Competing against a bot

Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 214
Yea I dont even get why this is a debatable thing.
Luke Trager
RJ: Richard Kner
CO: Richard Knerr

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
You do realize with botters out of the picture this is still going to be happening with people starting new companies, etc.
Andrew Naples

+ / -

Newbies having multiple 5000m stores? I dont think so.

Edit: Ah I see, they got that way by playing well, why should I care?

I feel like I should reiterate, I have no problem with BallC himself. But I can definately empathize with the sour feeling when someone completely dominates a game (hurting you in the process) when they havent played fairly. I DO NOT want BallC punished in any way. He was quite explicitly allowed to bot. Last thing we need is resets too. I think that botting should be discontinued. My issue is with botting in general and I dont want to see more of it.
Luke Trager
RJ: Richard Kner
CO: Richard Knerr

+ / -

Newbies? I'm talking about Cian Kemp and Sourone. And others will be joining them soon. I think so.
Victoria Raverna
RJ: Victoria Raverna
CO: Victoria Raverna

+ / -

Total Posts: 107
The problem with bots are that they're too efficient.

In term of competitiveness and the ranking, bots like BallC's are going to destroy the game. Eventually it'll be impossible to get to the top ranking without using bots so players who don't use bots (unable or don't want to) will leave the game.

There is a good reason why most online games banned bots. RJ need to ban bots before it is too late and kill the game. RJ want to be able to live off revenue from the game and that'll be hard if not impossible if people are allowed to use bots.
id dumb
RJ: iddumb
CO: ID Dumb

+ / -

Will the real bot users please stand up?
Lots of accusations and defenses, but no admissions makes me wonder.
Stand up, state your name, be proud of what you do and admit if you use bots, please.
Andrew Naples

+ / -

Im sure theres a few more but BallC is the only one (hes said so) using it with big impact on the economy/gameplay.
A J
RJ: amanbearpig
CO: aManBearPig

Post Rating: 2
+ / -

Total Posts: 54
Here is the problem with bots like this: Let's say a person makes some good investments, some smart purchases, and gets lucky. He has a pile of capital. All well and good, everyone can do this (See Kemp and all other people playing minus bots).

But, if you add a well designed and programmed bot into the equation like BallC has done - there lies the problem. Now we have a person with a bunch of capital, in this case, millions of econ-bucks, with enormous salespower (5000m2 stores), with a bot that - 1) peruses the market to determine where demand is low, then 2) auto-buys this product (b2b or import), 3) places it in the store with a substantial markup, and 4) reaps fantastic profit as the shear size of the store overwhelms competition.

Once the demand drops due to being hit with a sledgehammer of 5000m2 selling said product, the bot moves on to a different product. Rinse and repeat. All without BallC having to look over the demand tables, look over b2b/import prices, purchase, stock, or sell.

Once this system is in place, with all the info and equations about demand provided, there is literally NO way this bot-company can be stopped. It has a gigantic lead in capital, the ability to instantly buy up any product that will yield the highest return, and the store square-footage to overwhelm any competition regardless of price or quality.

That is the problem with bots.
id dumb
RJ: iddumb
CO: ID Dumb

+ / -

Is that a 'yes' you are using a bot?
Andrew Naples

+ / -

Hes said it like 10 times in this thread dude (and weve even discussed how it works). Hes also allowed to by RJ.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
"In term of competitiveness and the ranking, bots like BallC's are going to destroy the game. Eventually it'll be impossible to get to the top ranking without using bots so players who don't use bots (unable or don't want to) will leave the game."

And they have already had that effect. While they continue to argue for legitimacy, they continue to do the very damage they think they deserve the right to affect. As Clemen has said, a 5000m2 store dropped on you one day IS going to have an effect. And it won't be positive. I am playing against bots on both servers, and they just flat out screw things up in ridiculous ways that destroy any notion that this is that complex, realistic simulation that Scott is trying to achieve. Even the real Walmart cannot do the things Ball has been allowed to do. And to the degree they can, they are also being kept out of communities, and even cities as large as Chicago have refused them berths due to the deleterious effects they have on local economies.

It is also horrendously disingenuous for he, or any others, to argue otherwise. Not to mention insulting to the intelligence of most of the people here, as evidenced by the very rational arguments made against botting vs. the absurd and highly selfish arguments made by the couple of people that are trying to hang onto the practice. Mostly they are beginning to drop to the level of willful ignorance in their refusal to recognize the view of the overwhelming majority of people here.
There is a reason most other sites ban them...usually around rule four or five.

Eventually Scott is going to have to decide...a largely populated and successful game site, or a couple of friends and their bots. I am not overly hopeful there. The only News story I wrote that he ever refused to run was the one I wrote on bots.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
BTW: I have no problem suggesting that all the bot players should get reset. They should be given the average of the top ten non-bot companies in loan-free cash and wished good luck, then made to play like the rest of the group.
It doesn't matter if anyone thinks they cheated or didn't.
It isn't about punishment.
It is about restoring balance and fairness to the game.
Michael Tsui
RJ: Reisen
CO: Reisen Udongein Inaba

+ / -

Total Posts: 45
1. An illegitimate way of playing would lead to everyone pleading for its removal, or removal of players from the game.
2. Using illegitimately gained money for further gains is itself illegitimate.
3. Exploiting to this degree is illegitimate. Not dissimilar to the Stock fraud on the old server.

I suggest a permaban on BallC, to preserve the integrity of the game and make sure every player can have an bot-free environment.
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
I would suggest to not punish anyone, but change the rule and forbid explicitely bots.
Any automation of the game should be forbidden, you want to play the game, YOU play the game, not a bot.
Victoria Raverna
RJ: Victoria Raverna
CO: Victoria Raverna

+ / -

Total Posts: 107
I don't think it is fair to punish bot users for things that they did before there is a rule against using bots. Instead of punishing bot users, Scott should just make a new rule and only punish people who still use bots after the new rule is in effect.

Let those that made profit using bots to keep their wealth but ask them to stop using bots. We are at a state where it is still not impossible for non bot users to catch up if everyone stop using bots.
Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.