Store Balance

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
I can pre-compute all sales given that any price changes you make may not be taken into effect 15 min. later. But yes, brilliant idea I've not thought of. :-)
Andrew Turner
RJ: Thomas Lazygun

+ / -

Total Posts: 44
Yes, if a player makes a price change you have to recalculate that item. If a player buys or sells things on the B2B you have to recalculate. If a factory comes to the end of a run you have to recalculate (suddenly you find that the stocks won't sell out after all). That's what I mean by needing to do more work overall. Depending on the architecture of your code you might need to queue up a list of pending updates.

One more thought about my suggestion above, is that it has an effect on play balance that isn't immediately obvious. Currently if you're the only manufacturer of left-handed corkscrews you can put them on the B2B at 100 x wholesale value and the store-owners will buy them because otherwise their left-handed corkscrew shelf is standing empty. But if store-owners have to decide what to stock in their shelves, and what gets left out, buying those overpriced left-handed corkscrews becomes a lot less attractive.
Matt Magnum
RJ: Matt
CO:

+ / -

Total Posts: 9
Would love to see that change for the stores. Really would love to be able to specialize in selling what I manufacture rather than trying to stock tons of products.
David Donlon
RJ: Fenious Buttersmith

+ / -

Total Posts: 79
Count me as loving this last set of ideas.
Andrew Turner
RJ: Thomas Lazygun

+ / -

Total Posts: 44
Well it is possible to take specialization too far. The need to keep all your shelves stocked drives a whole lot of the B2B market, and it is a bit silly and unrealistic to have an Orange Juice store that only sells 20 different varieties of orange juice. So we would need a mechanism that encourages *some* diversity.
martin uzz
RJ: Martinuzz
CO: martinuzz

+ / -

Total Posts: 59
Yeah, diversity keeps the game more dynamic
Matt Magnum
RJ: Matt
CO:

+ / -

Total Posts: 9
I would argue an orange juice store with different varieties of orange juice is more realistic than the variety of products the industrial store sells right now. As well as the fact there is only 1 type of steel, I don't see the need for the ultra realism. Shouldn't demand serve to regulate the specialization anyway? Right now demand for many products is not met because of the current store implementation.
D Patrick Michael
RJ: Castun

+ / -

Total Posts: 41
I love the idea but I think you'll have to allow for different maximum slots for different store types. Doesn't seem to make much sense to allow only 20 different product slots for a supermarket. Doesn't sound so 'super' to me! :)

Well, I assume you wouldn't use 20 for each store type anyway.
Scott (Admin)

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

I think I'll just do a flat 8 10 slots for all stores.

So with 12 stores you can get 96 120 slots per company.
Innocent Bystander
RJ: Matthew Matician

+ / -

Total Posts: 76
I'm not sure I understand how slots with multiple stores would work.

If I have one store that is 1000ft^2 vs 10 stores of 100ft^2, does that mean in the first example I'd only have 10 slots, each, say, with selling power of 100ft^2? For the second example, would I have 100 slots, each with effective selling power of 10ft^2?

I love the idea of being able to specialize and sell some of one store's products and not another, but this particular implementation of slots seems very unintuitive and seems like it could be overly difficult to manage from the player's perspective.

I still think something like the following would be a good and viable alternative:
1) fractional qualities
2) can only sell one quality of item at a store (you can either merge your qualities or pick one to sell)
3) Selling power at each store could be multiplied by maxItemsAllowedByStore/numberActuallyInStock to allow players (for instance) to focus entirely on a very small handful of items that they have a specialty in.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

To me the slot system can work like this:

Click on a shelf, see a list of all saleable goods sorted by warehouse availability/name, pick one, enter number you'd like to put on shelf (limited by store size), and a price.

Click on another shelf, repeat.

Then from the main screen you can see all the #'s, revenues, and change prices for all 10 shelves.

The reason for reduced # of slots is to reduce DB bloat. I can still use the totalSlots/usedSlots as a multiplier, but you'll still want to keep different items stocked if only for the supply/demand concerns.
Harold Holt
RJ: Harold Holt

+ / -

Total Posts: 28
Does that mean that I have to manage 120 shelves if I operate 10 apparel stores as opposed to 37 currently?
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Should I make it 80? I think in Capitalism if you laid out the plan as Purchasing-Sales x 4, you only have 4 shelves per store.

But then again, using Mathematician's idea, you can leave some shelves empty and the sales will scale with the active # of shelves. (If you're not worried about saturating supply in a certain market)
Lorenzo Boccaccia
RJ: Mon Opoli
CO: Mon Opoli

+ / -

Total Posts: 80
seems a very weird interface for a browser game, all that clickability and drill downs and sliders and multipliers and menu to select stuff...

Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Let's call it a failed attempt to try to make it work on touch-based devices.
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.