Total Posts: 214
No man I agree 100%.
Urist Esterar
RJ: Uristqwerty
CO: Uristqwerty

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 5
Not sure, but I get the idea that it's because even a well-coded bot might break due to some future change, and if you are using a bot that breaks, and cannot at least disable the broken parts (or the whole thing, or repair it), it could have a significant effect on the game. Possibly by creating an exploitable pattern of sales that other players can use to profit at your expense, or perhaps it gets into a loop, somewhere, and starts spamming the server with page requests.

Derp Aderp
RJ: Bertha Van Ation
CO: Fancy McPants

+ / -

Total Posts: 22
Tolgahan Arıkan, tons of companies use "bots" to exploit the stock market in real life, you know. There are no laws against it.
David MacIver
RJ: DRMacIver
CO: David R. MacIver

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 47
FWIW, I run a bot (a fairly obvious one. I've got a lot of confused messages about my purchasing habits). It looks at what I can sell that I'm out of stock of and rectifies that situation.

From my perspective it doesn't look like it's granted me a particularly unfair advantage: All I'm doing is automating strategies that I could perform manually quite easily. I think y'all are overestimating the amount of benefit a bot gives: Sure, I could (and probably will) improve my bot to be able to perform arbitrary amounts of attention to detail that I'm not sufficiently obsessive to do myself, but it's *hard* to do that.

This isn't a game where writing a bot gives you an outrageous advantage. From a time sunk perspective I'm not even sure my bot has saved me time (ok, that's probably not true. But it's not saved me an outrageous amount of time) - it's just that time spent working on the bot is more interesting than time spent performing the same repetitive task, and it lets me spend more of my time on the strategy.

Basically, I regard it as just another way to play the game, and a fairly interesting one at that.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Derp:

There are some laws against some robo-trading (also known as micro-trading). I know that brokers are not supposed to be using it, and that it is the second biggest well-known secret on Wall Street. By most "expert" economists accounts, the biggest problem with the market today is, in fact, robo-trading. And it is widely viewed that the best way to bring stability back to the commodities markets is to get rid of robo-trading. The oil market in particular is totally turned on it's head by this technique, with a whopping 80% of oil contracts held by speculators, not by suppliers and processors. This is pretty much the opposite of the way the markets were conceived, and worked, in the first place.

Just for the record, I am in favor of the .1% tax on stock and commodity trades being considered in the US.
Derp Aderp
RJ: Bertha Van Ation
CO: Fancy McPants

+ / -

Total Posts: 22
Indeed, the Tobin Tax should limit robo-trading.
Urist McDwarf
RJ: Eden smith
CO: Eden smith

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
Having bots is employing a robot at 0cost. You can employ people to manage your company or to buy and sell things, but a bot is a much better option.
I think it would ruin the game to have bots do all the work, a perfectly run company that buys everything instantly is no fun.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
BB Goode
Just for the record, I am in favor of the .1% tax on stock and commodity trades being considered in the US.

Same, I bet the some lobbyists are working hard to keep it at only 0.1%.
Lorenzo Boccaccia
RJ: Mon Opoli
CO: Mon Opoli

+ / -

Total Posts: 80
Having bots is employing a robot at 0cost. You can employ people to manage your company or to buy and sell things, but a bot is a much better option.
I think it would ruin the game to have bots do all the work, a perfectly run company that buys everything instantly is no fun.

go figure, I'd be extremely happy to pay for having some automation for my warehouse (go figure, not even stores, simply warehouse stock) just to keep a buffer of 10k steel ready
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 2
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
My Editor declined to publish this one. So, here is a "freebie" (I don't actually get paid for the others, don't worry. "Free Press" is just that. LOL)

Cyber Bots Attack

You've seen them clamoring on the roads along industrial parks, lounging around mega-farms, clinging to incoming containers at the docks and playing cards in front of the stock exchanges. Some look like rusty, leftover pieces from a machine shop, some resemble your kid's erector set science project, and still others are slick, sleek professional models built to compete.

They are Bots, short for robots, and compete is what they do. They compete to beat the average citizen and businessman/woman/child to the best deals from the B2B, import docks and stock markets. They are the toys of the privileged few that can beg, buy or steal them. They are like certain controlled substances...you can smoke them at home, but you can't grow, buy or sell them legally.

The sole purpose of these man-made pieces of madness is to cheat the system by making you work harder while they get the best the system has to offer by operating at the speed of light to keep you from even seeing that great opportunity put forth by another diligent working class citizen trying to play fair. And make no mistake about it, the threat is growing. As well meaning businessmen/women/children find themselves slipping further behind the competition, they will reach out to that shadow in the ally, the derelict on the corner near their school, the guy that's always at the office water cooler right after lunch, and they will succumb. They will become part of the dark underworld that is developing right out in the light of day. Their souls will be lost.

In a rare moment of availability, President Ratan Joyce offered this comment. "I don't think they are fair, but it is not cheating." It is a well known fact that President Joyce has the technical skills to construct these denizens of economic mayhem himself, and may have done so in the past. At the very least, he runs in the circle of soulless characters that are, in fact, perpetrating the propagation of these economic parasites. We will continue to investigate his relationships with these unknown figures of the cyber-underworld, and report the facts as always. If we aren't scooped by a...Bot.

Alexia Perdhaer
RJ: Alexia Perdhaer

Post Rating: -22
+ / -

Total Posts: 100
Post hidden due to its low rating (click here to show post)
Herb Derpman
RJ: Herb Derpman
CO: Herb Derpman

Post Rating: 19
+ / -

Total Posts: 35
XD These analogies you guys come up with to compare to botting are ridiculous.

A guy with legs in a foot race against a guy with no legs? More like a guy with legs in a foot race against a guy who builds a robot to run the race for him which can run faster than humanly possible and never gets tired.
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
I'm only aware of 1 "greedy GET bot", but its owner tweaked it after its auto-jailing so it's now behaving much more "human-like".
Edwin Quintanilla
RJ: EdqMaster
CO: Edqmaster

+ / -

Total Posts: 74
Hey check this one out

http://www.ratjoy.com/eos/firm/54
It says Company Last Active: March 1, 2012, 12:00 AM
Yet

May 13, 2012
3:27 PM Eosiens Handelskompanie bought 5981 units of Coal from your company for a total of $45,759.43.

I am not for or against bots just wondering if this a bot or a page error or something?
Josh Millard
RJ: Tex Corman
CO: J. Quaff Arabica

+ / -

Total Posts: 167
That is a game-run robocompany that buys up anything you try to B2B below the rockbottom export price.
Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.