Login
Ratjoy.com » Forums » Ratjoy.com General Discussion » Capitalism First Impressions

Capitalism First Impressions

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Bob Malone
RJ: Bob Malone
CO: Malone

Post Rating: 0
+ / -

Total Posts: 341
I started a mixed strategy factory+stores+R&D at start , but I sold everything and bought stores , and I am just making 3x the money I earn before... But, to be honest, this is really boring, so I will switch back to a mixed strategy, even if this way I would be far, far, from the top companies in the game. I do not see the point to do something boring to compete in a race that I have already lost anyway.
Cian Kemp
RJ: Cian Kemp
CO: Cian Kemp

+ / -

Total Posts: 183
I regretted having the factories yesterday. I'd probably be 15 mil net worth like Ball Mart and Sourone if I had just focused on flipping the cheap imports yesterday with a huge store, then building up my factories today with the proceeds. I had a rough time getting rid of some of my products when the imports dropped so much after being so high - I had some items that I produced from high priced imported silicon/tungsten powder that costed me almost as much to produce as I could suddenly import higher quality stuff for. I'm just lucky there wasn't a big electronics store player there to take advantage of them - most of my competitors were apparently doing the same thing as I was (factories + stores) so I was able to sell a big chunk of my stuff off and use the cash to expand my store before the cheap high ql imports appeared. I then took advantage of the cheap silicon to manufacture goods that could actually compete with the cheap imports, and things worked out ok.

If there had been a player focused on electronics stores without production I'd probably have been out of luck, though - the appliance market is already flooded with imports, so all I really have is electronics and electronic components.

I'm having more fun with a half and half strategy though. Right now I have about half my cash in production and research buildings and the other half in stores, and it's working alright. Not as good as the pure store owners, but like Bob I find the game more fun this way.

I'm a bit concerned about my long-term raw material supply, though. The other day I built a small smelter and crystal producer to get cheaper raw materials, but I don't use up enough coal, sand, and natural gas to keep the folks I'm buying them from alive by myself - and if they dry up my smelter and crystal producers will end up sitting idle. The guy I bought my tungsten ore from already disappeared, but luckily I bought enough of it to keep me going for a few days.
Balon Swann
RJ: Balon Swann
CO: Balon Swann

+ / -

Total Posts: 19
I am having fun with my mixed factories and store... but the fact that I was making more money before restarting right off the bat with a single watercraft store selling only import rowboats than I make now with a set of factories able to fully overstock my store is silly. I am hoping that the import market goes through frequent artificial low supply/high price cycles (trade disagreements have raised import prices by 9999999%!); that would help in making import retailers less viable:-)
Tony Soprano
RJ: Tony Soprano
CO: Anthony Soprano

+ / -

Total Posts: 30
@Cian Kemp Let me know what kind of Ores you need, I have a 500m2 mine and I can also supply you with Natural Gas I have a 250m2 well and will be expanding it very shortly. PM me.
Moe Jack
RJ: Moejack
CO: Moe Jack

+ / -

Total Posts: 128
Kemp: I'd love to be able to step in and help you with the tungsten ore but there's no way I will be able to build up enough research unless I can clear some of the iron ore inventory on the b2b! Chicken and egg.

I hate to attack the import/store strategy as that is what is providing me with the capital to keep expanding my production and research, but I fear some of these people with all the big cash are gonna come in, buy up a bunch of research, and crush me.

Michael Tsui
RJ: Reisen
CO: Reisen Udongein Inaba

+ / -

Total Posts: 45
It seems that I'm on the same boat as Cian Kemp.

Bad that I ditched an Apparel shop to do electronics.
Cian Kemp

+ / -

I actually have enough tungsten for a few more days before I'll need to buy more - like I said I bought enough for a couple days before it dropped off the market.

I won't be able to buy too much of it even long-term though, my smelter is only size 10 right now. I'm still a very small fry in tungsten powder production. I just use it making integrated circuits, and it goes a very long way in that.

A few numbers: a mere ten tungsten ore makes about 1127 tungsten powder. 1127 tungsten powder and 5635 silicon makes 16,445 integrated circuits (which is enough for over a week of sales at current demand if I was selling them in my store). That's about 5 hours worth of producing integrated circuits with my current electronics factory, and I only produce integrated circuits part of the time in order to use them in my other products (cameras, cpus, motherboards, laptops, etc). So I probably only wind up using about 10 tungsten ore per day.

I was mostly just saying that I need SOME of it, so I hope the guys that produce it don't die off. I can't even come close to supporting big producers of it with my small production facilities, but I do need some of it, so I'm hoping other producers (someone making light bulbs could use a lot more tungsten powder) start up and begin buying these raw materials more so the raw material sellers can stay in business, since I notice some of the folks selling the materials b2b are low (or even negative) net worth.

