Competing against a bot

Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Kai Bonafico
RJ: Kai Bonafico
CO: Stark

Post Rating: 2
+ / -

Total Posts: 6
Using a bot simply applies the solutions that a human decides on at a more frequent time scale. All the decision making is still made by the programmer. The advantage simply relies on being able to continuously apply those decisions all day. So should we also penalize a person who can sit at the computer all day altering their sales plans?

This "slippery slope" argument is silly and a red herring. No one's clamoring for Scott to add limits on how often players can manually adjust any of the in-game actions their company takes. The discussion is whether the rules of the game should allow people to use automated tools to perform those actions. I think it's a pretty clear bright-line distinction and there's no need to muddy it up.
Michael Tsui
RJ: Reisen
CO: Reisen Udongein Inaba

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 45
@Eric Scott:

This is more like legislation. Yes, in RL economics, a lot of things can happen, if the government does not intervene.

Welcome to the left side of economics.
A J
RJ: amanbearpig
CO: aManBearPig

+ / -

Total Posts: 54
Yes, bots need to GO!
billy bob
RJ: Billy Bob
CO: Billy Bob

+ / -

Total Posts: 14
I like bots, +1 bot vote! (re-stocking stores sucks, if that's automated I don't really care)
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
Using a bot simply applies the solutions that a human decides on at a more frequent time scale. All the decision making is still made by the programmer. The advantage simply relies on being able to continuously apply those decisions all day. So should we also penalize a person who can sit at the computer all day altering their sales plans?

Because humans spend usually some time to sleep, to have a social life,to do some sex with various partner, to work in a real job ... Plus the fact that a human cannot manage dozens of company because it would be painless. All things that Bots ignore, since they are 100 % focus doing money in CO, whatever the number of companies. And last point, we are playing this game because this is multiplayer, not because we can play against AI.

That's why we should ban them, IMHO.
eric scott
RJ: Erik Scott
CO: Sappo

+ / -

Total Posts: 130
Agreed with Bob 100%

At the risk of giving my hand away...

My market has been the jewellery line, 100% dedicated to it this time around.

I was doing 100% market share on a few items, and averaging 40-50% market share on the rest... since the new server started. I wasn't making massive profits, nor was I making chump change.

Ever since sometime yesterday now, my market share has dropped into the low 10-30% braket, across the board... I can't even imagine how the smaller companies have been effected.

Can we guess who sprung up a new company and completely flooded the market, pretty well instantaneously?

Alex Bangley
RJ: Joe Pesci
CO: Cao Dewang

+ / -

Less time complaining and more time playing would help
billy bob
RJ: Billy Bob
CO: Billy Bob

+ / -

What you're all arguing against here is BallC's overriding power, which as he's said came about from the initial imbalance in high value goods. Not so much bots...

Well, I made about $160M in profit from the airplane business in 2 days: BallC earlier in the thread.

He's parlayed this into a commanding lead, and now is practicing Capitalism.

I don't see how this could be fixed without being completely unreasonable, but a possible amelioration would be to make actions (such as store rotation, re-stocking) have a cost to represent the labor involved. In this case bot users would be somewhat penalized. The "problem" with Bots is that they can make more actions a day than a Human, right?
A J

+ / -

hah erik I'm in the same boat.
I was going Hot Foods, took a little while to get things going. Got a few wings, fried chicken, just today got some chicken sandwiches. 100% market share - awesome! Then literally an hour or two later, my market share dropped to below 2%. I tried dropping my price to $10, compared to "someone" selling ~ $45 (based on avg price). Stayed at ~ 2% share for about 2 hours, then back to 100% share, but the demand has been destroyed. :( Went from 0% to over 75% demand met in 2 hours...

How do I compete, when my only store is (just upgraded to) 80m2, compared to BallC with 5000m2 in Food Courts alone!?!?

He can literally bounce from industry to industry and dominate sales due to massive store size. There is no defense against this.

Sorry for being on a BallC rant - you did nothing wrong man, it's capitalism - it just completely sucks for some of the smaller players who get in front of his steamroller.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
My strategy of instabuilding huge stores ONLY WORKS if I'm hopping around from product to product. Otherwise, I'd saturate demand too quickly in any particular product because my stores are oversized compared to the rest of the economy.

Translation: By cheating with bots, I have accumulated such an advantage, I now have to keep cheating with bots, or I will destroy the game single handed.
eric scott
RJ: Erik Scott
CO: Sappo

+ / -

Total Posts: 130
Maybe we need to come up with a new system of product sales... Branding

I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but with having your brand name associated with sales, it would prevent someone coming in and within a day (or less) totally dominating an industry.

If you were producing quality goods for some time, your brand would have risen to the top. Someone new to the game... no matter their quality level just would not have any brand power, and thus restricted sales

Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

+ / -

Total Posts: 214
Eh I dont really see howd he'd nuke the game. (he could certainly cause major issues if he couldnt switch so fast though). In any case hes made his money and in this game money begets more money (thats awesome). I just dont want a bunch of other people getting the same idea and it stops being EoC and becomes BattleBots.
Jayle Trigger
RJ: Berry Punch
CO: Applejack

+ / -

Total Posts: 93
Meh, I personally don't even bother to change my price when he bombs my market. Too much effort and it'll still come back to what it was before. I'm still selling, not as much as peak... but it pays the bills whether I get max profits out of it or not.

I also think there is someone else using the same bot stuff as BallC, at least in the food courts... He is still way smaller then BallC.
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

+ / -

Total Posts: 214
I picked my business specifically so he couldnt bomb it (no imports/B2B). At least not without committing to the industry.
A J

+ / -

He has such enormous size that - at least in Food Courts where I am - if he starts selling anything he can immediately saturate the market for said item, at practically any price. He is selling (for example) country fried steak at over 3x my price (we have about equal quality, he is slightly higher than me) and yet I still only can get 2% of the market.
Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.