Store Balance

Previous [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
An equation to tweak store sales is scheduled for some time on May 1, 2012.

Currently all stores have a selling power that is applied on each product it sells regardless of how many products it can sell.

While a simple change would be simply changing the selling power from:

f(store_size)

to

f(store_size) * k/number_of_saleable_products

I feel the stores with many products should still have a slight advantage simply because the sheer complexity of managing them:

f(store_size) * k/(number_of_saleable_products)^0.8

What do you think?

As a side remark, rewarding single/few-product specialization is still not possible due to script efficiency concerns.

EDIT on 4/27:

Whereas the old proposal uses a constant k for everything, the new equation will be as follows:

f(store_size) * store_power_multiplier

where the multiplier will be assigned manually on a per store basis.
Simon Årby
RJ: Lommerusk

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 2
That sounds great.

Just that my tiks went down with about 55%.
zxektok megatron
RJ: zxektok

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 140
i can understand your point
i did choose supermarkets as my main companies stores because it was more work for greater gain.
So i agree that at max capacity they should produce more money. Currently i am at work so haven't had a math check of the formula but it looks like supermarkets would get completely crippled in comparison to other stores

depending on k of-course
Marc Laird
RJ: MarcAFK

+ / -

Total Posts: 18
I support this if only so theres less economic advantage to grinding huge quantities of stock, so i'll have a social life again :D
Chad the Launderer
RJ: Synreal
CO: Synreal

+ / -

Total Posts: 148
I absolutely agree. It is disconcerting to see that my 32k stores make less than people with 15k stores. I have invested billions in my infrastructure not to mention 2 months of nonstop expanding.
James Tate
RJ: Nickelas James Tate

+ / -

Total Posts: 33
Whats the value of the k variable?
Victoria Raverna
RJ: Victoria Raverna
CO: Victoria Raverna

+ / -

Total Posts: 107
While 2X button make it somewhat easier, it is still much harder to manage a store that sell many items compare to store that sell 8 items.

So I guess it depend on what the value of k is. If k is the number of sales product ^ 0.8 in store with most items then I guess it'll be okay since it'll not be a nerf (players usually don't like nerf in online game).

If it is less than that, you are going to punish hardworking players that choose stores with more items by nerfing their income.
James Tate
RJ: Nickelas James Tate

+ / -

Total Posts: 33
Whats the value of the k variable?
Is this equation applied to each Store type?

If it is:

f(store_size) * k/{(total_number_of_saleable_products)/(number_of_saleable_products)}^.08

Assuming, that I did my 3am math right (and didnt flip the dividend, and the divisor), the Sales Power will reach it's full bonus once the the Store is selling each product it's capable of selling.

This way stores which just happen to have larger number of sellable products wont have an undue advantage, but it'll encourage Owners to sell each possible item.

The reduction from the exponent might not needed be anymore.

Now, unless you want stores with larger products just to have larger bonus, then something like this could work:

f(store_size) * k/total_number_of_saleable_products+number_of_saleable_products^.08

Again, assuming I'm doing my 3am math right, this ought to just plainly reward Stores with Larger number of Products with bonus to the number of Products their selling.

Either way, I'm of the strong opinion that the total number of product that can be sold for the store should matter.
Chad the Launderer
RJ: Synreal
CO: Synreal

+ / -

Total Posts: 148
Does each store have a different k factor? What is it based on? Right now supermarkets are 14x more powerful than jewelry stores. Using the (k/# products)^8 they become 1.72x more powerful. I like the idea but I think even a ^.9 power factor would be acceptable. ^.9 puts them at about 1.31x more powerful. Almost 33% bonus is pretty good for the extra hour a week restocking.
Toaster D'Awesome
RJ: Toaster The Awesome

+ / -

Total Posts: 14
Having a slight bonus to stores with lots of products makes sense, if only considering realism. "While I'm at the store, I might as well pick up some X."
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Not being a math wizard, I have no inclination to go there, but I think I get the gist of it.

Having just started a company that focuses on higher-end goods, I am concerned that selling something priced in the thousands, and in a few cases, tens of thousands, might be adversely affected just be cause they aren't sold in a gas station. Can someone who understands the math better than I ever could respond for me, please?
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

+ / -

Total Posts: 167
I'll re-iterate my proposal for this from the other day, in full here:

http://www.ratjoy.com/forum/topic/give-narrow-inventory-stores-a-small-sales-bonus/

Short version is that I think it'd be nice to have this expressed in terms of the actual inventory in a store vs. maximum inventory, rather than as just a per-store basis. If I'm reading your proposal right, Scott, this would reward e.g. a Toy Store owner on a per-store basis based on the fact that Toy Stores have a smaller total maximum inventory, but does nothing to allow a Supermarket owner to be an ad hoc "specialty shop" by electing to stock a narrow selection.

My notion is built more to allow that kind of custom-shop mentality; makes it less a war between shop types and more a matter of roleplaying the *kind* of shop you want without leaving specialty folks in the lurch, while still providing a clear economic advantage to folks willing to make the effort to fully stock their stores.
Tom Denton
RJ: kaibutsu

+ / -

Total Posts: 24
There are only two roles to play in the free market, Tex. Consumer, and consumed.
Nwabudike Morgan
RJ: CEO Nwabudike Morgan
CO: CEO Nwabudike Morgan

Post Rating: 14
+ / -

Total Posts: 108
How do you intend for the store rebalance affect stores that cost more or less than $20,000/m^2?
Tony Wooster
RJ: Johnny Appleseed

+ / -

Total Posts: 41
I'm biased because I've tossed a lot of time into building my (food-based) empire, but it seems to me that the effort that goes into the full supermarket supply chain warrants a definite reward. There sheer amount of time it takes to hunt down every best value, meanwhile managing the research of 164 products and their dependencies, implies that supermarket owners should gain greater benefit than stores with smaller production pathways.

At any rate, if this type of change goes through, then the supermarket should be ~4x more effective than a farmers market if only because it costs 4x more per sq ft. Otherwise, what's the point? 4x more for a ~2x increase in sales? Not worth it.

How this balances out with the other industries is also a question, but I note that food-market saturation should, theoretically, be able to manage the difference.

Just my 2c.
Control Volume
RJ: ControlVolume
CO: Control Volume

+ / -

Total Posts: 43
I think it's too broad a solution when balancing should be done on a case-by-case basis. Is a store selling less/more than you think it should? Multiply it by a variable you choose that brings it in line with the revenue/size you want to see, and add some blurb about this type of store being better/worse at selling items. You could change the balance between similar stores (supermarkets vs. farmer's markets vs. cafes, etc.) while keeping the balance between stores in entirely different product lines the same. It's also easily adjustable.

Adding a global variable like this just shifts the current imbalance (if there is one) to a different imbalance. Right now, this would make going into a low-wholesale store like supermarkets a joke when one can go into something like planes, which are competitive with supermarkets for their cost in their current state.
Previous [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.