I don't use a whole lot of silica sand either. That 5635 silicon takes about 8340 silica sand to make. I've been doing a bit of glass production too, but it's still not that much money. Like I said, I'm way too small to support raw materials producers all by myself. At higher qualities I think you can make a decent profit on exports though, right? I never really tried that.
Kev Q
RJ: Donald Trump
CO: Donald Trump

+ / -

Total Posts: 9
I will be producing any ore or mineral which people request - PM me here http://www.capitalism-online.com/eos/player/768
Dan Laurence
RJ: Sourpuss
CO: Sourpuss

+ / -

Total Posts: 49
Hey now, I do have 8 or 9 mill tied up in factories, I just didn't build an R&D bigger than 20 or waste money on extra plots.
Tony Soprano
RJ: Tony Soprano
CO: Anthony Soprano

+ / -

Total Posts: 30
How do you earn player fame in Capitalism Online? In the beta I just did quests and the fame went to my player. I've only done one quest so far and it didn't increase my player fame, only the fame for my company. How else could I earn influence aside from the Welfare Center without increasing my fame level?
Michael Tsui
RJ: Reisen
CO: Reisen Udongein Inaba

Post Rating: -1
+ / -

Total Posts: 45
Crying out for Silicon (not sand) and Tungsten.
Brent Goode
RJ: BB Goode
CO: BB Goode

Post Rating: 58
+ / -

Total Posts: 506
When you assume, you make an ass out of you, me not so much.
First, the goods I am importing did double. I bought them anyway, and they dropped again yesterday anyway. Someone did/didn't do something somewhere.

I actually make 7 of the 8 goods in my first store. I import for the second one until I can make what I need there, or find fair B2B's to buy. But I will not buy something for 10, that I then have to retail against the very person I buy them from (or others, either way) when the retail is at 5. That is just dumber that dirt.

Game is supposed to be about manufacturing and selling goods, not just selling imports.
No. To paraphrase Scot a bit, the game is about presenting the most complex realistic economic sim on the market. Like it or not, for you done-dimensional myopic neanderthals out there, that includes a viable import/export market. The idea is that a player can take whatever approach they wish to play, and play it. If they have to deal with slimmer margins on high-priced, high-Q imports, so be it. But it should be a profitable avenue to play if they choose. If they have to sell a bazillion low-cost, low-Q imports at pittance level prices to make their money, so be it. But it should be a profitable avenue to play if they choose.

Since the day I got here, I have been watching manufacturers cry about how they have to compete to make money. "Imports are unfair" they cry. "People are undercutting the market" they cry. "No one is buying B2B" they cry. Then you look up their goods, and they want 40X cost on the B2B. So when someone comes along and figures 10X-20X cost is good enough for them to live on, the craven greed mongers cry about how stupid those others are for daring to cut into their market shares and compete. If the Import markets are at 15X cost for a product of quite inferior quality, heaven help, us that is unfair! The game is not here for one type of player to play one strategy of game. That was invented a long time ago. It was called Monopoly. It comes in a box and has a board with a whole 48 squares, dice and cards.

I have gotten a few IGM's lately from players offering assistance in strategy. Nearly all of them say the same thing..."Build a big store and stock it with one import and turn it over. You will make money." Hmmm.....

The point is, I am after a fluid system where all the parts are working correctly. The idea of a building-driven demand that is saturated with only 200 players, or a couple of players buying on a import market and driving the price through the roof, are problems with the system. And I want them fixed. There is no reason for such knee-jerk adjustments by the system to such small numbers. Things should work in small increments, and require large numbers to make big changes.

The system, to live up to what it wants to become, has to be bigger than the individual player total to begin with. If it wants to use building count/size to adjust demand, great. But it should start with a built in base of buildings that allows for smooth game-play with only 25 players, as much as 2500 players. Let the players build upon something that already works. Right now, Econosia plays like it has 67 people, 3 dogs and a parakeet as total population. That is just too small minded. We can do better. We must do better.

Finally, this is not a thread for making deals. There is a whole forum for that. Can we keep this to debating the issues with Cap. And it is a good debate that needs to happen. Let's stay focused on that, here.
martin uzz
RJ: Martinuzz
CO: martinuzz

+ / -

Total Posts: 59
My bad choice was to buy from the import market at day one, when all fruits and vegetables cost $20-$50 there. I just thought "ah well, new server, it seems prices have changed, I'll just sell them at a bit less than x2 and I'll still make nice cash", and spent 2-3 mil on stocking a single farmer's market. In one day, I saw the retail values for those goods drop to less than 1/40th of the price I paid for them. Meaning, selling them at a bit less than x2 wasn't working at all. I am slowly recovering, by producing all those 8 crops myself, slowly decreasing the cost price of my total stock while I do so. I can sell 2 crops at a slight profit now, but I consider my 2-3 million starter investment lost to this absurd price drop. I should have waited one day after the new server started before beginning to play. At that time, the b2b prices were already brought back to more normal levels by Scott.
Cian Kemp

Post Rating: 2
+ / -

Putting 2-3 million out of 5 million in stock was your main mistake, not just importing. That means you only had 2-3 million left for the actual buildings.

If you had put 4.5 million in farmers markets and 500k in stock you could have sold the stock twice as fast, making twice the money - in addition to being able to adjust for market conditions if things changed. I saw fruit going up pretty cheap on the b2b really early, so farmers market owners snagged those and resold at way cheaper than your imported fruit. Fruit is easy to make, all it takes is water - you should have guessed that people would be producing it cheaply on day 1.

Honestly though, after seeing your huge mistake you should have just restarted and did things differently. That's kinda what it's there for.
Bruce Wayne
RJ: Bruce Wayne
CO: Bruce Wayne

+ / -

Total Posts: 37
My apparel stores actually started to cost too much in terms of imports and profits went way day (around the time quality was changed). I was forced to spend around 500K to set up a manufacturing base so I could make a few products directly and cut down on import costs. No research, that's going to cost me even more at the price of expansion. My inability to make nylon thread is also not good at all. I'd need 1M just for the land and another 400K at least to get a prochem plant up. Not doing bad but not where I hoped either.
Previous 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 Next

You need to register or login to post a reply.