Competing against a bot

Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next
Michael Tsui
RJ: Reisen
CO: Reisen Udongein Inaba

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 45
When he committed himself to... hot food it seems no industry is out of his grasp.
Gheed Baiwa ben sandara
RJ: Bob
CO: Bob

+ / -

Total Posts: 45
If a guy has like 90% market share offering a product @ 1000 dollars each and I enter the market offering the same quality products @ 500 dollars you'd expect the econosians come to me en masse. But they just stick with him and I get a <2% market share at most. So I cant compete with him until I also get 5000m^2 stores?
Cian Kemp
RJ: Cian Kemp
CO: Cian Kemp

+ / -

Total Posts: 183
Your stores just aren't big enough. It'd be like having a little push cart selling burgers between a McDonald's and a Burger King - no matter how many customers line up for your burgers you just don't have the capacity to take any significant market share from the bigger stores.
Cian Kemp

+ / -

If I was in hot food I'd just produce a ton of hot food and sell it on b2b in order to fill BallC's huge stores. You might make more selling it b2b than you'd get for it selling it slowly in a small store at low prices.

My clothing company sold $2 million worth of clothes to BallC's clothing company this morning alone. Dress shirts and khaki pants that I had extra of since I'm producing more than my stores can sell.
A J
RJ: amanbearpig
CO: aManBearPig

Post Rating: 3
+ / -

Total Posts: 54
So, since we all didn't game the system and sell 160million worth of jets in 2 days, we are all relegated to being tiny little suppliers to the big megacorp? Who do you think makes out better in that scenario? It may be legal in game, may be true capitalism, but it's completely lame to spend your time attempting to carefully build a business, finally start producing and making money, and then have a gigantic behemoth come along and its bots decide to take over 98% of the market share. At over 3x your price.
eric scott
RJ: Erik Scott
CO: Sappo

+ / -

Total Posts: 130
I've said my peace... Agree with AJ and camp 100%
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

+ / -

Total Posts: 506
Well said AJ.
And the final kick in the teeth is that Ball doesn't even want to be bothered with actually playing the game. That is the real underlying reason he and others write bots. They don't want to bother with "doing" the things one must do to "play" the game. Then: "They are playing one of the oldest political games in the book, trying to find moral justification for selfishness." (I think that is a John Kenneth Gailbrath quote, leveled against the craven greed-mongers of his day, but don't hold me to it. ;-) )
Cian Kemp

+ / -

FEED THE MEGACORPS! FEED US! MUAHAHAHAHA!

But really, you don't have to be a tiny supplier of a megacorp - but if you're producing stuff faster than you can sell it on retail you either need to: A) Build a larger store, B) Slash prices until they sell, C) Demolish some of your factories, or D) Sell your products b2b, or E) A combination of these.

Which one of these is best depends on the situation. If your stores are way smaller than factories then you're more than likely having a problem because you need more stores. Slashing your prices won't help much in that case, as you still won't sell all that much and you will only be hurting your margins. If you can't afford to make a bigger store, then the best short-term solution is to sell on b2b - especially if a big competitor is actively buying on b2b. Once you have some cash, THEN you can expand your stores enough to sell all the stuff your factories are producing.

Just because someone else is in the market taking most of the market share doesn't instantly kill your profitability. Many of the markets I used to have 100% of are at 30% or less due to other competitors, but I still make a very nice profit from it. Don't look at market share - look at your income.

Don't get me wrong, I agree on the bots thing - I'd rather a game without bots too, it will be especially noticeable when folks with bots have 10 massive companies and other folks are sticking with a couple. But just because we're competing with BallC doesn't mean we can't make any money. My clothing store grew from the 40 mil I dumped into it 5 days ago to being worth over 110 mil today, all while BallC was taking the vast majority of clothing sales.
Richard Ripberger
RJ: Rip
CO: Rip

+ / -

Total Posts: 153
Agree with Cian, and I had an idea.

Marketing in stores shouldn't be attached to the store or at least not all of it. Some amount should go to the products and if the product selections are changed it should "flush" the amount of marketing that has been spent on "that product"
Luke Trager
RJ: Richard Kner
CO: Richard Knerr

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
Am I the only one that thinks that yall's business practices are to blame for the lack of growth? I mean, going to back to the fast food analogy, if you had a burger cart that operated on a street corner and a McDonalds moved in the building you operate in of what would you do? Would you change your business practices to something more profitable or would you continue to operate the same way and be as big as them one day? Regardless of your quality they would still sell more. I think the reason for complaint here is the lack of fluid business models that determine greatest profitability.

In any game, like WoW for instance, being active (or inactive) greatly determines how fast you progress in the game. For all you FPS gamers, you know what I'm talking about. So can a person who plays leisurely expect to be in the top 10? No. The most active most efficient person will be, of course. And there will always be one person more active/efficient than the rest. I am not worried about BallC one bit because, like he said, in this case many windows are opened. Each of his companies open up the opportunity to get involved.

The game takes a little more attention to detail than what I think most of you who are complaining give. Just sayin. You're probably in the wrong business, and probably wrong in thinking that you're going to be alone in a profitable business forever.

One suggestion, however, would be to make the rankings list longer, so people can have a higher sense of accomplishment and can strive for something easier than top 10.
Aaron Barr
RJ: Aaron
CO: Aaron

+ / -

Total Posts: 81
Rip - "Marketing in stores shouldn't be attached to the store or at least not all of it. Some amount should go to the products and if the product selections are changed it should "flush" the amount of marketing that has been spent on "that product" "

I really like this idea. Makes sense that if your huge store is blowing millions advertising fishing poles, then the next day all thats on the shelves are basketballs you're probably not going to sell much.
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

+ / -

Total Posts: 214
Luke, even if I quit my job and spent 18 hours a day frantically checking numbers, I wouldnt even come close to the bot that operates perfectly 24/7. I mean come on you proved the "complainers" point in that paragraph.

I dont particularly care about BallC, hes got his money and I dont want him to lose it anyway. I dont want there to be ten+ BallCs.
Luke Trager
RJ: Richard Kner
CO: Richard Knerr

+ / -

Total Posts: 7
No, I just argued that BallC doesn't make as much of an impact on your profit as you think. Sure, if he butts into your market you're going to have to do things differently. But that applies to everyone, even if kemp refocused his stores to go into sports it would hurt BallC and he'd have to switch things up. These are things you have to think about with ANY big company butting in, aren't they. So he has more money than you, big whoop. So he changes his businesses to get the most money, that's game mechanics well at work.

You act like there are no ways to make money with him around. Flawed tactics will hurt you an infinite times more than BallC.

Edit: spelling
Andrew Naples
RJ: Clemen Salad
CO: Clemen

+ / -

Total Posts: 214
Ive got no issues making cash (maybe others are?), I did choose my industry in one that the bots cant just importscrew me. If you think 5000m stores suddenly in your industry doesnt hurt you then I dont know what to say. I think you think I want him gone or something. If there were more than one of him (which there will be if this ever gets popular), it would be a huge issue then.
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

+ / -

Total Posts: 341
the only way to avoid that is to ban bots. And that wouldnt be original since bots are clearly forbidden in similar games, and for a good reason.. There is absolutely no interest to play with / against a bot anyway.
Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.