Bots

Previous [1] 2 3 4 5 Next
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 266
What is the official position on bots?

I'm just asking because a certain company is pretty obviously using bots, at least to buy things on the B2B - about two ticks out of three, exactly 4 minutes past the tick, it purchases small amounts of certain products from me.

I'm not morally opposed to them, but at certain times of day it makes so many purchases that my "Company News" screen goes back less than a minute. If this is permissible, could we add an "Older" button to the Company News?
Art M
RJ: Matrix
CO:

+ / -

Total Posts: 11
Ya, i just noticed same thing, was actually wondering this very moment and then saw this thread. It blankets purchase screen with small purchases, distracting from important details.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
I'll start examining them soon. I have no issue with bots/macros when you make good quality ones for personal use, but if you make a bad one (in terms of causing spam or too many server requests) and/or start distributing them, that'd be an entirely different story.
Paul Chambers
RJ: ppiixx

+ / -

Total Posts: 8
I wrote a bot to try and keep my stores stocked from the B2B as that seemed the least fun bit of the game.

I would welcome any guidance on acceptable number of server requests to make, right now it does one hit for each store to check the stock levels, one to b2b for each item that is low and then potentially one per item it wants to purchase.

Not running it per tick at the moment, once or twice a day should be more than enough once I work out how much of each item to hold.

Ofcourse buy orders would remove the need for it entirely :)

Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
Interesting thread since I was considering to develop a perl bot to automatize some things but I was wondering if it was allowed or not in the game.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
I smell another can of worms being opened.
Again, there is a reason so many sites ban them completely.
Anna Banana
RJ: Sue MacLean
CO: Sue MacLean

+ / -

Total Posts: 19
I think mostly everything is fair enough as long as nobody can speed up the game clock. That would be outright cheating. :)

I'm probably biased. I'm really attached to my greasemonkey scripts just for colour coding and rearranging stuff (<3), so I'm terrified of any rules that might grow into a blanket ban on scripts.
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

Post Rating: 5
+ / -

Total Posts: 214
Anna, I think something purely aesthetic like yours could be fine for the game but having bots automatically buy and sell things really takes away a lot of the point.

I mean seriously, half the fun is finding good deals and anticipating things. New people won't even play the game if they see that people are clearly using bots to poopsock it.

Also the new production stacking features and others will take away some of the "need" for them.
Anna Banana
RJ: Sue MacLean
CO: Sue MacLean

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 19
Actually, yeah the only other thing that might get annoying is automated buying.

I also think it's irresponsible to poll the server unless you're sitting there hitting F5 yourself, or limiting yourself to something slow. :) That's kind of required for monitoring the B2B, depending on how aggressive the scripts are. If somebody's computer is requesting the B2B list every second for 12 hours straight, that's going to get taken away fast.
Cian Kemp
RJ: Cian Kemp
CO: Cian Kemp

+ / -

Total Posts: 183
I'm not too fond of the message spam either. Seeing a massive list of "Soandso bought 7 units of TV from you." is kind of annoying. It's a relief when someone else finally just up and buys the other 5000 just to stop the sales. I don't care when the same company come back 10-15 times a day buying small amounts - I was doing that when I was broke too. I just think 80-100 times a day is a bit much.
Reiter Hexenmeister
RJ: Ritter Hexenmeister

+ / -

Total Posts: 22
I planned to make a bot to mantain my spreadsheet updated. As Paul Chambers I wonder if you post acceptable uses and limits for bots. I think if you don't put attention on game, botz don't make great advantage, (usually used for routinary tasks,) but I wait to start programming until Scott veredict.
David Baril
RJ: Your Grandma

+ / -

As a new player, I don't like the idea of using bots. First, it doesn't feel natural. Second, all the players without any programming skills won't be able to compete against the bots' programmers.
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

+ / -

Total Posts: 214
My main fear is that B2B will become unusable to anyone without bots if they instantly snap up items at certain prices.
David Baril
RJ: Your Grandma

+ / -

Another fear: restocking bots. I know restocking can be a pain in the %?%$$, but that's why we can hire people. This feature will become useless. In the end, I think all the comunnity spirit can suffer from it.
Control Volume
RJ: ControlVolume
CO: Control Volume

+ / -

Total Posts: 43
Would it be possible just to group purchases by companies? "So-and-so bought x amounts of y from you today," with the timestamp at the time of the first purchase.
martin uzz
RJ: Martinuzz
CO: martinuzz

+ / -

Total Posts: 59
I just noticed I made a thread on this same subject. While I have never felt tempted to have a try at them myself, I'm not per definition against bots. If the dev says he's fine with bots, that's okay. But there should be rules then, in what a bot is allowed to do, and what would be considered cheaty, or spam. If the dev could think up such a set of rules, that would prevent much debating on bots in the years to come for this forum.
Previous [1] 2 3 4 5 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.