Migration Thread 4/9/2013

Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
First chance I have had to look at the update. I have to say that I really like it. You haven't done much you didn't tell us months ago that you intended to do, so I don't get the sudden surprise by people. It looks great. I am also annoyed by the price of land, but I think it is a good thing. Anything that makes mega-expansion a slower process pushes players into interacting more in the long run, I think.
Can I start writing news articles again, now?
Scott (Admin)
RJ: Ratan Joyce
CO: Ratan Joyce

+ / -

Total Posts: 1175
Well, I'd probably fix the blur NEXT YEAR just by regenerating the bg at 2x resolution for the "retina display" devices.

Also tried to test IE9 in Virtualbox with Win XP, and I realized I can't install IE9 or IE10 on Win XP. I have no plans on supporting IE8 or before, so you're out of luck if you plan to stick with IE.

From my tests IE10 works fine if you enable active scripting and turn off compat view, aside from trying to do the zooming for you. But just know development on this game was started in Firefox, then continued in both Firefox and Chrome.

About the News
I'll carry my laziness one step further on this one.
M Burch
RJ: Farmerbob
CO: Farmerbob

+ / -

Total Posts: 151
Aye I missed where you asked me to turn off compatibility mode - it works now.
M Burch

Post Rating: 1
+ / -

Are open buy orders supposed to be looking at open sell orders?

If I create an open sell order for 5.00 for salt, for instance, will an open buy order with a price over 5.00 try to buy my salt?

In order to encourage people to look at open buy orders, the transfer should take place at the lower price. For instance, Roast Beef is selling for 9.75 on the sales side, and being bought for 12.7 on the buying side. Both transactions by NPC's And they are just sitting there, not interacting.

Having NPC market buy and sell orders drift together to within a few % points would seem to make sense.

Right now, for instance, there are a lot of mismatched prices on either market side and they aren't filling each other.

Additionally, this type of arbitrage is exactly the type of thing that botters look for. If the markets do not correct themselves, people will create bots that will have the same effect while destabilizing the player economy because of the huge income potentials. It will also be more CPU intensive for your servers if bots are performing the market corrections rather than the game handling it internally.

If I decide to renew my account in EVE, I can make about a billion isk per day doing arbitrage manually in trade hubs. I can easily imagine a bot being able to outperform me by many orders of magnitude. And in EVE, buy and sell markets are connected.

Without the buy and sell markets being connected here, I'm afraid the bots are going to become a serious problem.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Since you're the 2nd person to point this out within days of adding the updates, I guess it'd make no sense if I don't correct this. Thanks for the vote.
Mike Finn
RJ: Ben Fuller
CO: Ben Fuller

+ / -

Total Posts: 94
Did Company Fame level get recalibrated? My company dropped 30 levels in fame yesterday.
Mike Finn
RJ: Ben Fuller
CO: Ben Fuller

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Total Posts: 94
Nevermind - just read the System news.
David Archer
RJ: BallC
CO: BallC

+ / -

Total Posts: 142
@scott: suggest looking at stock / commodities market clearing or order matching algorithms for matching up the buy and sell orders that have price overlaps.

Here's a good ex: http://archfirst.org/apps/bfexch-javaee/concordion/org/archfirst/bfexch/spec/matchingengine/MatchingLimitOrders.html

Note the part about using avg price so neither the buyer nor seller has an advantage.

The wrinkle in the game impl is the "unlimited" quantity for buy orders which doesn't exist on real commodities markets (that I'm aware of). Maybe splitting the available quantity between the "unlimited" buy orders at the same price level when filling those orders would be a fair solution.
Scott (Admin)

+ / -

Don't worry, already taken care of.
I mean I'd have to tackle the same thing for the stock market anyways.

