Bots

Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next
Mister Death
RJ: McFlono McFloninoo

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Total Posts: 266
Sounds reasonable, in that it's going to leave everybody unsatisfied (-:

Could you repost that somewhere in your list of rules if it exists somewhere?
Lorenzo Boccaccia
RJ: Mon Opoli
CO: Mon Opoli

Post Rating: 4
+ / -

Total Posts: 80
Just add a 'lazy restock' which buy as many as in the last three day average of each product, divided by two; see all bot wither and die

On a less serious note, if you can't play better than a bot the problem is on your end
Bot can't exploit market trends; can't buy larger stock if the price is convenient; can't refrain from buying if a price fixing is going on etc.....
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 214
You should really just nip this in the bud now. Theres reasons why other games frown on this.

Mabye let the people keep what they have now or something but ban new ones.
Lorenzo Boccaccia

+ / -

Maybe it's because other game compete on number of click but this game isn't?

Again, the only click intensive part where a bot could outperform an human (an average human at least) is stock replenishment.
Josh R
RJ: Josh
CO: Josh

+ / -

Total Posts: 15
I'm actually interested in developing bots that perform complex planning and decision-making. My eventual goal is to develop a bot that's better at recognizing market trends and patterns than I am, given the limited time that I have to play. For me, writing a bot is a fun way to explore AI and programming techniques that I wouldn't ordinarily use.

Regarding interface changes: perhaps you could return a special HTTP status code or header to indicate that a bot is misbehaving and might want to lower its request rate or suspend itself pending review by its owner. My current bot uses an object to manage the EoS session and perform rate-limiting and error-handling for all requests; it would be trivial to add code to handle warnings from the server. Perhaps you could require that bots identify themselves via a special User-Agent string, which would make them easier to regulate.
Lorenzo Boccaccia

+ / -

Nah, just check if a link is there before navigating. Restful is the way here.
Alexia Perdhaer
RJ: Alexia Perdhaer

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 100
The people suggesting banning bots seem to be ignoring a rather glaring question, perhaps because they aren't coders and are just unaware: HOW???

Banning really primitive, not well behaved scripts is easy. But all I have to do is add a stochastic distribution of delays between requests my bot makes. How are you going to detect and ban bots without banning a non-trivial percentage of real players (probably the better players in fact because they play more methodically)?

Oh, and thanks Scott for stating the point I was trying to make, but in a much better (and more neutral) way. Sure, ability to code gives one an advantage in this game if you choose to code a web scraper in your downtime -- but, why single that out from among all the other traits, skills & knowledge which can give someone an edge?
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
yup, well coded bots are not detectable ( unless they are failing and you cannot anticipate it ).
Derp Aderp
RJ: Bertha Van Ation
CO: Fancy McPants

+ / -

Total Posts: 22
Indeed, just adding random delays between queries would make a good bot more difficult to detect. It would also be easy to simulate "normal" browsing, by making it randomly go to other parts of the site.

As Alexia said, some people are good at math, some are good at economics, some have tons of free time - all advantages in this game. Some can code (like me heh) and that's my edge.

Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

+ / -

Total Posts: 214
I'm just a puny microbiologist! :D
rich tamura
RJ: Shive Yarbles

+ / -

Total Posts: 8
Scripting is really a metagame.. To be frank, you'll never stop people from doing it, but it will wreck the playing field of the game. it's not just "an advantage", you have most of the formulas, you scrape the data and it becomes battle of the bots.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
I don't see it as a problem, anyone who makes bots for they own use will probably quit as soon as they succeed and realize it's not fun anymore. In case they continue to fail... well, there probably won't be an argument if we think they'll continue to fail.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 9
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
I think bots are unfair but not cheating.

Ummmm....
So, bots are unfair, but unfair is cool. And cheating is not unfair, it is something else, apparently more subjective, and it is not cool.
OK...got it.

Ooops, sorry, no I don't.
Lorenzo Boccaccia

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

the research unqueue for profit was cheat

mony laundring between company is cheat

stock manipulation of the robocitizen was cheat

it seems pretty much definited. if you can do it by hand, it can be automated. if you shouldn't do it, it is cheating, both by hand and by bot.
Tolgahan Arıkan
RJ: Tolga
CO: Tolga

Post Rating: 5
+ / -

Total Posts: 6
It is not that I want to use bots, I enjoy playing the game myself, but I don't understand this "use it but do not share it" thing. Does everyone have to be a programmer?

Having no rule about who and how people can use bots and people who's making billions of dollars from stock market out of thin air is making me feel uncomfortable. I know Scott has some rules about playing the game fair and so, but this format doesn't seem to work, as it certainly wouldn't work in real life. I mean, think about that, people would to all sorts of things and try to decide if it's fair or not. Is that better than not having laws?

I know alot of people will hate me because of this post but this is what I think and I know that I can leave anytime I want but I've enjoyed playing the game so far and I want to continue enjoying it.
Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.