasonable prices high quality raw and intermediate goods.

Then we'll see real competition in the game.

I doubt we'll ever see it in the real world though. At least not until the capital markets go through their terminal phase.
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Of course all the top players are vertically integrated, as you call it. If you need aluminum, why would you pay someone $180 a unit when, after an initial investment in some factories and R&D, you can produce it yourself for a fraction of that price? People are vertically integrated because it is profitable to be so. I'm not sure if it is because they want to be that way.

The problem with producing everything yourself is it can get boring; there's no reason to interact with anyone in the game; it becomes like playing single player, as Nick put it. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he is suggesting cooperation of some kind, not because it would be more profitable, but because it would be more entertaining.
Andrew Carnegie

+ / -

I'm all for your & his suggestion. The place to see such more entertaining cooperation in EOS would be on the B2B marketplace, with ads placed on the ad forums? I think there is a forum for both product request as well as for offerings of products.

As for making profits, as I wrote: I'm all for it, both in EOS, as well as in real world. But just as Teddy Roosevelt used the Sherman Anti-Trust Act to bust up among other early 20th century trusts the Rockefeller Oil Trust (100% vertically and horizontally integrated large oil corporation), the children so to speak today of Standard Oil (largely Exxon Mobil) make plenty of money selling all sorts of products they manufacture from raw oil and either pure natural gas or natural gas they obtain through hydrolic fracking.

I merely suggest players of EOS who have say mines can extract bauxite, manufacture aluminum at their smelters, with R&D thrown in to ensure fairly high quality aluminum, and still sell it at a profit that is at a price well below $180 a unit. That is called price gouging, and it is why new players such as me turn out of self interest to making our own (much smaller) vertically integrated companies.

to close out, so this post does not become a full class room discussion, it will take some major restructuring by players large and small (mostly large) in EOS, so all sorts of products, from raw extracts to semi finished goods to final consumer goods can get sold on the B2B marketplace, at both a profit to the maker yet still at a low enough of a price to allow the purchaser to also make a profit selling it at the next level.

If you can get even 1/4 of the EOS playing community on board with such a very reasonable idea, I'm all for it, and would be happy to both offer the few goods I make for sale on B2B as well as would buy reasonably priced highish qa goods from the B2B marketplace.

good luck in getting some active discussion in EOS community on an excellent suggestion. I look forward to reading where more players will join up with this idea.

Werner Heisenberg
RJ: The Empire Business
CO:

+ / -

Total Posts: 4
I would be happy to sell many of my intermediate goods, I would just need to know the kinds of goods people needed, so I didn't overproduce and put out useless stuff, as well as the price ranges the smaller players were looking for. I make textiles as well as clothing, and my textile factories can't keep up with the amount of silk and wool I make from my livestock factories. It would be great to see me being able to sell the excess to players, then buy the processed product at a reasonable price for my clothing factory.
Nick Sirock

+ / -

As I said in the initial post, I have a large supply chain with tons of goods I could sell. I think another thing that is important to consider is that a large portion of the wealth that we see in the top leaderboards is inactive people, meaning that their wealth (since their companies have been liquidated), is basically gone. If I'm counting right, only about 8 of the top 20 players still own a company. So it would take even less players acting as a group to make a difference in the gameplay.
Jurry Hart
RJ: jurry
CO: Jurre

+ / -

Total Posts: 78
I'm willing to be more B2B , I tried it months ago but mostly the goods where bought by big fish instead of the little ones, thus i stopped.
Andrew Carnegie

+ / -

@ Werner: Happily for you & for me, one of the two industry sectors I'm in is apparel. I was only semi-active in EOS for the past two months, so Saturday California Time, I just restarted all of my livestock farms, textile mills, clothing factories, and have all my retail clothing (and office supply) stores on one week expansion.

I'll have a better idea next Saturday what kind of needs for raw livestocks for textiles I'm looking for.

Perhaps I should just PM you in the game.

@ Nick: Yes, I have noticed some of the richest players in the game, such as Zombie, have stopped playing recently. So you have an excellent point: it would be far more fun to see more posts in B2B listings of mid-to-high level goods at various stages or processing at reasonable prices, so both producers and buyers still make a fair profit in the end.

Aside note: Scott never programmed one thing from real world that we all know business people hate: taxes! But as he's apparently focused on his real life programming job, I guess we'll have to continue without paying taxes.
Jack Watson
RJ: Jimmy
CO: jimmy

+ / -

Total Posts: 2
@ Andrew:correction our companies do pay taxes on a daily basis,which is reflected in the revenue sheet.
Tiny Hogwaffle

+ / -

Just to get things started, I'm building an ice cream and sorbet company on RJ. If possible, I won't produce any components myself, but will buy them from you guys.

I think I'll start with 4 products at first: chocolate ice cream, strawberry ice cream, caramel ice cream, and strawberry sorbet. I'll need the following: Electricity, cocoa butter, milk, sugar, caramel, strawberry juice concentrate, water (filtered).

If you can't make any of these things, feel free to start a company that makes any of them. I'm not worried about quality at start; that's something we can strive for later.
Bruce Heitz
RJ: Berkeley Food & Farm
CO: Berkeley

+ / -

Total Posts: 162
@Tiny.... I sent you an igm. I'd be willing to work with you on this.
Nick Sirock

+ / -

I think it would be reasonable to post items at 90-100% of warehouse value. Its usually several times the cost to make the item (if you aren't buying overpriced materials). Then it is not viable for the liquidators to buy, but also isn't unfairly gouging the prices. I say this as someone who very rarely buys from the RJ b2b, and so not as someone who gains to profit by this. I've always posted my items at 100% or less. There are far too many items at 150%+ for no reason, often they are not the top quality, and the idea of paying extra to buy in bulk goes directly against every real life example as well as the very idea of economies of scale.
Jurry Hart
RJ: jurry
CO: Jurre

+ / -

Total Posts: 78
@ Caligula check IGM,

For others I'm willing to provide more B2B if prices are reasonable, I can also provide an outlet for some products through stores.

@Sam : What's wharehouse value, I only see wholesale value on product pedia ?
Previous [1] 2 3 4 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.