Excerpts from the news:

Apr 12, 2013
7:31 AM [NPC] United General Cor sold 11124 units of Watermelon Sorbet(s) to your company for a total of $33,372.00.
Apr 12, 2013
7:16 AM [NPC] United General Cor sold 9790 units of Apple Sorbet(s) to your company for a total of $29,370.00.
Apr 12, 2013
7:16 AM [NPC] United General Cor sold 9790 units of Banana Sorbet(s) to your company for a total of $29,370.00.
Apr 12, 2013
7:16 AM [NPC] United General Cor sold 9790 units of Cherry Sorbet(s) to your company for a total of $29,370.00.
Apr 12, 2013
7:16 AM [NPC] United General Cor sold 9790 units of Watermelon Sorbet(s) to your company for a total of $29,370.00.
Apr 12, 2013
7:01 AM [NPC] United General Cor sold 8676 units of Apple Sorbet(s) to your company for a total of $26,028.00.
Apr 12, 2013
6:46 AM [NPC] United General Cor sold 7641 units of Watermelon Sorbet(s) to your company for a total of $22,923.00.
Apr 12, 2013
6:46 AM [NPC] East Eosia Company sold 6742 units of Watermelon Sorbet(s) to your company for a total of $20,226.00.
Dana Sands
RJ: Fred Fredrickson
CO: Fred Fredrickson

+ / -

Total Posts: 26
So this just hit me about the the migration. Well, not so much the migration but that there are fewer total land plots available. I think it's a good move but it kind of increases the barriers to entry into the market. Having fewer plots and having them all be universal makes companies think more about how they're using land but because there is less of it, it takes a new company longer to build to the same size as an established company.

Before the migration, I could (once I had gotten to a reasonable size) buy up all the retail plots and fill them all up with stores and then start expanding. To build the same number of stores now, I probably have to give up some factory or research plots. In the long run, it doesn't really make a difference because instead of twelve stores, I can have six and double the size but it will take twice as long (vs 12 retail plots) to get the same amount of floor space.

Now, since we're dealing with virtual consumers, I don't know that it will have the same market/price distorting affects as it does in the real world but it's something to keep in mind. Maybe something along the lines as the research discount would be in order. The tough thing is that it probably isn't the money that creates the barrier. Twelve 10,000 ft^2 stores should take about as much money to build as six 20,000 ft^2 stores...I think. The difference in time (and to a lesser extent lost revenue while things are expanding) that creates the barrier.
jennifer landau
RJ: Rose Thorn
CO: Sun Sue

+ / -

Total Posts: 3
I can not see wharehouse or B2B screen blank

Works in Fox fire but not in Windows Explorer
M Burch

+ / -

I also cannot see the Warehouse or BSB screens.

Warehouse: Unknown runtime error eos_common.js?ver=0.80.0004, line 993 character 5

B2B Market: Unknown runtime error eos_common.js?ver=0.80.0004, line 1181 character 5

These errors were on my work machine. Not sure if they were fixed. At my home machine I'm not seeing the errors any longer, but it's been a couple hours - and I use a newer version of IE at home.
Paul Jikanski
RJ: Paul Jikanski
CO: Paul Jikanski

+ / -

Total Posts: 194
Bob, Scott stated above that he has no plants to support IE v8 or earlier, so maybe that's why your work computer isn't working but your home one is. Try updating IE at work, or using another browser if you are locked down and can't run your own updates.

In my personal opinion, IE blows. Lol. Simple as that. Always has, always will. Go Chrome or go home if you ask me. :) Fast, organized, easy, not to mention AdBlock. The greatest invention since sliced tomatoes.
M Burch

+ / -

*shrug* Thank you for the suggestion Paul, but...

I prefer functionality to coolness, generally. And I get that with IE unless I fiddle with indie gamer websites. Chrome doesn't work with any of the major applications I use at work, Only IE does. I see no reason to accustom myself to a different browser at home than I use at work when I get no added value from the change.

That having been said, I haven't owned a Television since 1989, my current vehicle is a 1998 model, and my current cellphone is a Nokia 6015i. Television is mostly crap as is most all other video materials generated for entertainment today (IMHO), my truck works fine because I maintain it properly, and know how to drive (235k miles on the original clutch - and it's only lost half it's useable pad), and my Nokia still has 11 days standby and 8 hours of talk time with the original battery it came with.

If it works, I generally stick with it :) If Scott doesn't support IE8, I might be able to upgrade to IE9 at work, but any non-IE browser is not going to happen.
Paul Jikanski
RJ: Paul Jikanski
CO: Paul Jikanski

+ / -

Total Posts: 194
My suggestion was to update IE at work, not change browsers :) Then if updating doesn't work, or if you're unable to update due to account management locks, use a different browser so you can at least play the game.
Different browsers are good for different things. That's why I said "In my personal opinion" before that section of the post.
Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.